PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a 91' 250X

bigblue02hd
10-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Back when I was younger I had a clean 87' 250X. Unfortunately, I sold it when I turned 17 to help fund a car restoration my dad and I had underway.

I've always had a sweet spot for the 250X's and would like to find another one someday! Luckily my cousin just aquired one and is planning to sell it, cheap!

So, I'll hopefully be picking up a 91' 250X from my cousin later on this Fall. I've been reading around the forum to see what mods people have done to these and found some interesting info.

I've only seen and ridden this 250X once and its in definite need of a complete rebuild/rehab. The motor smokes and has zero power. It has a few aftermarket parts (pipe/filter), but is mostly stock.

I know I'll end up going overboard on the rebuild, but hey, thats what makes it fun!

What mods should I look into doing during the rebuild? Whats suggested???

Thanks.

bigblue02hd
10-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Anyone???

250X guys I know you're out there... give me some ideas!

Pavoneson1205
10-16-2010, 12:08 PM
are you doing a complete rebuild? beacuse if you are, powder coat the frame a light blue get a aftermarket bumper and nerf bars and take the ugly stock headlight off.

Or mabye clean the fenders as good as you possibly can, sand them down evenly (quite a bit of sanding if they have blotches from stickers or are real old), wipe away the plastic dust then go over them with a heat gun. as you do the heat gun part, the plastic will turn shiny and darker below where the heat gun is. That will make it look nice.

upload a pic of the quad and i could help you some more.

bigblue02hd
10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I'll get some pictures of it as soon as I can. I need to sell my 06' KFX first and then I'll be picking this up. My wife and I are trying to clear up some debt and pay stuff off. So I'm selling a couple things to help out. But, come winter/snow I don't wanna rely solely on my dirtbikes, so I'd like to have another fourwheeler to play with. Kind of a longer, budget build over time.

I know I'll go overboard probably...

But, the plan is to rebuild the top end so I can get it running good again. Do anything thats necessary to ride it first. I know it needs a rear brake reservoir. I already have set of 10" ITP C-series rear rims that I'm gonna pick up a set of tires for.

Then, probably this winter I'll tear it down and redo it from the frame up. I'd like get new plastics and do some more "custom" mods to it over time. I know the rear fender is "stitched" near the kicker now. So I'll probably look into plastics for it eventually.

I've read of 400EX/450R front a-arm/shock mods, etc. Maybe I'll look more into those.

I know going from my 06' KFX I'll need to do some mods to help keep me satisfied.

bigblue02hd
10-30-2010, 10:19 AM
UPDATE:

I got the 06' KFX sold yesterday..... :(

So, hopefully I'll be picking up the 250X this weekend from my cousin. Once I do I'll get some pics and upload them.

Also, I was mistaken, its a 92 250X, not a 91.

One question I had though... with the production years of the 250X... what differences are there, if any, between the 87-88' models and the 91-92' models. Just plastic colors???

Pavoneson1205
10-30-2010, 04:35 PM
yeah i think so because i used a 91 parts 250x on my 87.. im a big fan of both colors lol

bigblue02hd
10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I remembered after posting the front hub bolt patterns are different on the 87' models only.

87's had 4x110mm. both front and rear vs. 88'-91-92' having 4x144mm. front/4x110mm. rear

QuadCobbler
10-31-2010, 06:50 PM
What kind of car was it?

bigblue02hd
11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by QuadCobbler
What kind of car was it?

That I sold the old 87' 250X for????

Well originally it was sold to help fund the purchase/restoration of a Chevelle/Nova/Camaro.... but I ended up with a 69' Elcamino that we restored.

