PDA

View Full Version : legal road riding in il?

beags86
10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
born and raised in the flat land...now i live in colorado, my grandpa told this weekend they passed a law in il making it legal to ride on the road if you have a smv sign and insurance on the quad, also no riding on major highways... anyway my dad saw a quad riding down the road the other day as well, heard it was going to be effect oct 1.

anyone know if this is true, or rumors??

Pipeless416
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
well that would be awesome, but i can't imagine it would change anything in my area.

beags86
10-12-2010, 06:03 PM
lol, i posted this in the 400 section just so you would see it pipeless, your the one person i was hoping would know...

Pipeless416
10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
i wish i could help you out, but ive been searching since i read this and can't seem to come up with anything. that would be fun to cruise around campus with the quiet cores out in the duals lol.

Lasher
10-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure about IL but I remember looking into this many years ago and there is one major problem in almost all states.

Once you have 4 wheels, you are no longer in "motocycle" catagory but rather car catagory. This means you must follow all the rules of cars...15 mph bumpers, safety items etc...

3 wheels still falls under motocycle rules.

bean #310
10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
i live in so. ill. and i saw fouwheelers that say police on them and ive been seiing side by sides and golf carts running around town all the time now, they have them big orange triangles on them, but i was out riding my 250r way out in the country and saw a county cop and he pulled me over and gave me a ticket

beags86
10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by bean #310
i live in so. ill. and i saw fouwheelers that say police on them and ive been seiing side by sides and golf carts running around town all the time now, they have them big orange triangles on them, but i was out riding my 250r way out in the country and saw a county cop and he pulled me over and gave me a ticket

when was this?

chicago has police quads.

anyway this supposed new law just took affect.

bean #310
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
i got pulled over yesterday and got a ticket, but ive been seeing utility atvs at the police station for a few weeks or so now they even say police on them

Jim417mx
10-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I live in New Lenox,IL and our police have one 4x4 I believe it is a polaris... I have seen it go down Route 30 a few times which is a main road up here. Anyways we saw him get in the goon position to go up a curb and he got the front wheels up and over, then the rears got up to the curb and started spinning and ended up getting stuck trying to make it up a regular road-side curb... :macho As for the laws.. no idea, but I'm sure its another one of those things the government areas can do and the citizens cannot.

bean #310
10-14-2010, 04:24 PM
haha, thats funny, i think our police are on ranchers or rincons havent looked at them that close, your probably right about just govornment officails being able to ride around but ive seen regular people on golf carts riding around town though

beags86
10-15-2010, 05:06 PM
called the local sheriff today, heres what i found out

the new STATE law that went into effect says that a farmer who owns or rents land can legally drive his atv from a farm he owns or rents to another farm he owns or rents. also he can drive his atv from land he own or rents to other land he owns or rents, or any combination or the above.

bascially comes down to this for any fellow farmers out there.. if your farming the land you can now legally drive to it on your atv.

with that being said, you need.
current registration
current liability insurance
working lights
s.m.v. - slow moving vehicle sign
speed limit of 35 mph

thats what i was told today by my old sheriff.
so they pretty much just made it it legal to do what every farmer had been doing for the last 25 years legal.

figures, i spent my first 27 years of life driving from my fathers farm to another piece of land (with timber on it) up the road looking over my shoulder for cops. now as soon as i move away it becomes legal. go figure!

miller821
10-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by bean #310
haha, thats funny, i think our police are on ranchers or rincons havent looked at them that close, your probably right about just govornment officails being able to ride around but ive seen regular people on golf carts riding around town though

Your a stone's throw from me man...

But from my understanding it can be anyone driving on a back road, who has insurance, valid license, and is adhering to all road laws... I know my GF rides hers about 5 miles to her grandparents and has never had a problem.

bean #310
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
haha ive been riding out in thomsonville by the new and old lakes for ever and never had a problem. i get my 250r built and take it for a test run the first time, i get in trouble with law...go figure but i didnt have insurance and i definatly was not going the speed limit..lol

axellmusic19
10-19-2010, 07:03 PM
I called the local DMV here in St. Paul MN, and they said the reason I can't even put bumpers and lights on and ride it around town is because the original title was manufactured as an All Terrain Vehicle. Therefore I would have to build one from the ground up, meet all standards, and then only use it as a car essentially. However, my neighbor runs the parking at our school and she lets me have a parking space with the motorcycles. Even after riding to school for about a month now, the people don't complain about noise (it's a two stroke) and the officers in town that drive right by me don't seem to mind. I'm very lucky I haven't gotten a ticket but maybe because the locals haven't complained, or they truly care less about me riding on roads. Personally I think that is credited to the fact that snowmobiles run the town in the winter:rolleyes:

bean #310
10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
i read somewhere that you could do something to where you can get a new title so it would be street legal or something, it was a while ago so i dont remember much about it lol

300racer
10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
i live in centralia bout an hour from st louis and i have seen utv's and 4x4 atv's ride throught town alot more this past year.