PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Or Powerstroke?????

chevys&honda$
10-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Im looking to get diesel pickup, i want this to be my last pickup for awhile. so duramax or powerstroke???? I would say cummins too but I think the dodges are way to ugly..

looking for 2003 or newer

f250 or 2500hd

sexysilverado45
10-12-2010, 12:55 AM
dont know much about fords but im kinda in the same situation minus the money to buy one.

but the d-max is a solid truck im a chevy guy and owned all chevy so of course im baised. but the 03,04 and maybe 05 go threw injectors every 100k to 150 iv heard their not hard to replace just expensive to do so. but the up side is gm from what iv heard extended or had an extended warrenty up to 200k. Another thing is obviously the 6.6 is a good powerplant otherwize they would have changed to a different motor like ford does every other year.

06, and up d-max's are the best way to go in my mind the motor is a little more powerful and less injector problems

i did ride in an 05 duramax that was stock and it had plent of umph and iv raced a powerstoke with my 5.3 vortec and i wasn't to impressed by how much i was beat.

now the fords like i said i don't know much about but if i had the money and couldn't find a duramax i would be looking for an 05(i believe was when the changed it) and up ford. why? because i would puke every day if i drove something that was as hidious as the interior and grille of the earlier body styles.

i don't know about the motors because one day it seems like the 7.3l are the best and 6.0's suck the next day its a different story.

just what my thoughts are in my opinion either one is a good choice they both can look dang good and im sure both are similar in power.

good luck and have fun with the endless possiblites of things you can do with a diesel.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
10-12-2010, 02:02 AM
D-Max /thread

KXRida
10-12-2010, 06:07 AM
In stock forum I'm not going to lie to you the Dmax is going to pull and put down more power mainly due to the fact that fords emissions equipment has the powerstrokes so detuned it's unreal. The 7.3's are a great motor that run pretty reliably. The 6.blows are known for injector issues and bad headgaskets. I'd recommend headstudding the motor and tossing in new headgaskets and you'll probably never have an issue. The 6.4 which I currently have (08-10) is a decent powerplant. Stock form it's a complete dog and at first I was kind of upset when I bought the truck. After doing some research the are pretty detuned. A new downpipe, 4'' exhaust with dpf/doc delete, and a new programmer and it puts the truck into the mid to low 13sec 1/4 mile. Not bad for an 8000+ lb truck. The same goes for the duramax. The aftermarket for the diesels is unreal. Either way you're not going to be upset. I've always been a fan of the ford interiors but after riding in a few chevy's I do like the wrap around seats a little better, but the dash setups would drive me crazy.

CJM
10-12-2010, 06:59 AM
If your going to buy a pstroke you want 99-03.5 with the 7.3L. 6.0 sucks, I wouldnt buy one.

honda400ex2003
10-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
D-Max /thread

x2 steve

Ruby Soho
10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
im a powerstroke guy, but i will tell you the duramax is hard to beat. with only tuning (exhaust/intake/pump also but..) my buddy is hitting 530hp.

my truck with only tuning (again exhaust/intake etc..) is hitting maybe 350 if im lucky.

i like fords better for style, how they feel and ride. nothing wrong with chevy i just prefer a ford.

KXRida
10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
im a powerstroke guy, but i will tell you the duramax is hard to beat. with only tuning (exhaust/intake/pump also but..) my buddy is hitting 530hp.

my truck with only tuning (again exhaust/intake etc..) is hitting maybe 350 if im lucky.

i like fords better for style, how they feel and ride. nothing wrong with chevy i just prefer a ford.

My truck with tuning, exhaust, and intake is putting down 500+. The new diesels can be power monsters for a relatively decent price compared to the 7.3/6.0. The most expensive part is going to be your tuner.

FHKracingZ
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
haha you are high if you think your hitting low 13's in the quater with just an exhaust, intake, and tune on a diesel truck. my friends dmax has sequential twin turbo setup and alot of money in his truck and it runs a 12.7

VTredneckgames
10-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Duramax.

