PDA

View Full Version : ATV Security

99RED4X4
10-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I've been searching this topic for almost a year not and haven't come up with much.

What is the best way to prevent quad theft?

Now we all know that you can wrap a chain to a beam, but what if the pricks are prepared with heavy duty lock cutters?

I usually just do a Massive Pad Lock through the sprocket. Its not fool proof, but I think that it would be hard to spot at night and they would wonder why the bike won't move.

I'm just looking to explore new options. I'd like to hear you guy's tactics.

Also, what do you do when your leaving you bike on an non-enclosed trailer overnight?

I'm real paranoid about getting stuff stolen. I live in the country, but being that bikes are the #1 thing stolen, I worry. ALOT.

250ex_dan
10-12-2010, 07:22 PM
i no how you feel man.
Same thing out here were i live.
nice ?>:)

Scro
10-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Wrap a chain around the frame, and then through 5 or 6 empty propane tanks. It's not going to prevent them from cutting the chain, but it will be very loud from the tanks clanking around.

99RED4X4
10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Interesting, to say the least. That is a great thought though, set something up so that if they try, you will hear them.

Obviously, an alarm on the garage would be a great thing, but many of us just can't afford that

09RappySe
10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I have mine in my shed which is locked with windows, door and motion detectors and camera surveilance for the outside. I don't normally leave my quads on a trailer....but if I have to, I use a high strenth multi strand cable to lock each bike to the trailer, it would be tough to cut with just a pair of bolt cutters, I also have full coverage insurance on both bikes...... and of course a Sig 40 very close by.

Rkangel7
10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
My first philosophy is: Out of site, out of mind. If thieves can't see it, they're less tempted to steal it. Which is why an understated enclosed trailer is on my short list of future purchases. But even with an enclosed trailer I've seen owners get out done by their sticker addictions. They'll slap Fox, Got Sand?, or other stickers all over their trailers, advertising to the world that they have expensive toys, then wonder why their trailer was broken into.

My second philosophy is to make it as difficult and as noisy as possible for a thief to walk off with it. Chain is noisy, disc brake alarms are noisy. And I make sure to lock it down to an immovable object, with something that is not easily cut. Given enough time thieves can steal almost anything, but I figure the longer it takes and the noisier it is the better the chance they won't get away with it.

My third philosophy is to insure it, just in case.

09RappySe
10-12-2010, 07:41 PM
For noise makers, you could try these, you would hear them for sure.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=XEN_XZZ6L-SS_G

Or something like this.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/03202007105711MWEDPA.htm

3400ben
10-12-2010, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rkangel7
My first philosophy is: Out of site, out of mind. If thieves can't see it, they're less tempted to steal it. Which is why an understated enclosed trailer is on my short list of future purchases. But even with an enclosed trailer I've seen owners get out done by their sticker addictions. They'll slap Fox, Got Sand?, or other stickers all over their trailers, advertising to the world that they have expensive toys, then wonder why their trailer was broken into.

My second philosophy is to make it as difficult and as noisy as possible for a thief to walk off with it. Chain is noisy, disc brake alarms are noisy. And I make sure to lock it down to an immovable object, with something that is not easily cut. Given enough time thieves can steal almost anything, but I figure the longer it takes and the noisier it is the better the chance they won't get away with it.
My third philosophy is to insure it, just in case.[/QUOTE.

X2

3400ben
10-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I like the guys that put there quad in the back of there truck and cruise with it on a Friday night. Then they wonder why it got stolen.

CJM
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Big arse chain, good luck cutting a high grade (say 70) chain with a pair of bolt cutters, an angle grinder is noisy and a battery powered one usually dont have enough oomph.

I keep mine in my garage anyways and when Im out I tend to never leave it out of my site.

togup
10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
A 110 extension cord with one strand naked wrapped around the handle bars and on the seat (to keep the cat from next door off of it)that will get them good of course you may need to keep a lawyer on retainer for the legal ramifications. JUST KIDDING!

But it would be cool

trailrider894
10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 09RappySe
For noise makers, you could try these, you would hear them for sure.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=XEN_XZZ6L-SS_G

Or something like this.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/03202007105711MWEDPA.htm

THe tracking device would add to much weight to my quad. :blah: lol maybe i should re think that krispy kreme is just ate... :(

youngnbald
10-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by togup
A 110 extension cord with one strand naked wrapped around the handle bars and on the seat (to keep the cat from next door off of it)that will get them good of course you may need to keep a lawyer on retainer for the legal ramifications. JUST KIDDING!

But it would be cool

Make sure you remove the circuit breaker or fuse! 220V works better. A .308 rifle with 36x50 scope allows for longer response time if they did get it. Lawyer not needed when no one can find the burial site.

Muzzgit
10-13-2010, 08:11 AM
At home mine live in the garage (under King size fitted bed sheets) and both are chained to the floor. The only way to steel them is with an OXY, after you have gained entry to my shed and moved two cars out the way.

BUT......if someone really wants to steal my quads, I'm sure they could, which is where insurance comes in.

I don't keep my grinder in the same garage, and the keys to both quads live in the house

As for a trailer, although my trailer is enclosed, it is the oldest looking thing you ever saw and I always use the HD chains out of the garage to keep them safe.

I don't ride my quads in my street and I try not to leave them uncovered when the garage door is open - ever.

dns1764
10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
my quads are unlocked in my shed with the keys in the ignitions. the only way out of my yard is through one gate, also unlocked. just need to get me and my .357 magnum.

09RappySe
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by dns1764
my quads are unlocked in my shed with the keys in the ignitions. the only way out of my yard is through one gate, also unlocked. just need to get me and my .357 magnum.

That won't help if you are not home.

finsteratv
10-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by dns1764

just tell me what night your goin out ill come over :p

ish416
10-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I have both of mine in a shed that has a security light and motion sensor with an alarm going into the house. Also have a .410 shotgun, Ruger 10/22 and a Colt .45.

If I am not home, I will park one of my cars directly in front of the door to the shed.

I have seen to many quads, bikes and buggies stolen that had seriously thick chains and locks through brake rotors, the vehicle attached to something, whatever. All easily dealt with using a good set of bolt cutters, propane torch and a little bit of pure oxygen. The ingenuity of thieves is mind boggling. Make it not worth their time to take it with to many obstacles in their way.

Best thing you can do is hide it or at least not advertise where you keep your toys. Get insurance and keep receipts for anything you have done to it, along with a recent picture.
If someone wants what you have and is smart enough, they will take it or attempt to.

CJM
10-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Harder you make it to steal the better, around here I doubt a thief would try and make off with mine. Someone is usually home, its locked inside the garage too with a car usually blocking it in.

SpasticR450
10-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Here's what you do. Buy it one of these alarms lol.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgcUf-diR-g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgcUf-diR-g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>