PDA

View Full Version : How do you quit a job?

jesseweaver
10-13-2010, 04:18 AM
i've worked at this farm for like 7 years now, i started when i was 12. its a great job but i frame houses full time too and im tired of working there too, the 16 hour days get old. i did for about a year and i still could but i'd rather just have time to myself in the evening. but im not sure at all what to say to him, i feel so bad for quitting :ermm:

416exfreak
10-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Im in a similar situation..

What's going to hurt worse.. working 16hr days or having to tell the guy you just cant do it anymore?

I mean, if youre suffering from physical/mental exhaustion then its best for you to stop working on the farm. If the guy has his head on right he'll see that you've got better things to move on to, and that you're not the 12 year old boy you used to be trying make a little money for some quad parts (or whatever you bought).

I work 12hr midnight shifts (6pm-6am) on a varying schedule (impossible to get used to a pattern) and the guy that got me my job is a long time family friend, but I have an offer to go to a state job with full benefits and better pay.. obviously, im going with the state job. I, like you cannot figure out how to break it to him though. I just dont want hard feelings or resentment.. probably the same boat you're in.. correct me if im wrong?:)

CJM
10-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Go to your boss at the farm and let them know you need to talk to them (most of the time this type of situation immediately brings out in your bosses mind "hey this guys gonna quit" at least it always did when I had it happen to me.

Just be honest and let them know you cant juggle two jobs right now and you need to leave this one. Give them 2 weeks to find a replacement and finish off your last 2 weeks and thats that.

stoopidbot
10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Go to your boss at the farm and let them know you need to talk to them (most of the time this type of situation immediately brings out in your bosses mind "hey this guys gonna quit" at least it always did when I had it happen to me.

Just be honest and let them know you cant juggle two jobs right now and you need to leave this one. Give them 2 weeks to find a replacement and finish off your last 2 weeks and thats that. I agree, don't burn any bridges

fastredrider44
10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Give them at least two weeks and offer to help train a new employee or whatever you have to do. 7 years is a long and it could be a good reference on a resume at a later date. I left a job by quitting with no warning, and it still haunts me.

destey
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuBRk6tjiUQ

TCracin440ex
10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
an old man once told me not to give a notice when you are going to quit. just quit. he said they dont give a 2 week notice when they are going to fire you, then why should you give a 2 week notice when your going to quit

you could also give them the 2 day notice...i quit TODAY

CJM
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
an old man once told me not to give a notice when you are going to quit. just quit. he said they dont give a 2 week notice when they are going to fire you, then why should you give a 2 week notice when your going to quit

Problem with that whole idea is if the other job doesnt pan out and perhaps you only left to pursue more money and didnt have a bad situation at the old job your SOL if you want to go back to your old job.

Never burn a bridge unless its a really crappy job. I have only done it once and that was b/c the jerk of a supervisor was a total arse to me for months before I finally snapped.

Scro
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex

A two week notice is always a good thing, no matter if you like working for them or not. I know I would be leary of hiring someone whose resume said they quit without a notice. Or I would atleast question it. How would the employer know you're not going to do it to them?

jesseweaver
10-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Im in a similar situation..

What's going to hurt worse.. working 16hr days or having to tell the guy you just cant do it anymore?

I mean, if youre suffering from physical/mental exhaustion then its best for you to stop working on the farm. If the guy has his head on right he'll see that you've got better things to move on to, and that you're not the 12 year old boy you used to be trying make a little money for some quad parts (or whatever you bought).

I work 12hr midnight shifts (6pm-6am) on a varying schedule (impossible to get used to a pattern) and the guy that got me my job is a long time family friend, but I have an offer to go to a state job with full benefits and better pay.. obviously, im going with the state job. I, like you cannot figure out how to break it to him though. I just dont want hard feelings or resentment.. probably the same boat you're in.. correct me if im wrong?:)

yea pretty much, but it only gets worse lol. i want my brother to be able to work there because its a great job and pays great and thats pretty much what bought my bikes and mustang when i was 16. but hes 11 and i can tell hes not quite ready yet and i could easily find other kids but im afraid if they start, my brother wont ever get a chance :ermm:

cool 300ex
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
lol that you tube clip! Just talk it out with the owner of the farm. Tell him your brother might be interested in a job next year. I gave a 2 weeks notice at a job and they got mad that i was quitting and said today can be your last day. So then i had to wait 2 weeks to start my new job and didn't have any income for them 2 weeks.

JForestZ34
10-14-2010, 08:21 AM
My opinion is, it's a courtesy for you to give him 2 weeks notice.. You don't have to.. If your good friends with them because you've been there so long I would give the 2 weeks. But to be honest most of the jobs I've had when I gave my 2 weeks notice, my boss did one of 2 things. 1. I would work 1 week and he wold say don't bother coming in the other week, so I sit in limbo for a week.. Or 2. They would work the hell outta me for the last weeks of my employ..

The last job I just left because he was verbally talking down to me calling me all kinds of names and what not...

Example: One day I get back to his shop after a long day and we are joking around calling each out %$^#$ and everything else, so I'm just about out the door and he said something but he brought my kids into it. So I look at him and say " Be quiet or I'll stuff you in that truck tire". I'm about to walk out the door and he wraps me in the back of the head and says " That's for messing with me" :eek2: I look him dead in the face and say " If you ever touch or hit me like that again, we are going to have a problem" and just walked out... Worked there for about 4 weeks after that and the verbal BS just got worse so I just got in my car after work and left.. Never went back...

James

Tommy Warren
10-14-2010, 05:40 PM
let all his animals go!