Chevy has the better ride quality IMO. Plus the duramax gets the Allison.

rcer450r
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Personally I would go with cummins over either but If I were to pick between those two I would choose ford. Their reliability is better and their looks and design imo are way better than chevy. Also if you check into it the fords build (as far as frame and under carriage) are better and stronger than chevy. Just all depends on what you want really

beastlywarrior
10-12-2010, 01:54 PM
duramax

brian76708
10-12-2010, 01:59 PM
06 07 duramax

Dave400ex
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
haha you are high if you think your hitting low 13's in the quater with just an exhaust, intake, and tune on a diesel truck. my friends dmax has sequential twin turbo setup and alot of money in his truck and it runs a 12.7

Actually he is correct. I know a guy locally with an 08 6.4 with exhaust and Spartan tuner and he ran a 13.8. A Duramax with exhaust, EFI live tuning, and lift pump can run mid-high 12's. Been done time and time again. But on the Duramax your going to have to get the tranny built.

If your buddy has compound turbos and is only running a 12.7 he has something wrong.

Ruby Soho
10-12-2010, 03:27 PM
last i checked the duramax's allison was light years ahead of ford trannies

Dave400ex
10-12-2010, 03:32 PM

The newer Ford trannies are pretty stout. The one in the 6.4 will hold big power without needing built, for a while at least. The Allison needs built after much over 400rwhp.

bens250ex
10-12-2010, 03:39 PM

last time i checked the allison wouldnt make it much past stock hp..........stock form they are all decent put tunes on and no stock trans with miles on it will last....the allison is not the almighty trans, a bts trans is a almighty trans...but i hear the trans behind the 08-10 6.4 and the new11 f-250's have some pretty stout trannys. we'll have to wait and see how the 11 powerstroke does after tunning.

buck440
10-12-2010, 04:32 PM
7.3 powerstroke or 12v cummins.

witech
10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by chevys&honda$
Im looking to get diesel pickup, i want this to be my last pickup for awhile. so duramax or powerstroke???? I would say cummins too but I think the dodges are way to ugly..

looking for 2003 or newer

f250 or 2500hd
Any particular reason you want or need a diesel?

buck440
10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
before people possibly start bashing this guy for wanting a diesel ^^. i got one for a extremely reliable motor...12v cummins...and love trucks, love diesel smoke, love spending every other paycheck on an upgrade. just because you have a diesel doesn't mean your always pulling trailers or sleds. there are way too many reasons people buy one.

hell i wouldn't blame you for wanting one just because they sound so badass!:blah:

muddy400EX
10-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by buck440
before people possibly start bashing this guy for wanting a diesel ^^. i got one for a extremely reliable motor...12v cummins...and love trucks, love diesel smoke, love spending every other paycheck on an upgrade. just because you have a diesel doesn't mean your always pulling trailers or sleds. there are way too many reasons people buy one.

hell i wouldn't blame you for wanting one just because they sound so badass!:blah:

hell ya, who cares the reason why. no different than someone wanting a 600hp street car. its just cool:cool:

buck440
10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
why do people put a turbo hyabusa in a go-cart...just be ******* CAUSE man lol. no need to question it:D

CJM
10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I would like to mention:

Overall the Ford is actually a more heavy duty built truck. Solid axles with leaf springs (well fronts coil on newer models), and its more simplistic in design-it also sits much higher and can accept larger tires than a chevy can with no lift.

Chevys a good truck, however depending on what you want its not nearly as HD as the Ford is, it still rides on the same cruddy double wishbone torsion bar front suspension. Overall more complicated and good luck trying to fit tires on without a good lift.

Personally I like the Ford, but thats just me.

buck440
10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
i wish chevy would of put a cummins in it and a solid front axle. talk about an ultimate truck.:macho

CJM
10-12-2010, 09:32 PM
I just wish the cummins was in either the ford or the chevy, dodge just aint worth it..cummins is the only thing they got going on.

Rich250RRacer
10-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
dont know much about fords but im kinda in the same situation minus the money to buy one.

but the d-max is a solid truck im a chevy guy and owned all chevy so of course im baised. but the 03,04 and maybe 05 go threw injectors every 100k to 150 iv heard their not hard to replace just expensive to do so. but the up side is gm from what iv heard extended or had an extended warrenty up to 200k. Another thing is obviously the 6.6 is a good powerplant otherwize they would have changed to a different motor like ford does every other year.

06, and up d-max's are the best way to go in my mind the motor is a little more powerful and less injector problems

This is the correct info.

