PDA

View Full Version : Moose Racing throttle for little hands?

johng_22
10-13-2010, 12:30 PM
My 6yr old is having thumb fatigue issues with the stock thumb throttle after about 20 minutes of riding. I've seen threads about twist throttles and rotating the stock throttle up a little to help. I don't want to introduce a twist throttle to him.

Are the Moose Thumb throttles any easier for the little guys to operate without wearing out their thumb so quickly? Any other products that you'd recommend?

fomospede
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
more saddle time! stretch it out, the muscles that is .also if you can delete the stock oil injection you will take one of the cables off the throttle ,but that wouldnt work in most stock race classes

FISH ON!
10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
You can also shorten the carb slide spring. That will probably give you the biggest gain.

tyler70t
10-13-2010, 04:56 PM
We had to cut the spring too, last season Tyler actually stopped in the middle of a race because his thumb was tired. Also you might want to put a new cable on it.

jay-r
10-13-2010, 08:24 PM
If you block off the oil injection, go with the single pull throttle cable, and the Honda 90 thumb throttle it will be very easy and shorter push.

The 90 thumb throttles can be found new on ebay very cheap. I ordered the single pull throttle cable for an Apex from Gary at G-Force. Works great.

jetta75
10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Get a thumb buddy or thumb saver. Moose and a couple others make one. I made my own with a strip on aluminum, foam, zip ties, and some electrical tape before I knew you could buy one. It puts the throttle bend more parrallel to the bars. It was like flipping a switch. No more complaining or stopping to rest shaking his hand. I had no need to cut the springs or anything else. Have had it about 3 years now.

T@AFP
10-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Get a hold of Justin @ max RPM. He has a throttle housing w cable that is easier to push and a shorter throw.
We found it a must have.

jakesdad6
10-19-2010, 02:59 PM
my son (7 YRS OLD) races his quad but messes around on his dirtbike and he ask me to but a twist throttle on his quad i no there is mixxed emotion about this but my son is a great ridder and i notice when he races his quad he would be pushing the throttle with his palm do to thumb being tired i put the twist throttle on and he loves it wont race any of the other quads unless i change them to twist. ever since i put it on he has wrecked less in the races and faster lap times which all lead to better finishes

3400ben
10-24-2010, 10:51 AM
400ex throttle housing and new cable. 400ex housing has a 1/2 inch less throw .