View Full Version : Captain! Were taking on water!

mlabarca240
10-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Ok, I ride alot in Lake Wales Florida and often come across large areas of adequately deep water. Is there a way I can re-route my airbox snorkle higher up under the plastics somewhere to avoid taking on water and still retain sufficient airflow? On my old 300ex the intake was up under the tree.

PaRedneckRiders
10-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by mlabarca240
Ok, I ride alot in Lake Wales Florida and often come across large areas of adequately deep water. Is there a way I can re-route my airbox snorkle higher up under the plastics somewhere to avoid taking on water and still retain sufficient airflow? On my old 300ex the intake was up under the tree.
I was just thinking about this the other day, if u would run an airbox lid that was pretty water tight u could cut a whole in the plastic and run a piece of pvc pipe up about a foot or 2 out of the plastic like a big snorkel on the big utilities

Wouldnt look the prettiest but sure would serve the purpose and might as well through an exhaust snorkel on it while your at it

mlabarca240
10-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Yea that crossed my mind but I also want to keep it as stock looking as possible. So maybe something under the plastics to the front? Near the headlight?

PaRedneckRiders
10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
o ok well not sure about anything like that, havent really seen it ever done b4 but it could be possible

Racerjames
10-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm trying to imagine a way to get the snorkel up front, but I just cant come up with a way to do it without compromising intake diameter somewhere along the line. Maybe up behind the rear fenders?

Or maybe you just need an appropriate 4x4 ;)

f4iracer
10-10-2010, 07:11 PM
the snorkel is pretty much up in the front to begin with, it's not to far away from the headlight. It's runs under the gas tank straight up to the right of the tank (if your'e sitting on the quad).

a little higher up would be nice but yeah it's in a decent position.

Racerjames
10-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Well shizz! Abs/pvc extension?

mlabarca240
10-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I was thinking about cutting a hole through the plastic separator plate between the tank and the top end of the motor to allow more room for routing pvc with some heat wrap so that sucker doesnt melt. Theres not a whole lot of room to play with....

honda400ex2003
10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I dont think you can get it any higher on the machine without going external. you could def just go out the side and up the back too if you wanted. that would be decent. what ever you decide make sure you take pictures. Steve