QuadCobbler
11-03-2010, 06:56 AM
an Elcamino:huh you'd been better off keeping the 250x haha JK.
So havee you though about doing any mods to the bike yet? The first thing I would do is get a carb, filter and exhaust. Then I would look at doing the 400ex front a-arms and 400ex or banshee shocks, and a 2001 raptor rear shock. You could get actual after market a-arms and shocks for the 250x if you want to spend a bunch of money, but the 400ex stuff is really cheap.

bigblue02hd
11-03-2010, 07:41 AM
HAHA.... I know, I know.... I wanted a Chevelle, Camaro, or Nova, but we ran across the 69' Elcamino at a friend of my dads. It was the right price at the time so we bought it. I would've been better off just redoing the extra 70' Elcamino my dad had that had less rust then the 69' we bought... but, oh well!!!

As for the 250X...

We had a busy weekend, so I didn't pick it up yet. But, I hope to this week after work or this weekend.

It already has a DG pipe on it. But, my cousin says the bracket is broke on the muffler so its kinda rigged on there right now. I have a Yoshimura TRS slip-on that I'm gonna try to "make work" one way or another......lol. I believe it has a drop in filter, not sure on that.

I plan to get it and assess the damage. I know the only time I've seen it and ridden it was before we went away for a trip to ride in the mountains. It fired right up, but has hardly any power through the gears. It needs the top end rebuilt first and foremost.

Then eventually I hope to look into some used 400EX a-arms/shocks, 01' Raptor rear shock, and the usual mods I see posted on here.

I'll keep you guys updated!!!

Pavoneson1205
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
are you gettin a deal on it?

bigblue02hd
11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Got the 92' 250X last night..... :)

It is better than I remembered it being... but still needs some TLC all around. Its filthy. I need to do some serious cleaning/pressure washing.

The plastics are zip-tied on alot of places. Needs alot of misc. hardware that is missing. The rear fender is stitched by the kickstarter/pipe. What amazes me is how easily is starts. It fires up on 1/2 a kick everytime, 1st kick. But, it does smoke and definitely has some blow-by. I'll need to tear the top end apart and figure out what I need to do.

Apparently the last owner did replace the piston/rings, but rode it all winter in the snow and its worn out again. Thats all I know about its history. They may have never bored it and just re-ringed it. Not sure yet til' I pull it apart.

The GOOD:

Its all there and is a good platform to start a cheap, budget build. The trans. is smooth and reverse works flawlessly. No grinding or harsh shifts. The front brakes are in good shape. It has good Fast Trekkers up front. New Renthal bars/grips. Has aftermarket, Supertrapp full exhaust. K&N filter. Parking brake block off.

The BAD:

Will need top-end rebuilt. The swingarm bushing/bearings are GONE. Rear carrier bearings are alittle loose. Needs rear brake reservoir. Needs a seat cover and plastics eventually.

But, overall I'm very excited about the build of this bike. I always missed my old 87' 250X. :D

bigblue02hd
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
92' 250X pictures from last night:

http://i53.tinypic.com/i6la2w.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/zwgx6x.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2dk056c.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5tw2sl.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/6h23if.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zei8v8.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2qnxqqh.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/30i7wuu.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2uxu6f9.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/j8dunb.jpg

bigblue02hd
11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
This afternoon I'm gonna tackle the dirt. Complete degrease and pressure washing.

Then I want to get that swingarm bolt out and see whats left in there and what exactly I need. Doesn't feel like theres much left besides the bolt, which I'm wondering if its damaged as well. :eek2:

I'll get some clean pics up later tonight.

Also, I need a new front inner tierod on the right side. I know thats a cheap, simple fix. But, I eventually want to swap to 400EX a-arms. What all do I need for the swap to them???

400EX a-arms, 400EX shocks, shock relocation bracket, and 400EX complete tierods??? Do I need the 400EX spindles too?