The 2001 to 2004 LB7 (vin 1) Duramax is the motor with major injector issues and the problem is in the location. On the LB7's the injectors are under the valve cover and they would start to leak. The injector replacement isn't the biggest concern, it's the raw fuel the leaking injector is putting in the motor, thinning the oil. Serious (expensive) engine damage could be the result. The 2004.5 - 2005 LLY (vin 2) engine corrected the problem, but this motor has been known to overheat, also this was when the variable vane turbo was put into use, and there are problem with these also. A close friend has an 2004.5 and has had three turbos put on it and it has under 60000 miles. MY 05 had the turbo replaced at 60000 miles also. Another friend has on 07 LMM Duramax (vin 6) and it had the turbo replaced at 13000 miles. Regardless of the problems, I would still take a Duramax over any of the others.

buck440
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM
isn't dmax a foreign isuzu motor in it:confused:

Thumpin440ex
10-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Duramax all the way, but I am Gm biased.. Oh yah thats because gm owns.

John

KXRida
10-13-2010, 02:57 AM

it was also a budget build and only rated to max out around 450hp and 600 ft lbs. Right now ford has the best tranny out of the 3.

There are quite a few guys running the spartan 275 tune, full exhaust with down pipe, and an intake easily breaking the 13 second mark. Most of these guys are running crewcab long beds with 33+ inch tires. I'm running a supercrew short bed with a 33'' tire. Pretty sure if I ran it, it would pull a 13 sec quarter without an issue. If you friend with the dmax has all this money in his truck and ran a 12.7 something is wrong. There's a local guy in town with a built cummin's who ripped off an 11.2 in the quarter and has slips to prove it.

3racers
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
duramax will out run out pull any pick up on market most stock mustangs have a had time keeping up with our 4 door 4 wheel drive with 38in tires

Rich250RRacer
10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
isn't dmax a foreign isuzu motor in it:confused:

Joint venture between Isuzu and GM. Originally built in Moraine, Ohio. Not sure if that still holds true. I could give you the entire history of the motor and it's development, since I have the story right in front of me, but I'm not going to bore anybody with that.

Ruby Soho
10-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
it was also a budget build and only rated to max out around 450hp and 600 ft lbs. Right now ford has the best tranny out of the 3.

There are quite a few guys running the spartan 275 tune, full exhaust with down pipe, and an intake easily breaking the 13 second mark. Most of these guys are running crewcab long beds with 33+ inch tires. I'm running a supercrew short bed with a 33'' tire. Pretty sure if I ran it, it would pull a 13 sec quarter without an issue. If you friend with the dmax has all this money in his truck and ran a 12.7 something is wrong. There's a local guy in town with a built cummin's who ripped off an 11.2 in the quarter and has slips to prove it.

not saying my friend has a whole bunch in his truck. im saying he has ONLY a tune, and the usual intake exhaust etc..

im a ford guy don't get me wrong. but duramax's are hard to beat and there really is no argument there

Ruby Soho
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
7.3 powerstroke or 12v cummins.

12v cummins are dogs. cool engines, legendary actually. but id take a 7.3 any day of the week

Sniper05
10-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Those 6.4's are bad to the bone with a big tune, DPF delete and an intake! You need to do a little more research before you go poppin off, My buddy has an 08, with a big tune, DPF delete and an intake and made 580 hp and runs 13's in the qtr all day!

KXRida
10-14-2010, 07:54 AM
not saying my friend has a whole bunch in his truck. im saying he has ONLY a tune, and the usual intake exhaust etc..

im a ford guy don't get me wrong. but duramax's are hard to beat and there really is no argument there

That was directed to FHKracing due to his uninformed post. Just waiting for my intake to come in so I can run my 250/275/310 tunes. On the 210 tune it blows all 4 tires off of my truck.

mildtowildracin
10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
on the powerstroke, the 6.0 is either a hit or miss, its a solid motor but its known for the head studs and gaskets, other than that its a fast motor and can last if you take care of it. i know ppl that dog em out hardcore and have been doin it for years with no problems, and others after 80,000 miles need new head studs. On the other hand the 7.3 is unbeatable, itll run forever and has good power

exrider49
10-14-2010, 08:28 PM
i have a 2006 powerstroke ext.cab shortbed and i am happy with it i got a 5"full exhaust sct livewire tuner with innovative tunes and a airaid intake coming in next week..either way you go ford or chevy im sure you will be happy i was trying to get a cummins and came across a ford and the price was right

FHKracingZ
10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Yea thats fine if u think that. Show me the slips. My brother in law has a 07 classic dmax with a lift pump, injecters, efi live, intake, full exhaust and he ran a best of 13.7 at 97. I love diesel trucks and had a sweet lifted 08 dmax that i loved, but people with them think they are thr fastest thing ever. Not trying to come off wrong either.

