PDA

View Full Version : a few questions?

rinconrider
10-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey guys, Im a new guy here and was wondering if you could help me out. I just got a 400ex after having my rincon for a few years also but need to go over some stuff on it. I have to change the oil, clean everything good and such, the usual stuff that needs to be done on a used machine. anyway, after looking around and having a few performance things done to the rincon in the way of tires and such i figured it would be cool to do a few things to this one too. I am looking to find out what some of the better products are for it, performance wise? Also what oil to use in it? And any other things to watch out for while messing with it. Thanks!

honda400ex2003
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I recommend valvoline oil or equivalent 10w30 for most conditions. Some great upgrades are running a new air filter, slip on(t4 gets my vote), taking the choke out of the carb for the summer, and getting some new rubber for it. razrs are my tire of choice but that is a great debate also. 450 shocks are decent, stabilizer, new bars, and such and you will be set for a long time. Steve

rinconrider
10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
nice thanks, well how about these hotcams? which one is a good one to run with a stock internals engine? Thanks for your help!

tri5ron
10-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Rincon,
First, welcome to the forums.
This is a great place, with ALOT of valuable info to be learned, from the more experienced members here.

The 400EX is a great trail/XC bike, that can still be a well respected, decent performing machine.
No,... it is not going to be the top dog on the MX track.

BUT, it is a HIGHLY modifiable, Solid dependability, Reliable machine, with very basic, proper maintaince routines.

The only thing that is lacking on a stock 400EX, where Honda completely "dropped the ball", is the front shocks.
Bottom line is,... they Suck.

before you consider doing ANY other thing, to modify or improve your bike,...
you will be WAaaayyy ahead of the game,
by starting with replacing the front shocks.
The most popular, budget minded, choice is the 450r shocks, with the Works, (or similar), aftermarket springs.

There are Many threads covering this upgrade.
Use the search function, and read everything you can find on it.

After that, it is basically "The sky is the limit". (It all comes down to what style of riding you do), and how much cash you want to spend.

Read all the stickys, in the thread at the top of the page.
then go read them again.

Once you are comfortable with the available info on upgrades and modifications in those threads,.. then feel free to ask all the questions you want. Alot of good folks are here to help.

And again,.. Welcome to the forums, Welcome to the madness, and Welcome to the Disease !

Your piggy bank, is the only thing that can limit you now.
(but we do have ways to minimize the pain) LOL !

rinconrider
10-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have some fun stuff to do and lots of questions to ask. :D I cant wait to see what this thing is capable of. Thanks again!