QuadCobbler
11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
When you take out the pivot bolt be careful not to mushrom over the end of the bolt. If you do you will have to cut the end off with a saw between the frame and swing arm. It shouldn't be to hard to get the bolt out as it has a long sleave that goes from on side to the other, just a for warning they can be a "pita". As far as the a-arm swap, you will need every thing you said. But if you go with banshee shocks ( which I donot know if this is true) you do not need a relocator. The banshee shocks drop right in with the 400ex a-arms. Do not use 400ex spindles. As for the shock relocator, I made my own, I think most of the ones on ebay make the front sit to high. The relocator needs to be taller to lower the font. You can use 400ex shocks, 450 shocks or Z400 shcoks (Z400 shocks are 1" longer than 400ex at least mine are) Z400 shocks would make the fron sit 1" higher. I'm running 400ex shocks on my bike now and they work really good. What ever front end you go with, if the shocks are straight up and down it will ride like crap, make sure they are tilted in on the top at least 10 to 15 degrees. I would get a +1 stearing stem as well. I have a +2 but every one says it is to high, but it works good for me. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

QuadCobbler
11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Just thought of some thing else. I have that same pipe it works great, I would take out half the discs in it though, and I had the same tires , I would have tossed them in a fire if it were legal to burn tires. So I left them in my garage when I moved, they were like brand new, that is how much I hated them :D .

XR200R
11-05-2010, 10:13 AM
my friend did 400 a-arms with banshee shocks, its not bad, lil softer for trail riding and hes about 44" wide in the front like me with +2 burgard 300ex a-arms.

i have extra blaster shocks and they are lil shofter then banshee ones by .25" so they also can be used if you mod the tops.

a banshee rear shock can be used also but most will use raptor 660.

i havent going to the shocks yets but i went with aftermarket axle and a-arms cuz i got a good deal, also i wanted to be able to replace ball joints since every quad i looked at the oem stuff was toast and i didnt wanna deal with that ever again.

also if you stripp the bike gusset up the oem frame, there is a few places they like to crack, 1 being at the foot pegs.

bigblue02hd
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Alright, thanks for the info guys!!!

I think eventually once I tackle the engine (rebuild?) and the other odds n' ends I'll look into the 400EX mods up front. Then maybe the 01' Raptor rear shock.

I'll end up building/fabbing my own shock relocation brackets when the time comes. Also, the pipe is decent, but the rear mount is broken as you can see in the pics. The previous owner jammed some wood screws in there to hold it on. I'll fix that and clean up the header. Or, I do have a Yoshimura TRS slip-on that I might "make work", hmm..??? Also, I have a set of 10" ITP C-series rims for it and I'll be putting some 20" Holeshots on them soon. I'll just keep the stock rims and these tires as spares/backups.

I remember on my old 87' 250X the frame was cracked above the stock front shock mounts. My dad and I rewelded it and added some gussets.

Talking about steering stems.... is that why I see people going with stock 400EX steering stems as well??? Are they taller than the stock 250X/300EX???

XR200R
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
its 1.5" longer but you need to weld stops 180 degrees...get a +2 300ex one used from an aftemarket one...thes oem ones just bent to easy.

QuadCobbler
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I dont know what you do for work, But I made a +2 stem and 1/8 bar clamps for my 300 at work. They both turned out way better than I though they would. The only thing you realy need to make a new stem is the bottom piece for the ty rods to bolt to. I used S.S. tubing and S.S. top plate to mount the bar clamps. I also made 1/8 clamps to mount my old hand gards, but they looked like crap, ti was my first time using the bridge port mill. I also made my shock relocator at work, ti turned out prety good too. Like XR200R said the 400ex stem is longer but you have to weld on new stops and cut off the olds, not to mention the mounting plate for the bars looks really stupid on stock stems.

finsteratv
11-05-2010, 08:01 PM
are you gonna do any engine mods at all?

bigblue02hd
11-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Well stupid me... :rolleyes: I forgot to take some pictures the other afternoon. But, just imagine that same fourwheeler I posted above, but pressure washed, degreased, and actually clean!!!

I have a outdoor shed with lights/elec., but no heat. Thats where I spent last winter rebuilding my 81' Honda XL185S. I told myself not again. The 1-car garage has my Mustang in it, and not enough room with the car in there. But, my basement is well lit, nice and warm, and plenty of space. So, while my cousin was here the other afternoon, we pulled the wheels off and carried the whole 250X down the basement Bilco stairs and into my workshop. Haha.

