PDA

View Full Version : Frame Saver

jake55
10-12-2010, 06:32 AM
I keep losing the rollers. i have tightend the set screw as tight as i can get it and used lock tight but it still kicks the rollers off.
any ideas as to how to keep the rollers on????

Coley'sdad#8
10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Throw it all away. dont use anything and keep your eye on the grooves, when they get defined clean really well and fill with weld.
I cut it back and welded a scab plate in there to take the wear.
Or there is the engine relocation parts.

mydirtkids
10-12-2010, 05:01 PM
X2....

Went thru a roller in two tanks of gas. Not worth the $$ IMO. Put it towards the engine relocation kit. It is expensive but definately an improvement.

Weld works good for economy, but evetually killed a chain and several master links.

jakesdad6
10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
who n where do you get a engine relocation kit

Logan #34's Dad
10-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Rollers work just fine.
Wrap a piece of black tape around the end of the pin so the clamp can't just slide off.
The roller also takes care of the chain. It can't be good on the chain OR the frame if they are grinding together. JMO

kfx450
10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
you can also put a chain roller off of a dirt bike or big atv. they cost $12 or so. You weld a 1in by 2 inch plate to the back of the frame rail drill a hole so the roller is just bellow the frame and you are done. Some one put some pics on here a while back about this set up. Did this then painted the frame no markes in 3 months of riding and racing. Roller is a little beat up but that is a cheap and easy fix.

Logan #34's Dad
10-13-2010, 07:55 AM
This is the BEST way. HOWEVER, I personally contacted the AMA and they stated that the weld on roller would create an advantage via chain performance and therefore illegal. I thought it was crap but the rules are the rules. Remember, no-one will care until you start winning!

kfx450
10-13-2010, 08:26 AM
I am sure it wouldn't take much to make a bracket that would bolt of the frame and have an arm to but the roller on. The one for a stick type dampner may work.

mydirtkids
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Gary at G-forcepowersports or Marc at HOTQUADS will sell you the DC engine mount relocaton kit. It raises the front of the motor so no more problems with the tie rods hitting the spark plug boot, keeps the big $$ pipes from striking the frame and the kit lowers the rear mount which allows you to toss the frame saver... no more chain problems.

Big bummer is they are $180.... ouch for what it really consists of... Pretty typical of these bikes though. Everyone thinks a couple small pieces of aluminum are really made of gold!!

Coley'sdad#8
10-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Big bummer is they are $180.... ouch for what it really consists of... Pretty typical of these bikes though. Everyone thinks a couple small pieces of aluminum are really made of gold!!

It does seen a little high on the dime but you should look at the prices of the CNC milling machine, the maintenance, the cutters, coolant , billet aluminum and a paycheck it seems to come in line with the price, check and see what your local machine shop charges an hour.

mydirtkids
10-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for ruining my bich session... I was on a roll :D .

All said and done, guess sometimes I am so conditioned to cheap Chineese made crap for Walmart prices I lose my manners. :chinese: The problem is with the darn frame... Well there is always 2012... as long as the biches in the Whitehouse don't wreck us first!....

You know if it is made here in the USA I will (and do) pay for the quality.

selbygirl
10-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I HAVE BIN USING A 1''1/2 HOSE SPLIT IT IN HALF GO OVER THE FRAME AND RAP IT WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE AND THE FAR END AWAY FROM CHAIN USE A BIG ZIP TIE AND IT LAST FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS JUST ROTATE IT EVERY SO OFTEN. JUST A LITTLE BIT OF SHORE BILLY TECHNOLOGY

selbygirl
10-17-2010, 06:36 PM
what size sprocket are you guys running up front im useing a 20 tooth i would think a larger up front would help keep it away from the frame more most peaple are running 19 tooth witch makes it closer to the frame i would think i could be wrong

BradLoomis
10-17-2010, 07:10 PM
The larger the sprockets, the closer it is to the frame. But the front sprocket will definately have a bigger difference on thr distance than the rear. We used to use up to a 22 tooth front on the Polaris 90's with as small as 24 on the rear. The only way I found to stop the frame grinding from the chain, was to lower the rear of the motor. I still used rollers even after lowering the motors, as I built custom rollers that were more roller guide than flat rollers.

selbygirl
10-18-2010, 05:16 AM
i was looking at mine last night and i slid a welding ring on it put it right in the middle of the grooves so just the rollers of the chain would hit and put a piece of hose on both sides and let the ring spin freely. just an ideal