KXRida
10-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Yea thats fine if u think that. Show me the slips. My brother in law has a 07 classic dmax with a lift pump, injecters, efi live, intake, full exhaust and he ran a best of 13.7 at 97. I love diesel trucks and had a sweet lifted 08 dmax that i loved, but people with them think they are thr fastest thing ever. Not trying to come off wrong either.

Check out the dieselstop or powerstroke nation. A spartan tuned 275 or 310 with full exhaust and an intake on a job 2 truck similar to mine puts you in the 13 second range without an issue. Lots of guys with proven slips on their runs.

trick450r
10-15-2010, 07:43 AM
If your getting a diesel just to go fast You should really just drop it now. Your gonna find out that for the cost of just a built diesel tranny you could build a street car that is faster than the truck will ever be...

KXRida
10-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
If your getting a diesel just to go fast You should really just drop it now. Your gonna find out that for the cost of just a built diesel tranny you could build a street car that is faster than the truck will ever be...

I personally got mine to tow my new car trailer I got but the go fast part is just a plus. Elite and suncoast have semi built transmissions for $3500 with yours as a core. A fully built Elite is around the ballpark of $7000. Way more than I'd ever want to spend, but that's a full race transmission. I'm just stating the simple facts that with some basic mods these trucks can put out huge power numbers.

bens250ex
10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
theres nothin like leavin sports cars behind in a 10000lb truck....i did have a good race with a 05 24v cummins last night. :D

250x_kyle
10-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I just wish the cummins was in either the ford or the chevy, dodge just aint worth it..cummins is the only thing they got going on.

cummins makes it dodge breaks it.

CJM
10-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
cummins makes it dodge breaks it.

Pretty much.. shame really cause dodges have some of the nicer looking trucks and the interiors are much better than a ford or chevy imho (better planned out and better materials). Shame its all cheap crap tho and stupid designs.

FHKracingZ
10-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
theres nothin like leavin sports cars behind in a 10000lb truck....i did have a good race with a 05 24v cummins last night. :D

lol 10,000 lb truck? lol what kind you have? a crewcab fullton dually is anywhere in the 6 to 7500lb area.

Ruby Soho
10-18-2010, 11:22 PM
lol 10,000 lb truck? lol what kind you have? a crewcab fullton dually is anywhere in the 6 to 7500lb area.

my ext cab long bed weighs in over that.

rpfeifer11
10-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Get an 02 ford with the 7.3. It is hard to beat that motor.

CJM
10-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Your kidding right?

My F250 is def over 7500lbs dry. They (in literature and such) claim it weighs less, a trip to the scale says otherwise. Im sure it weighs more. My 96 Toyota T100 weighs 6000 dry.

Ruby Soho
10-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by rpfeifer11
Get an 02 ford with the 7.3. It is hard to beat that motor.

actually you want a 99.5-2001 with forged rods. some of the 01's were a hit or miss though. PMR's are junk.

10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by trick450r

theres not to many street cars that will keep up with a buddy of mines dmax, :devil:

go to youtube and type in josh plylers duramax, 943 hp with out sprayin :p

Scro
10-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Pretty much.. shame really cause dodges have some of the nicer looking trucks and the interiors are much better than a ford or chevy imho (better planned out and better materials). Shame its all cheap crap tho and stupid designs.

That is, unless you are riding in the backseat of a crewcab Dodge. I'm 5'6" on a good day, and still have no leg room. The crewcab model should have been just a little smaller than the mega-cab, not half the size.

CJM
10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Only crewcab I ever had room in was a ford, chevy and dodge it feels to small and Im 6ft tall so I figure im decently avg.

Sniper05
10-20-2010, 10:04 PM
There's no way you can build a street car and match it HP to HP with a diesel with the same amount of money! Its a fact that diesel leave gas motors in the dust when it comes to makin HP for the least amount of money! My truck makes 600HP and ive got just alittle over $3500 in all my mods, thats me doing all the labor, but stick that in a LS1 camaro or mustang and see where your at!! Lookin at my tailgate and goin back to the drawin board!

FHKracingZ
10-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Haha wow... You put $3500 into a subaru sti and ur 600hp truck be crying, let alone a ls1 camaro. You can make ur own turbo setup for under 2k. Theres a guy around me with a camaro running high 10s and he has less than 3k into the setup. Ur truck isnt running no high 10s thats for damn sure

TCracin440ex
10-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Sniper05
There's no way you can build a street car and match it HP to HP with a diesel with the same amount of money!

your wrong. because diesels arent made for horsepower. they are made for torque. and torque moves mass

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall

far as less money i dont think so because diesel parts are 4x more expensive then gas parts. so lets not get into the whole gas vs diesel thing.