Then I started the disassembly process last night. Only pulled the swingarm, shock, rear brakes, etc. off. I got lucky on the swingarm bolt and long tube bushing. They were well greased and came right apart without any issues. The bearings are gone on the one side completely. But, luckily the bolt is in good shape, so I only need the swingarm bearing kit. :)

As I figured I'd do... I'm gonna go ahead and strip it down to the bare frame now. Pull everything off, reclean, and then change frame colors. Redo everything from the frame up.

The engine will obviously come out and get a top-end rebuild. I need to pull it apart first and check to see what it needs. It may have just been re-ringed/piston on the stock cylinder, not sure yet!?!

I'd like to do a big-bore kit on it. Not sure yet which one? Throw in a decent cam and top it off with a 400EX carb.

Thoughts/Ideas?

finsteratv
11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
i would go for
330 big bore kit
400ex carb
a good exhaust
and a hot cam if you want to do a big bore.
if you want a little more suspension you could also do a 400ex a-arm swap and 2001 raptor rear shock.

bigblue02hd
11-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Suspension wise.... that is the plan eventually. 400EX a-arms/shocks/tierods and an 01' Raptor rear shock.

Motor wise.... that is the WISH LIST for the engine. Big-bore kit, cam, 400EX carb, current pipe, and a filter.

Are there any companies out there that do big-bore kits where they can send you a "kit" with a new ready to bolt-on cylinder??? I know they were/are out there for my old KFX400. But, everything I see for the 250X is requiring machine work on your existing cylinder. I'd prefer to just order a "bolt-on" big-bore kit.

Thoughts/Ideas!?!

XR200R
11-08-2010, 12:17 PM
stop messing with the 330 kit crap and buy a 350x motor. the motor stock will put a 400ex in its place. do a 410 or a 460 kit on a 350x motor and your gonna make a 450R eat roost all day.

and it wont blow up!

im not spending BS on a 300 motor, the oldschool mods were 350x motor in a streached 250x chassis.

for the cost you spend in a 330 stuff you can get a running 350x motor.

finsteratv
11-08-2010, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by XR200R
[B]stop messing with the 330 kit crap and buy a 350x motor. the motor stock will put a 400ex in its place. do a 410 or a 460 kit on a 350x motor and your gonna make a 450R eat roost all day.

and it wont blow up!

im not spending BS on a 300 motor, the oldschool mods were 350x motor in a streached 250x chassis.

for the cost you spend in a 330 stuff you can get a running 350x motor. [
dont the 350 motors take some work to get into a 300ex or 250x chassis?

XR200R
11-09-2010, 05:27 AM
350x motor is a 100% bolt in, getting it in is what the problem, its a tighter fit then a 300 motor but it can be done.

bigblue02hd
11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
At this point I'd like to just get what I have redone and running good. I've thought about the 350X swap... but not at this point.

I'd like to find a "bolt-on" big-bore kit. What are good companies out there to look into???

Or, if I can't find a "kit". Then I'll have to go with machine work and a new oversized piston/ring kit. What are some good companies for cams??? Worth it?

finsteratv
11-09-2010, 08:45 PM
one of the most popular cam companies is hotcams and ive heard some good things about sparks cams for 400ex's

bigblue02hd
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, finally an update:

Haha.....
http://i55.tinypic.com/105y4wo.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/k022cy.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2rcy4d1.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2lm1190.jpg

bigblue02hd
11-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Hopefully, I'll be doing some sand blasting on that frame/parts today. Then I need to get the motor pulled apart and see what it needs.

Looks like I have a lead on some stock 400EX aarms, but if anyone out there has stock 400EX front shocks (or other shocks that will work for this setup) and 400EX tierods PM me!!!

bigblue02hd
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Just thinking ahead....

Once I get the motor done and all the rolling chassis done/painted and ready I'm gonna probably put the stock plastics back on at first so I can ride.

