PDA

View Full Version : Is it hard to learn to play electric guitar

250x#93
02-07-2003, 09:30 PM
I was wanting to learn and wondered how hard it is and what I should get to start??

CHAUNCY
02-07-2003, 09:33 PM
I have a friend that plays and he just takes lessons and he is actually not to bad. He said it is pretty easy to learn i tihnk:huh

quadridermx
02-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Depends on if you are musically talented or not. I have a little bit of talent, but barely any... so it was hard for me to learn.

It seems like you learn so much at first and really think you're doing good, but after a while... all it is is practice practice practice. You kind of get into a lull where you dont think you're getting any better or learning anything new, but then you realize that you have gotten better. But then with guitar, there's always someone that is better than you, lol. That frustrates me when I think I'm doing really good, but then go and play with some friends of mine and compared to them I suck.

But that's what keeps me hooked, its a challenge.

A good instructor make all the difference, also.

If you want to get into guitar, I have a pretty nice Strat and practice amp im selling. The guitar is great for beginner/intermediate guitar players and really packs a punch.

Let me know..

SGA
02-08-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm learning right now. Its hard for me, no music ability, but I enjoy it. I knew absolutely nothing about guitars awhile back. Heres a few basics I have learned. The most popular "style" of electric guitar is the stratocaster, made by fender. There are tons of other companys that copy this guitar. There are many good sites on the web about guitars. Use google. Stop by 2 or 3 different music stores before you buy anything, most of the people are very helpful. If you are not going to get instruction from a teacher, get a good intro to electric guitar book, which shows the basics. Im learning on my own, no teacher. You do not need a huge amp to get started, mine is a crate gx15, with a 8'' speaker. Plenty loud enough to get everyone in the house to start bitc*ing. Make sure the amp you get (almost all do) has a overdrive button, thats where the funky sounds are. I bought a 10 foot cord because it was $3 cheaper. Its to short to move around, hand the guitar to a friend, etc., I got a 18 foot cord soon after. I paid $100 dollars for this used guitar and amp at the music store. Its a copy of a fender stratocaster. If you buy used, get a set of new strings, they are cheap. I was amazed how much better it sounded with new strings. Oh, yeah. Get a electronic tuner, about $19.95. it is a must have for a new player. Hope this helps.

Pvt. Maggot
02-08-2003, 10:00 AM
you don't even have to be musically talented to learn...its not hard its just alot of pratice and time consuming...but hey i love it...i never took lessons and i'm learning...so i guess anyone can do it

Jekyl_22
02-08-2003, 10:16 AM
I played for like two months in like 3rd grade, and I just started playing again a few weeks ago. It can be kinda frustrating because you have to keep practicing. But just learn a new song and when you have that down pat, learn a new one. You can print sheet music off of the internet, it's pretty useful. Just go to: www.olga.net it's the best thing I've found so far. The first song I learned was Beach Boys - Wipeout, Beatles - Day Tripper, and the most recent one was Blink 182 - Adam's Song. I know a few other songs and parts to many other songs, it's fun just to mess around. Also, play with friends.... and don't get discouraged if they are WAY better than you. Good Luck...:blah :D :) :p ;) :cool:

250x#93
02-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, I think i'm going to buy one soon, My one friend plays the bass really good, so maybe he can give me some pointers:cool:

thelegendarycd
02-08-2003, 01:37 PM
give it a try. i had some musical talent so for me it wasn't hard learning fairly basic stuff. make sure you look at every possibility in your price range when shopping around though because there are some that people will suggest to you that when you play you will simply not like. i just got my first guitar a few months ago and it has been lots of fun since then. i got an epiphone les paul. hope this works.............

