PDA

View Full Version : OE '86 PJ carb

4x4 AG
10-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Ok, i must be an idoit, or the search function on this site is tough to work. I try searches, but come up with too many useless post.
"carb" that gets you alot. Any help on that issue is apprecaited.

my OQ, I have an 86 PJ carb that needs rebuilding. I notice most people are not running this carb, is there a reason?

Also, i seem to find rebuild kits for it, but not new floats. that is what i need, i think. it seems to keep getting stuck.

86 Quad R
10-13-2010, 09:28 AM
the OEM carb is fine depending on the type riding you do and the porting you have. most use larger carbs because they allow for higher revs that their particular porting may demand.

over time the carb float can get worn where the hinge pin goes through and can cause what you describe but i've rarely seen this(mainly on an engine that vibrates excessively). generally speaking the build up of old gas on the brass seat and/or needle is the culprit.

in the event that you acyually need a new float the ones for the airstriker and or regular pwk will work. :cool:

4x4 AG
10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
yah, i am stock jug, last bore i think, stock carb, stock air box, and fmf fatty. so there is no porting, no nothing. i think the PO had the same issue with the carb. I guess i just need to try a rebuild of it.

i plan on running the stock engine for a while and upgrading later. so at that time i am assuming i will get a new carb.

86 Quad R
10-13-2010, 09:47 AM
is the brass seat and needle all lacquer'd up from old gas?

4x4 AG
10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
is the brass seat and needle all lacquer'd up from old gas?

not really. when the carb started spilling over fuel this weekend, i pulled it apart assuming the float was stuck and i was gonna take a look. when i pulled it apart everything looked ok. i cleaned everything up with some carb cleaner and put it back together. then turned the fuel back on and started it up. all seemed fine. ripped it up and down the streat some and it started leaking again.

89rwfo
10-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Might check the float level before you buy anything. For some reason people like to jack with the adjustment tab on the float.

86 Quad R
10-13-2010, 10:05 AM
is the carb with any fine amounts of trash in the bowl when pulling it down and is the float needle tip rubber or metal? also what is the float level set at?

4x4 AG
10-13-2010, 12:37 PM
is the carb with any fine amounts of trash in the bowl when pulling it down and is the float needle tip rubber or metal? also what is the float level set at?

carb was clean. float needle tip is metal. and the float level was on as best as i could tell. tough to measure.

it seems to work fine until after i romp on it.

86 Quad R
10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
there is your problem right there. i've had more trouble with carbs that came in the shop with the metal needles than any other. you'll be lucky if it hasnt whollered the seat out from vibes

4x4 AG
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
there is your problem right there. i've had more trouble with carbs that came in the shop with the metal needles than any other. you'll be lucky if it hasnt whollered the seat out from vibes

do you have a picture of exactly what you are talking about? I just want to make sure we are talking the same thing, and i get the right thing when i replace it.

thanks.

86 Quad R
10-13-2010, 01:38 PM
the fuel float shut off needle is what im talking about. arent you?

4x4 AG
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
the fuel float shut off needle is what im talking about. arent you?

the little fat needle that moves up and down when the float raises or lowers? it has a little pin in the middle that moves up and down.

mine is all metal.

86 Quad R
10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
we on same page. those play avic on the brass seat.