But, eventually I'd like to do some new/good used plastics. I love the way the 07'-up plastics look on these older 250Xs/300EXs. I can make my own fender mounts, no problems there. But, what can be done about the kickstarter on the 250X. There will be no "relief" in the plastic for it. I suppose it will just have to "hang out" next to the plastics.

Also, the new 07' up plastics require a new 07' up seat as well, correct???

What other newer plastic can be "made to fit"??? 250EX, 07'-up 300EX, 400EX????

Thoughts/Ideas?!?

bigblue02hd
11-16-2010, 08:44 PM
UPDATE:

Got the frame all blasted and primed now so it doesn't take on any surface rust. Came out nice and clean!

Also, got the head pulled off the motor tonight and found out something interesting. No one seemed to know the exact history of this motor. They said it had piston/rings put in it back around 2008, but no one knew if it had been bored or what.

Well turns out it has been bored and has a Wiseco 12:1 .060" over piston in it now... :eek2:

So, my best bet is going be seeing if it will clean up at .080" over and throwing in new Wiseco piston/ring kit.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2is8t1f.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2potaug.jpg

Pavoneson1205
11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Are you painting the frame because i recomend light blue it looks AWESOME!

XR200R
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
if you need parts my friend is parting a 300ex and a 250x. hes got a +4 lone stare and a nicee bearing carrier forsale and the 400ex front stuff running banshee shocks, it rides really nice.

let me know, cuz im posting it all forsale for him sunday on here.

smr
11-18-2010, 01:38 PM
I got some Banshee shocks I'll sell.

bigblue02hd
11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys!

I'm currently gonna concentrate on getting the motor done and back together. While I'm waiting on that I'm cleaning up and painting suspension/chassis parts. As for colors, I've got a few ideas in mind.

I've got 400EX aarms already and a set of 450R front shocks on their way.

I still need 400EX stock tierods and some misc. 250X/300EX parts. I've got a "wanted" thread listed for those.

bigblue02hd
11-26-2010, 07:44 AM
UPDATE:

Got some painting and assembly done.... frame, a-arms, spindles, steering stem.

I know everyone will say "should've powdercoated...", but, that wasn't in my "budget build"..lol.

Working on my shock relocation bracket now. Should be pretty nice when I'm done and it cost me nothing... all stuff I had laying around.

When I have time I'm continuing on with cleaning/painting/assembling misc. parts. Also, I'm waiting on some other parts to arrive.

http://i54.tinypic.com/dc8ltt.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/11icn7o.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2hnuxiq.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/t0lsfb.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2056r5t.jpg

bigblue02hd
11-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Another Update:

.... if anyone cares, or is following this build......?

Pulled the carrier out of the swingarm and to my suprise its a Lonestar Racing carrier.... has good bearings/seals inside, but the adjustment holes are beat up on the outside. Oh well, it'll work!

http://i54.tinypic.com/n2oc9l.jpg

More cleaning, painting, assembly....

And before anyone asks, I'm also building an "L" bracket on the back of the shock reloction bracket to tie to the frame to keep it from shifting L to R when shock force is applied.

http://i55.tinypic.com/1yby9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2zpmt91.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/20jlgdx.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ldblfo.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/307newy.jpg

cik orange
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
looking good

bigblue02hd
11-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks..... Its getting there, one piece at a time!!!

bigblue02hd
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Well, sometime has passed since the last update. I'm still cleaning up misc. pieces and painting parts. Waiting on the last order of items to come in still. I should have a complete rolling chassis by this weekend.

Onto the engine, I got my new Wiseco piston/ring kit finally. My dad and I will be cleaning up the cylinder to fit the new .080 piston/ring kit. I got my new complete gasket set yesterday so I should be able to start putting the engine back together soon.

While its apart I was considering throwing in a stage 1 Hot Cam off ebay for about $130. Will it be worth it??? Gains?

The engine will be rebuilt .080 over, filter, full Supertrapp exhaust, and the Hot Cam if its worth it. I'll also add a stock 400EX carb. eventually to handle the fuel.

