PDA

View Full Version : legal road riding in il?

beags86
10-12-2010, 05:24 PM
born and raised in the flat land...now i live in colorado, my grandpa told this weekend they passed a law in il making it legal to ride on the road if you have a smv sign and insurance on the quad, also no riding on major hiways... anyway my dad saw a quad riding down the road the other day as well, heard it was going to be in effect oct 1.

anyone know if this is true, or rumors??

(i know is not a 400ex question but i know there a few flatlanders here and this get alot of traffic)

bherriman
10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I live in IL and I have never heard anything about this, which doesnt make it false., I just don't know about it. If this actually did pass and you have to use a Slow moving vehicle sign then you're speed would be limited to 35 m.p.h. legally.

IMSROLL450R
10-13-2010, 05:38 AM
I live in illinois also and haven't heard this but if its true I'd like to know for sure!!!!!!

Deluzioned
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
I know it is legal in arizona. Just need a horn (clown squeeze horn is acceptable), a mirror, lighted license plate holder, and a tag

bkb88
10-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I wish they would just go ahead and make it fully legal to ride on main roads with sport atv's that can easily achieve 55+ mph. Of course they would need highway approved tires, mirror/turn signal kit, and license plates but it would help out so much being able to drive my quad to school every now and then!

f4iracer
10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
yeah it ain't legal here in illinois. They do have some small towns around here though where golf carts are legal in town.

there's some towns around the nation that offer in town riding all year long.

Gilbert West Virginia

http://foxatvlodge.com/

Ian400ex
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
yeah it ain't legal here in illinois. They do have some small towns around here though where golf carts are legal in town.

Gilbert West Virginia

Wow, nice find!

camaromitch
10-14-2010, 07:19 PM

Gilbert West Virginia

This is what heaven will look like friends! :D

beags86
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM

Gilbert West Virginia

yeah it hasn't been legal, but i don't think you should be so quick to judge on this, i have been told now 4 times that a NEW law was passed, but i still need to comfirm this, hence the posting. the NEW law would take place oct 1. in 13 days i doubt alot of people would know about it yet. (read the post man)

f4iracer
10-15-2010, 09:05 AM
You may be referring to some kind of local township laws, but it won't be a state law saying atv's are legal to ride on the road.

I'm sure we would all be aware of something like this. I'm pretty avid in the atv social world. All my neighbors have atvs, family, friends......

There are golf carts that travel in my town. They are required to have orange triangles on the rear and headlights.

beags86
10-15-2010, 02:13 PM
well all i can say is my grandfather said it was on the local news... he's getting old and all but i doubt he is completely wrong on this....

on another note, my father has told me he was talking to a neighbor and they had told him it was only for farmers..

my father is going to call the local sheriff to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

beags86
10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
ok, my father hadn't call anyone. so i took it upon to call my old local sheriff department.

this if what i found out - but before i start do you care to eat your words yet f4iracer??
being your socially connected to the atv world so well i am sure you know this by now.

You may be referring to some kind of local township laws, but it won't be a state law saying atv's are legal to ride on the road.

I'm sure we would all be aware of something like this. I'm pretty avid in the atv social world. All my neighbors have atvs, family, friends......

anyway the new STATE law that went into effect says that a farmer who owns or rents land can legally drive his atv from a farm he owns or rents to another farm he owns or rents. also he can drive his atv from land he own or rents to other land he owns or rents, or any combination or the above.

bascially comes down to this for any fellow farmers out there.. if your farming the land you can now legally drive to it on your atv.

with that being said, you need.
current registration
current liability insurance
working lights
s.m.v. - slow moving vehicle sign
speed limit of 35 mph

thats what i was told today by my old sheriff.
so they pretty much just made it it legal to do what every farmer had been doing for the last 25 years legal.

figures, i spent my first 27 years of life driving from my fathers farm to another piece of land (with timber on it) up the road looking over my shoulder for cops. now as soon as i move away it becomes legal. go figure!

f4iracer
10-16-2010, 09:19 AM
that's the most vague "law" i've ever heard in my life.

do you have any legislature or anything that will show this "law" into effect. I'd like to see something that explains in detail the legality.

Why would you call your local county sheriff to inquire about a state law? It's certainly not an illinois state law i haven't seen anything like this go through.

You should have called the capital or the state police, they will be much more up to date than your local honky sherrifs.

what defines a farmer? Do you have to farm or could you just be a simple landowner that doesn't farm? If so i could apply for this permit and drive all over the place in between properties.

beags86
10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
how is that vague?
seams reasonably clear to me.

i am sure if you looked at the legislation of the bill it wouldn't be so "vague".

why would i call the shreiff? well where my father and grandfather live at. rural il, i don't think i have EVER seen a damn state cop! why would i care if what they know/don't know when they never police the area!

and just you know any local law can be "trumped" if you will by state law, mean any small town/county can make a law and it don't mean **** if it's illegal in the state.

farm·er noun \ˈfär-mər\
Definition of FARMER
1: a person who pays a fixed sum for some privilege or source of income
2: a person who cultivates land or crops or raises animals (as livestock or fish)

oh yeah lastly- no i don't have any offical legislature of this, because i just don't give a damn, maybe you missed the part where i said i was out of the loop because i live in COLORADO!
i simply wanted to know out of my Curiosity, i certainly don't care enough to wait god knows how long on the phone to ask someone in springfield.

if you care so damn much why don't spend some time on the phone and prove to me i am wrong! instead of trying to call me out with no real proof of anything.

and when i do home to visit my folks i will continue to ride my fathers 4x4 wheeler on the road and not care just like i have done for the first 27 years of my life and continue not to care!!

f4iracer
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
easy killer.

yeah anyway, i live here and i'm in the loop and there is no such law going around.

I've heard of the recent local towns allowing these golf carts and side by sides. That has been happening alot around here lately, but nothing about riding four wheelers down the roads to get from farm to farm.

By the way, i live in a rural area also, in fact there is a state police station 15 min. away. Yeah that's right, a state police station in a town of less than 1k people.

IMSROLL450R
10-18-2010, 06:50 AM
I can't find anything on it either. Must just be in that rural area. Who cares anyway I'm not a farmer....

f4iracer
10-20-2010, 06:23 AM
neither am i and it's not going to be like in town so it won't appeal to me at all.