PDA

View Full Version : +2 arms and 450R shocks

CJM
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes of course I searched, but I want some current opinions.

Thinking of doing some +2 arms to compliment my g force axle (currently set at the 2 5/8" setting) and my 450r shocks.

Will the arms lower my frontend due to shock placement and will they soften the 450r shocks?

Will they lessen the tippyness I get now b/c of the larger rear axle it seems to want to lift up rather easy.

About the only other issue is the fact that the quad will be a bit wider overall on some tight trails and will make for more fun..

JTrider
10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm running +2 with 450r shocks and it was one of the best things I did for the quad. The quad is more stable and turns great. I'm not sure if the arms softened up the shocks though. Mine feels pretty stiff but I like the way it rides. I ride mainly trails and have never had a issue with the wideness. I rode my friends with stock arms and it was night and day difference. I didn't feel as confident on it. I say go for it

slightlybent47
10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes by all means get them; it will help out a lot in the corners. Lets look at it some here, when you are going into a corner and you are under breaking, all the weight is going to the front and to the outside so by having a shorter a arm it’s going to want to tip more. Because that’s acting like your out rigger and is what is holding you up. So going wider will help. Coming out of the corners the weight is shifted to the rear so it will have less affect but it will help some here as well.

Having said that and if I had the opportunity to do mine over again I would go with the long travel and a +3. That way I could run deferent front off set rims so I could get the center of the wheel closer to the ball joint so as to reduce bump steer.

I got a great deal on some +2s but I wish I had +3 long travel.

I had already had the +2s on before I put the 450 shocks on so I can’t compare the two but I would suspect that it would drop the front a little bit but probably not much.

As for getting through tight trails it won’t make any deference because the rear is already wider and it’s going through just fine so why should it be any deferent for the front.

CJM
10-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I would do +3 and get new wheels but that isnt in the budget really.

I got lucky cause the previous owner put the g-force axle on and I honestly didnt even realize it till after I had in my garage that the axle was much wider and I took the rear wheels off-the wheels were really offset but I discovered the axle was longer and adjustable which is awesome.

Muzzgit
10-12-2010, 07:24 AM
You won't be too wide at all.

I had this mod done about a year ago and I love it. Yes the 450R shocks are a little stiff but they handle jumps and washouts better and are better than the stock 400EX shocks.

CJM
10-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Any particular brand I should buy of a-arms, really would like to try and keep the cost down while still getting something good if possible. Right now I have a g force axle that I basically want to match. +2 is a wee wide imho, but the quad is too tippy b/c of the axle and I aint changing it out (hey previous owner sprung for it, why not keep it..)

Wanted the Ishock kit but its way to much $$$.

-laeger has standard travel race style and a sport style that claims its great for rec riders and dune use (pretty much what I do now) I think the sport ones might be worth it, IDK whats with the odd kick up on the one arm in the picture-does it serve a purpose? http://www.laegerracing.com/component/tienda/products/view/45/7

-LSR has some really nice ones, sport style (whatever that means) for an ok price

-I already have read american star is absolute junk that bends so at least I know they stink.

-Armadillo? They look nice, I have hard the skids they make are good and all-they are cheaper than most setups as well.

-Houser seems really nice, ok price I guess. I have heard very good things about them. http://www.houser-racing.com/SPD/030108---+2--wide-a-arms--regular-travel--bushing-style--plus-slicast-honda--4500000-1108502234.jsp

Mostly leaning towards houser or laeger. What is everyones opinion?

honda400ex2003
10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
i really like the housers for looks, the burgard ones are supposed to be decent, laeger is very nice, not sure on the armadillos. the kick is for lowering the front down a bit, it helps to cut down the steep angles for the regular arms which raise it up a bit more. it will cut about 2" by the looks of the arms which could be a major benefit if racing or something like that. the slicast housers are sort of the same idea just a different design which intrigues me about them. lol steve

slightlybent47
10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I have JD +2 and they have held up nice and seem to work very well. I got them used from a friend for cheap in a package deal with an axel and some other stuff.

CJM
10-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I think your right about the ball joint angle Steve, would make sense the less overall angle the better it may handle due to inclination and it may last longer due to less stress. IDK for sure.

Will look into the JDs Bent. Got any pics of them on the quad? Cause after looking at JD's site they seem overall to me the best choice. Cheaper than the housers, as nice as both the laegers and housers and they offer some nice and practical/worthwhile options.

Plans for the winter include +2 arms, maybe 4:1 wheels up front, more skids, nerfs +2 brake lines and maybe new plastics. yes, the money pit has taken on more now. First ya'll talked me into the engine mods, then rear wheels/tires, better bars, etc..now more fun lol..

slightlybent47
10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Pics of my JD's

http://i53.tinypic.com/24bpv0i.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2lwkx8i.jpg

honda400ex2003
10-13-2010, 10:13 PM
those look different than the new set i saw on the jd site but they are nice! the ones i saw on the home page anyway were like the slicast ones, maybe they only have the straight ones lol i should have looked a bit closer. steve

slightlybent47
10-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Could be they changed the design, I’ve had these on for at least two years and they were used when I got them so they may be quite an old design.

CJM
10-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the pics bent.

01 400EXer
10-14-2010, 07:18 AM
I am running +2 JD a arms with TCS zps shocks now. I was originally running the +2 JD's with 450R shocks and they were a great improvement over stock shocks and felt really good. I made the switch when I found a really good deal on TCS shocks that I could not pass up. I kept my 450R shocks for when I send the TCS's out for service and when I have to switch back to them (450R shocks) I really can't tell that much of a difference in performance other than they are not zps and that is the only thing I really notice.

CJM
10-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks 01 400EXer, Im glad to hear that they work well with 450r shocks.

Anyone know if skid plates will fit these extended arms properly or will I have to custom make some?

This winter im gonna go all out probably, I need a belly skid, the a-arms, new front tires and maybe wheels and some other misc stuff liek chain, sprockets, etc.

CJM
10-15-2010, 06:20 PM
btt

Anyone know a company that makes skids for +2 arms?

99400esex
10-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by CJM
btt

Anyone know a company that makes skids for +2 arms?

I just did a search on this because I was curious about it too, but didnt find any companies that make +2 skids for the a arms.

CJM
10-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 99400esex
I just did a search on this because I was curious about it too, but didnt find any companies that make +2 skids for the a arms.

I kinda figured they didnt. I can make my own, but they probably wont be nearly as nice was the ones you can buy.