Thoughts/Ideas???

Pavoneson1205
12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
you went with the blue like i suggested! Looks great!

bigblue02hd
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks... Yeah its coming together!

The blue was in the plans from the start. My 02' Silverado HD is Indigo Blue Metallic. I had planned on painting the frame to match with some of the extra paint I had leftover from colormatching my frontend on the HD.

CorvetteZ06
12-17-2010, 06:50 PM
looks great, the blue is amazing! is that the original honda model year sticker on the front frame rail??

bigblue02hd
12-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks...

Yeah its hard to get a picture of the dark metallic blue... the flake in it really pops when out in the sun. But, taking pictures in my basement doesn't give the best results, flash or not!

Yep, original sticker on the front frame. Don't really know why I left it. I just did...lol!

bigblue02hd
12-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Another update:

Its sitting on all fours... went through all the nuts/bolts and torqued everything! Time to get working on the motor... gotta trip planned in 3 wks. so its gotta be ready!!!

Also, waiting on the last of ebay purchases to arrive.... Hot Cam (stage 1), filter, seat cover.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zjbcqe.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/1zfpg8i.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/236tfb.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/103sjft.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/9bjjph.jpg

Spare ITP 10" rims:
http://i56.tinypic.com/70u814.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/fna1l1.jpg

After wetsanding and one quick polish:
http://i56.tinypic.com/21a9xld.jpg

CorvetteZ06
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
looks great!! are you gonna run the tires thats on it now?

bigblue02hd
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks!

I'm gonna have to run these as they are the only ones I have...... unless Santa brings me some!?!

I plan on running the fronts until they're worn out. The rears are bald as is and one has a plug in it that leaks.

I'd like to buy some 20/11/10 Holeshots for the 10" ITP rims that I cleaned up.

bigblue02hd
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
The Hot Cam was delivered yesterday..... seat cover and UNI filter are on their way!!!

Hopefully the week between X-mas and New Years I'll be able to finish all the motor work and have it running by the first of the year!!!

bigblue02hd
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Making some progress.... which is good b/c I'm planning on riding this thing next weekend when we go to the mountains!

Plastics painted, new seat cover on, UNI filter arrived, Stage 1 Hot Cam arrived, motor work/assembly to be done this weekend/nights this week, controls/cables on, exhaust cleaned up and painted.

Old seat, yuck!
http://i54.tinypic.com/d8cwx.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/wc0gv6.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/zohmr8.jpg

New seat cover, yes!
http://i54.tinypic.com/30vnkwo.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/9tpqb7.jpg

How it sits right now, front plastics just sitting on there.
http://i55.tinypic.com/1414od3.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2vxotj5.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/11j2a20.jpg

QuadCobbler
01-03-2011, 05:31 AM
wow that seat cover turned out way better than I though it would. What plastic are you painting or painted? Neither the front or the rear look painted. Either way the bike is looking really good.

CorvetteZ06
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
bigblue-- rear plastics that you painted look pretty good, what kinda paint did you use?? what prep did you do to the plastic?? BTW, seat cover looks awesome!! is that a Honda seat cover from a 300EX, or a CEET brand?

250xfreak
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
looking good, I always liked 250x's probably cause it was my first quad when I was 14. I justed picked up a '88 yesterday thats pretty rough, not sure if I am going to part it out or not.

bigblue02hd
01-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys!

Seat cover was just off ebay. I knew I wanted an "OEM style" and this one was like $37. Plus if fits my "new color scheme/design". It did turn out pretty good, IMO! But, it was a bit of a PITA at times during the install. I had to do alot of heating with the heat gun, stretching, stapling, re-stretching, re-stapling, haha.

As for the plastics... in those pics only the white had been painted. The orig. white plastics had yellow'd alot. I cleaned them good, sanded lightly, used a degreaser/paint prep. cleaner, adhesion promoter, and then white Krylon Fusion. I did this same thing on my 81' Honda XL, in red though, and its been holding up fine. We'll see?!?