KXRida
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
For $3500 I could make my truck an easy 800+hp. Will everything else hold up? Probably not. New injectors, HP fuel and return pumps, egr cooler delete, and head studs.

FHKracingZ
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
For $3500 I could make my truck an easy 800+hp. Will everything else hold up? Probably not. New injectors, HP fuel and return pumps, egr cooler delete, and head studs.

B/S you aint running anymore that 32lbs of boost efficiently on a stock turbo...

So please explain how you are getting more than double the stock horse without some serious boosting.

TCracin440ex
10-21-2010, 04:52 PM

oh and you might can do it, but i garentee you wont run arround with 800hp long because the stock trans is going to take a crap. so yea 800 might be achieveable out of the motor, but the trans aint going to hold up

Dave400ex
10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think you'll be making 800hp on a diesel with $3,500. If you do it won't hold together. At 800hp your going to be looking at an engine build, rods, pistons, studs, key crank and cam, etc.

KXRida
10-21-2010, 09:29 PM
point being, 800hp is easily done on the motor, but it's not going to be reliable. Please reread my post before making outlandish comments. 550hp is about the max you're going to put to a stock torqshift before having issues. Hence the elite or suncoast transmission swap.

fyi, on stock tuning they are putting out 29psi on the turbo's. Please stick to your sti's and other garbage. 8 port injectors can produce upwards of 1000hp with the correct tuning. Injectors and the EGR delete are where you're making you're power from.

TCracin440ex
10-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I don't think you'll be making 800hp on a diesel with $3,500. If you do it won't hold together. At 800hp your going to be looking at an engine build, rods, pistons, studs, key crank and cam, etc.

not only that too but 800hp out of a diesel the torque would probally be 1000 or more and the trans would fly all to shyt. i doubt the trans would even hold 800hp for a month before it took a crap

KXRida
10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
not only that too but 800hp out of a diesel the torque would probally be 1000 or more and the trans would fly all to shyt. i doubt the trans would even hold 800hp for a month before it took a crap

http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=14810001

KXRida
10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
for all the nay-sayers this was my run on the dynojet at one of the local tuners with a spartan 275 tune, S&B intake, and full exhaust...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/dynojetconfig02215.jpg

TCracin440ex
10-21-2010, 09:43 PM
thats torque not horsepower moron. you said you had 800hp. big difference

and i still dont believe your numbers because you would need atleast a 100gpm lift pump and some sort of aftermarket injection pump.

woodsracer144
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
i didnt read the whole thread but i look at things like who makes the best product.
chevy has a great auto trans in their
IMO ford has the nicest cabs and bodys and susp.
and dodge has the cummins.

so what do you do. well if you want to do it right mix all three and then you'll be made! make a fummins!

But when your looking at a factory truck I dont care who you are. the ford 7.3 PSD will haul away any dura trash away. the susp, in them is the same on all their trucks. my cousin had a 06 for 3 months and the 4x4 went out of it, and then he kept it for another 2 and she went down the road.

my brother has a 05 dura trash and he wont even take that truck down a dirt road its afraid the front end will **** out on him.

I get so pissed off when people are all pro chevy ford or dodge becuase they all make **** and it all breaks.

if you go with the powerstroke make sure that if its a 6.0 that some one has looked at head studs and the head gasket cause thats the main problem.

best of luck.

KXRida
10-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
thats torque not horsepower moron. you said you had 800hp. big difference

and i still dont believe your numbers because you would need atleast a 100gpm lift pump and some sort of aftermarket injection pump.

believe them or not numbers don't lie. Please find where I quote that my truck has 800hp. Apparently you are as dumb as you sound due to your inability to read.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure it'd out pull, out drive, and out run any of your half assed built trucks you've ever owned.

Ruby Soho
10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
of course there is bigger and better out there, but i absolutely love my super duty 7.3. i have no desire for anything different.

Gray33
10-23-2010, 08:12 PM
i dont care what people think but if you stud the 6.0 and put a egr delete on their they are beast. I love my 6.0

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/GrantGray4/IMG00075-20091227-1624.jpg

KXRida
10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Gray33
i dont care what people think but if you stud the 6.0 and put a egr delete on their they are beast. I love my 6.0

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/GrantGray4/IMG00075-20091227-1624.jpg

agreed! 6.0's just have some minor flaws in them but the bottom ends are bulletproof, hence the 6.4 using an almost identical bottom end assembly. Nice truck btw.