TC17
02-08-2003, 02:06 PM
i have been playin for a year. i practice half and hour or hour a day. i'm really good now. i can play w/e you throw at me. it took me 15 minutes to learn Ozzy-Crazy train and play it perfect. at the begining it's really hard. i taught myself for a while. then after about 6 months you start really to pick it up. and you just keep getting better and better. my friend came over who just started to play along with me and it just showed me how far ahead i am. he can play little stuff. little stuff makes it sound good though. if you are dedicated to it and don't quit no matter what, and you have a good ear and everything, you'll love guitar. it amazes me that the songs that you hear aren't as hard as what you think. i can play most anything i want to except some Metalica.

stupid driver
02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
one thing you will want to remember is it is not a hand i coordination thing, it is all a feel for it. PRACTICE is key. get good tabs that you can read well, and take a little chunk at a time. i like to get tabs at ultimate-guitar.com . sweet site, every song imaginable. i got an ESP LTD m-1000. great guitar for the fast stuff

SGA
02-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by thelegendarycd
I got an epiphone les paul.
Sweet! I would love to have one of those....

Sparky416ex
02-08-2003, 04:04 PM
If you wanna get good fast...you really have to be devoted...a couple hours a night....and if you want one because your friend has one(but you keep sayin no ill learn to play) dont bother...you wont pull it out after 2 months...you really have to want to

250x#93
02-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks again for all the info, I like country music a lot and like twangish music, do you need to buy a different guitar for different styles???

Sparky416ex
02-08-2003, 09:39 PM
yeah...you will need an accoustic...you need to talk to someone at a store

Ralph
02-08-2003, 09:47 PM
i started and then i was just like f-it cause my teacher was a homo and i didnt feel like dishing out 30 a week on lessons

blondie69
02-10-2003, 02:47 PM
learnin electric guitar aint dat hard.......my brother taught me how (he's 23) i'm not da best but i hardly ever play. n he's gonna buy a bass guitar sumtime n i'm gonna take actual lessons on how 2 play dat.....i noe a lil, not alot tho. then i play da drums (i've been playin since i was like 4:p dad taught me n ma bro taught me) n then i took piano lessons from i was 7 - 14 i jus quit.....i still play, but more like modern songs like in the end by linkin park n stuff.

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Here is my .02. Spend more on a good guitar now. If you buy a cheap guitar, it will be harder to play (action on the guitar, set up, stuff like that). For country using an electric, get a fender telecaster. Dont get a copy. There are some decent copies, but generally you will get junk. Go to a music store, and just see how they feel, how hard the strings are to push, what you think looks good, etc. A strat is also good for country. For an all around guitar, it is hard to beat the strat. For more rock based, get a les paul. They also have an amazing clean sound. For an amp, get a used bigger one. You will also really like an effects pedal (about $150). You can get basically any sound you want from them, and you can program different patches in. I have the digitech rp200. Basically, get the good stuff now. If you stick with it, it will save you a ton, and if you decide it isnt for you, fenders hold their value extreamly well on e-bay. There are deals to find on there too, look around.

JTRtrx250r
02-10-2003, 09:32 PM
You gotta start somewhere!!The 1st yr is the hardest of course,if you can stick w/ it w/o burnin' out,you just might be a guitarist,good luck;)

250x#93
02-11-2003, 07:46 PM
What does anyone know about Kay guitars, I was looking into one and wondered what there like??

YLW400
02-11-2003, 08:22 PM
I have never heard of "Kay" personally....To the guy who started this thread...don't start with electric. I know, they sound cool, and look cooler then acoustic. But I personally think you need to start with acoustic. It gets your fingers callused and tough. I started out with a 100.00 POS acoustic guitar that I have had for 10 years....It makes my fingers bleed when I play it, but it got my fingers tough. There is a VERY good acoustic guitar that you can buy now for about 350.00...It is called a Taylor, Big Baby. One of the best brand acoustic guitars made. I want one myself. But like I said, play acoustic for 6-8 months. Then buy an electric. I played 3 chords for a year on my crappy acoustic....lol

250x#93
02-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Well I got a guitar now I need to learn how to play it.

250x#93
02-13-2003, 05:35 PM
another

250x#93
02-13-2003, 05:37 PM
1 more how do ya like the rigid tool calender

CowsBitePeople
02-13-2003, 05:39 PM
learning isnt that hard i tought my self and fot music tabs from online at www.mxtabs.net....

MaTT....

SGA
02-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 250xredrider
Well I got a guitar now I need to learn how to play it.
Looks good! Go for it