This will do for now. I wanted white plastics anyway, and would love to upgrade at some point to the 07'+ style, but its still alot of $$$ for all the stuff needed to do the swap. Also, orig. custom white Maiers are expensive too. So, this was the cheapest solution!!!

** I'll update with new progress pics in a bit once they're uploaded!

bigblue02hd
01-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Motor-- bottom end assembled and painted. Polished a couple parts and painted misc. pieces:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2n7mn1i.jpg

Went on a shopping spree this morning... haha! Last few things I needed:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2elxuz7.jpg

New Holeshots on the 10" ITP rims:
http://i55.tinypic.com/25h0ihe.jpg

Got the bottom end in the frame, some things hooked up.
http://i53.tinypic.com/vd32ac.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/t9jll5.jpg

Overall now. All the plastics finally painted... white and black! New MSR red grips and Honda bar pad:
http://i51.tinypic.com/4ic7jb.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/bhzoll.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/53sj9g.jpg

250xfreak
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
what kind of paint did you use on the motor?

beastlywarrior
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
lookin good

bigblue02hd
01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys!!!

I'll get the brand for you tomorrow..... but, it is a high heat engine enamel, "cast iron" color. I'd been using it to paint bolts/nuts and misc. things.

I liked the color, so I figured I'd use it.

QuadCobbler
01-04-2011, 05:45 AM
I was just going to ask the same question on the paint. It looks just like the CRF 250s and 450s engine color. Ur bike turned out really good.

bigblue02hd
01-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks!

Engine paint is Rust-oleum Engine Enamel, 500*, cast iron color.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2r5ulgw.jpg

I was just thinking how its turned out pretty decent. But, seeing it step by step its not as big of "wow factor". That was until I went back and looked at the pics of when I bought it, exactly two months ago yesterday.

11/3/10-
http://i53.tinypic.com/i6la2w.jpg

1/3/11-
http://i51.tinypic.com/4ic7jb.jpg

evan402
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
looks great, i found one on Craigslist this morning, a 1990 for 700. going to go look at it tonight, ill be getting it if i can find another home for my lt230. Wife wont let me have more than 3 quads :(

bigblue02hd
01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
^^^ Nice, and thanks!!!

bigblue02hd
01-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Now that I've got the new tires/rims on the rear I want new matching front tires/wheels soooo bad!!! Haha...

Our trip got pushed back one weekend, so now I should have enough time to get it done and ready for next weekend!

Few last things to do:

-- Bleed brakes
-- Finish some wiring
-- Top-end
-- Install exhaust
-- Install carb
-- Recheck torque on everything

CorvetteZ06
01-11-2011, 08:12 AM
looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used the same engine paint, its great, durable, and looks awesome! your plastics look brand new:cool:

bigblue02hd
01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks man!

Yeah the engine paint looks great. I hoped it would hold up and be durable, we'll see?!?

Same thing on the plastics. They look good, but I'm not sure how they'll hold up. Only time will tell. Biggest downfall is with the fronts every scratch or mark the orig. blue is gonna show through from underneath.

But, doing this definitely made up my mind. When/If I get new plastics, they will be WHITE. I'm really liking the color scheme!

Pavoneson1205
09-22-2011, 08:06 PM
how did it turn out? Can you post some final pics because I might do the same with my bike, and how much did it cost overall?

iforce
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM
bump for final pics
great econo build man!

bholzgen
11-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Very nice project. Last year I bought an 87 250x to restore. Here is a pic of the frame after it was sandblasted and painted. Since then I am almost finished. Everything is on except for rear end and plastics.

bigblue02hd
11-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, a YEAR has passed... today was the 1 yr. anniversary of me buying and starting on this 250X... Wow!!! :eek2:

Its been a busy, busy summer and other projects/kids/house/work took my time up. But, after a year of waiting and waiting....

I should have pics and a video this weekend if all goes as planned!

