PDA

View Full Version : Loose cam chain?

JTrider
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
What is considered a loose cam chain? I just replaced the head gasket and the chain has a little play. Is there suppose to be some play in it? I can't lift it off the sprocket but it comes pretty close to 3/4 the top of the teeth.

Thanks

4reeds
10-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I would replace it. Your tensioner should take the slack out of it. If its loose with it engaged then you should replace it.

JTrider
10-13-2010, 02:50 PM
When replacing the chain is it necessary to replace the sprocket, guide and tensioner at the same time?

4reeds
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
No.I replaced the guide that the tensioner pushes on and the chain.If the rest looks good I wouldn't worry about it.If you have the money and want to replace all of it,it wouldn't hurt. Also if you haven't done the clutch,you might as well.You'll have it all opened up anyways.

hocman123
10-13-2010, 03:24 PM
yea i would replace both guides and the tensioner. But if the budget is not big enough just the guide the tensioner pushed on should be good enough. and when ur all done u should have close to no slack in the chain at all.

o and u should order a honda crf 450 timing chain. I think like a model 03. the chain is wider with 2 extra plates makeing it stronger and i think it is a little cheaper