Gray33
10-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Only reason you hear dieaster stories is because at first everyone was goin out and putting some much money into them and soupin them up and not installin studs.

brian76708
10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Gray33

it seems to be very hit or miss with 6.0s IMO... i have known one person who has had 3 motors warrantied and on the other hand i have to other buddies who i know that they haven't been easy on them and there still holding up great with performance chips. i think the 6.0 can be solid if you do all the aftermarket stuff that fixes there problems ie. headstuds.

also my bro in-law was a engineer at navistar and he said most of the guys big into diesels were running duramax's there if that tells ya something.

KXRida
10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
anything with engine mods should be headstudded. I want to, but it's easiest to do a cab off. If it comes down to that I'm doing more than just headstudding it if I have to pull the cab.

BlaineKaiser450
10-24-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't see why Dodges get such a bad rep on the body and such. Mine (even though it's a 93, so it's not exactly the same) hasn't had a single issue with the body. My dad has owned dodge trucks for years and the only issue that we've ever run into is bad automatic trannys, but that doesn't matter because manuals are where it's at :) The Cummins is bulletproof, and from my experience, the rest of the truck will last forever if taken care of well. I do like the interior on my friends 2002 7.3 much more than any Dodge, I will admit.

KXRida
10-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
I don't see why Dodges get such a bad rep on the body and such. Mine (even though it's a 93, so it's not exactly the same) hasn't had a single issue with the body. My dad has owned dodge trucks for years and the only issue that we've ever run into is bad automatic trannys, but that doesn't matter because manuals are where it's at :) The Cummins is bulletproof, and from my experience, the rest of the truck will last forever if taken care of well. I do like the interior on my friends 2002 7.3 much more than any Dodge, I will admit.

I like the lines of a dodge (new style took some getting used to) but I'm not a fan of the interiors. Chevy's feel a little cluttered to my liking, but I like the seats. I personally like the lay out of fords the best.

CJM
10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I find the dodge rocker panels rot easier than others, fords at least only the rear wheel wells rust on most of them.

trailrider894
10-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex

Lol totally un-related... but my old Monza Spyder Small Block Chevy which has +300hp weighs around 2700lb. Weighed it at the MFA. :devil:

Ruby Soho
10-25-2010, 07:50 AM
yeah but look what your comparing. a diesel engine alone (depending which one obviously) weighs around 1k wet

firefighterjosh
10-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Without reading everything people have said.....

7.3 - Awesome
6.0 - Just a few mods and there bulletproof, but even after that there is some scary ones
6.4 - Im not sold on them.

Whatever you buy its going to be a maintenance nightmare...Im thinking of getting rid of my 7.3

tar
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I would buy nothing but a duramax. My dad has an 03 with 260,000 on it an probably 125,000 was pulling a trailer. Still no problems to this day besides puttin new shocks on

bens250ex
10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
how about this powerstroke i just put her up forsale

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/2027304293.html

400exrider707
10-27-2010, 08:37 AM
6.4 powerstrokes are basically a 6.0 with a much better fuel system, a slightly better EGR system, and still the same crummy head design. Though they did get larger diameter head bolts.

Just putting studs and new gaskets in a 6.0 is a waste of time, you have to have the heads taken to a reputable machine shop, decked and pressure checked, then you can use the studs. Without that, it's pointless.

I'm on my 3rd set of headgaskets in my 6.0. I blew them once already with ARP studs installed. I still like the truck though. At this point, if I didn't have my vegistroke installed, I'd sell it. No matter what happens at this point, I'm saving too much money to give up on it now. If I could find a used vegi-ram (near impossible since hardly any kits were sold before they went under), I'd consider selling my truck and getting a 5.9 megacab dodge. I still hate the Dodges, and think they make a crappy truck, but I'd rather deal with with that than blowing coolant everywhere when I climb a hill.

If I knew back then what I know now, I would have still bought my 6.0, but I would have done things differently. It gets a bad rep for a good reason, but honestly if you keep them stock and do a few small simple mods, they will last a long time.

It's headgaskets on this, or a transmission crapping on a Dodge, pick your poison.

Duramax is a nice truck.

Just do your research. Asking here usually just starts brand wars. Sign up on individual forums for the duramax and the powerstroke and ask away. Most of those users are pretty honest and will tell you what is bad and what isnt.