PDA

View Full Version : Clutchless shifting....who does it? Are there any ill effects in the long haul.

f4iracer
10-10-2010, 08:12 AM
When i'm riding my ex i often times slip through gears without using the clutch. On flat track i always shift without the clutch it is much faster i feel.

Also in the woods too, i'll throw it through some gears just to be quicker about it.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience or bad situations from doing this? I know it's probably a little harder on the tranny but it never clunks or misses gear it always goes right in if you do it right.

I just don't want my tranny to start falling out of gears because i was stripping something......let me know what you guys think.

CJM
10-10-2010, 08:14 AM
The clutch exists for a reason, use it. It isnt a tractor trailer that has synchros and such built in.

PaRedneckRiders
10-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by f4iracer
When i'm riding my ex i often times slip through gears without using the clutch. On flat track i always shift without the clutch it is much faster i feel.

Also in the woods too, i'll throw it through some gears just to be quicker about it.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience or bad situations from doing this? I know it's probably a little harder on the tranny but it never clunks or misses gear it always goes right in if you do it right.

I just don't want my tranny to start falling out of gears because i was stripping something......let me know what you guys think.

When i did wheelies on my old 400ex (always) i would never shift with the clutch, just depending on what i wanted to do i may pull out in first pull a wheelie and then just shift through the gears till i hit 5th

Ive never had problems with my tranny or clutches

Yes it is a little harder on things but as long as you time your shifting just right when u let off the gas to shift it should not cause any tranny damage, its hard to explain so im not gonna try but mayb someone else will chime in and tell u what i mean (i could explain it in person but not over the computer)

I wouldnt shift without the clutch all the time but ive done it a good bit in the past and have never had any problems and never seen any odd wear on internal parts when ive had the motor apart for rebuilds

Wheelie
10-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I shift up without using the clutch occasionally, no negative effects after several years of doing it. Shifting down without the clutch would be damaging.

3400ben
10-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I only use my clutch for down shifting. I have six years on my last race quad and no problems with tranny and only put one clutch in. If you want to see the results of no clutch just drag race someone that uses their clutch.

Racerjames
10-10-2010, 10:15 AM
"Slipping" the tranny wont hurt nuthin on the upside, just dont do it under full load or anything (duh)
Downshifting requires you match revs beforehand, not exactly ideal and requires you get it EXACTLY right or you are looking at a knackered gearset/broken forks etc. Thank god for that lever on the lefthand side!

Originally posted by CJM
The clutch exists for a reason, use it. It isnt a tractor trailer that has synchros and such built in.

Semi's actually don't have synchros, hence all the double clutching (which nobody does) or "slipping the gears in". On a synchroed tranny it's a little harder as you have to get past the synchromesh before you get gear interface. I do it all the time on my justy as my 1st gear synchro is pretty much non existent.

99400esex
10-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I know a guy that used to drive his car without using the clutch to shift, eventually it wouldnt go into any gear with or without the clutch because the synchros were done. I know some people that do it on there quads and had no problems but I personally like to use it.

honda400ex2003
10-10-2010, 02:18 PM
i always use my clutch and always will. let reasons to have problems the better. I ride too many trails and by myself too much to have to worry about a tranny failure too. steve

fearlessfred
10-10-2010, 04:47 PM
i have had my 250r trannys last many years without failer,and i always upshifted without the clutch .if the shift is smooth u are doing it right and not hurting anthing . when driving big rigs if u use the clutch when shifting u probaly have not been driving long

3400ben
10-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
i have had my 250r trannys last many years without failer,and i always upshifted without the clutch .if the shift is smooth u are doing it right and not hurting anthing . when driving big rigs if u use the clutch when shifting u probaly have not been driving long

That would make for one sore left leg!!!!!

MidnightBlade
10-10-2010, 05:35 PM
i ocasionally upshift but not on trails, low RPM, or redline rpm, all mine is done right around 7-8. on pickups i know you can bend the forks but idk about a quad with such an easy "slip". when i speed shift there is no extra drag on the shifter or a clunk or grind, feels the same as when i use the clutch if i do it right.

CJM
10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Racerjames

Semi's actually don't have synchros, hence all the double clutching (which nobody does) or "slipping the gears in". On a synchroed tranny it's a little harder as you have to get past the synchromesh before you get gear interface. I do it all the time on my justy as my 1st gear synchro is pretty much non existent.

Old trucks do not have synchros. Almost all modern semis have them.

f4iracer
10-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
I only use my clutch for down shifting. I have six years on my last race quad and no problems with tranny and only put one clutch in. If you want to see the results of no clutch just drag race someone that uses their clutch.

true dat! I can vouch for how much faster it is. You don't even have to blip the clutch or anything.

I used to ride sportbikes and if you wanted to shift those fast if helped to just blip the clutch a little bit with the throttle simultaneaously and it would really spank it out of gear.

the quads can haul when you're racing through the gears, and when i'm wheelieng i never use the clutch.

Racerjames
10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Old trucks do not have synchros. Almost all modern semis have them.

Thats news to me...every semi I have ever driven was non-synchro (eaton-fuller 10/super 10) This was on a variety of KW's, Freightliners, and Macks, nothing older than 93 up to 2010's
Now a auto or an automated manual...that's a diff story

CJM
10-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Racerjames
Thats news to me...every semi I have ever driven was non-synchro (eaton-fuller 10/super 10) This was on a variety of KW's, Freightliners, and Macks, nothing older than 93 up to 2010's
Now a auto or an automated manual...that's a diff story

I could be wrong, I mostly drove very large wreckers and towed semis and bus's with them.

I had no issues with just plain old shifting, was quite easy. But it could be they were specialized, dunno for sure. Never had an issue, also double clutched it on one truck I was told to do so with..so like I said I dunno for sure.

atv fan 28
10-10-2010, 07:03 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4GPuC94_vY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4GPuC94_vY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Racerjames
10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I could be wrong, I mostly drove very large wreckers and towed semis and bus's with them.

I had no issues with just plain old shifting, was quite easy. But it could be they were specialized, dunno for sure. Never had an issue, also double clutched it on one truck I was told to do so with..so like I said I dunno for sure.

Aww look at us getting all off topic ;)
The wrecker part makes sense! Makes for easier gear transitions & the extra weight of a synchromesh system wouldn't matter on a wrecker. I heard that on a CDL test you have to double cluch or fail the test (did mine w/an auto)

Here's my old jaloppy:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs243.snc1/9024_196685486000_626576000_4169555_1539658_n.jpg
06 Freightliner Columbia with a Mercedes Benz poopfest....soooo gutless