I'll keep you guys posted!

bholzgen
11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
How do you like those 450r shocks? Im running them on my 250r, and they are pretty stiff. Ive got 400ex shocks on my 250x with a shock spacer and its really nice.

bigblue02hd
11-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Ok, FINALLY an update.... after all, only a year has passed. Haha.

The "X" has pretty much been sitting since the last update.... Back in August I finally got around to getting the top-end done.. bored .080 over for the new Wiseco piston/ring set I had. Also did a complete valve job. Got the top-end all put back together in an afternoon and gave it a couple kicks... NO FIRE?!?

It had spark and ran a year ago before taking it apart.... so I figured bad ground or something due to all the newly painted pieces. Cleaned grounds, traced wires, checked continuity, check resistance on all circuits/switches/items... still NOTHING. Found out my flywheel was "delaminating" somehow and had rubbed the stator as well. Picked up a good, used stator/flywheel and put it back together.... NOTHING. Checked the coil again and had no reading at the spark plug boot. Replaced the spark plug wire and boot with a good used one.... NOTHING.

At this point I was getting frustrated and had to walk away from it for awhile. A couple months passed and we had a trip to the mountains planned for the weekend of 11/4/11... 1 yr. and 1 day anniversary of me buying this thing. I NEEDED to have it done for that trip!!! No excuses...

Got back into it and retraced all my steps... checking all the wiring/switches/items again. Found my coil was just outside of the "recommended" ohms resistance readings range. Again, back to the local motorcycle shop for a good, used coil. Upon inspection of that coil, I got the same readings from it as my original coil. Again, NOT the problem. Everything says... if all your other components check out and you still have no fire, it could be a bad CDI box. The guy at the shop was nice enough to let me borrow his good, used CDI box and try it. That night I got home and plugged it in.... SPARK!!! Haha....

So, a couple other little items were finished up.. added some fresh oil and fresh gas and 2 1/2 kicks later... It was RUNNING!!!

Thoughts/reviews on the "X"....

Engine wise--- Starts up very easily... 1/2 kick, each time, everytime.... alot of compression. Runs very smooth and the old Supertrapp exhaust has a nice tone. Its seems to be jetted pretty good also. The "powerband" seems kinda strange though, from what I'm used to recently. Its very tame off idle up to mid-throttle... just smooth and easy cruising. Then it seems to "hit" real strong at mid-throttle all the way to the top-end. Almost like a 2-stroke powerband hits. I know the Hot Cam specs do say "improves mid-range to top-end power"... but its been so long since I had my old 250X I can't really compare.

Chassis wise--- The 450R shocks do seem a tad stiff.. although I read about people saying that so that wasn't a surprise. It handles great and is comfortable to ride. Its light and you can toss it around pretty easily. The new rear Holeshots hook great and power right up all the hillclimbs we had without ever losing traction. Very happy with them, as I've always wanted Holeshots!

Overall, I'm very happy with the "X"... It runs and rides great and is comfortable. I built it... thats what makes it the most fun!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hsb0qw.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/wi6fyo.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/bdkz0y.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/6ezvv9.jpg

iforce
11-11-2011, 07:44 PM
great job man. thank you for posting up the final product. it has to feel good, to finally have it finished!

bigblue02hd
11-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks...

It does feel to good to finally ride it again after a year.... Haha!

I do have a video I'm waiting to upload... once its finished I'll post it up.

beastlywarrior
11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
lookin good

bigblue02hd
11-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks... I'm happy with the way its turned out!

New front tires/wheels should be here soon.... :D

roadthrills
11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
That's wierd about the CDI. Mine did the exact same thing when I rebuilt it. Worked fine, apart for a couple years, no fire, bad CDI. I wonder what causes that?

bigblue02hd
12-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Yeah I'm not sure either... Very weird!

Here's a new picture with the new front matching C-series ITP rims and 22/7/10 Holeshots.

http://i40.tinypic.com/10yf81u.jpg