PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

99400esex
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I was helping my uncle look over a 2002 400ex yesterday, he is purchasing it. It had some faults thought but nothing major. I could see that the base cover gasket was bad, the long bolt for the oil filter was snapped off and stuck inside, it was missing the fuel selector knob and heat shield from the stock header. Probably the dumbest part about it was the fact that the kid painted it blue, the paint is pretty brittle and its flaking off in a ton of spots so I think a good blast with the pressure washer will take it off. My question is though, the snorkel was missing off of the airbox. Why would the kid do this? He ran it without the airbox lid so im just guessing that it is a good way to get more airflow through there?

Racerjames
10-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Correct! Most factory airboxes don't allow enough flow, esp when you start modding the crap outta your bike. This is not always true for every model, but your are right in your train of thought. I guess no river crossing for him huh? :D (we useto just cut holes in the lid, nowadays seems people run no lid with an outerwear over the filter)

99400esex
10-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Racerjames
Correct! Most factory airboxes don't allow enough flow, esp when you start modding the crap outta your bike. This is not always true for every model, but your are right in your train of thought. I guess no river crossing for him huh? :D (we useto just cut holes in the lid, nowadays seems people run no lid with an outerwear over the filter)

Haha yea definitely no water for this machine. I was curious because I never saw one with that snorkel removed but I knew it wasnt a big deal cuz that thing doenst really serve a purpose anyways.

HondaRacing83
10-10-2010, 01:16 PM
did you by chance see this on craigslist?if so i believe i know what one your talking about.its junk. post the link?

99400esex
10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
did you by chance see this on craigslist?if so i believe i know what one your talking about.its junk. post the link?

I cant find the link but its not junk. Needs a few odds and ends and the paint needs stripped of the fenders, but it runs strong.

honda400ex2003
10-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I dont have my snorkel on. I run with an ehs lid and figure that is plenty of air to get to the engine. it also helps to get all of the air filtered through the ehs before going onto the filter for another filter. with the snorkel there is some that will get through without being filtered through that first. I just used a black paint can top to block it off with the stock clamp. imo it also looks cleaner too with the snorkel off. steve