PDA

View Full Version : Factory rear shock length & dogbone ?'s

BULLET99Z28
10-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, after comparing my 87 frame that I'm using for my build to the 86 frame that I bought(whole bike for parts), it appears that it has 2 tabs welded above the shock linkage mount(87 frame), so I wont need the rear cradle mount. Not sure why I didnt notice that before, but I havent really started any work on the frame yet(stripping, gusseting, mock up)

So, what are the stock rear shock lengths for 86, 87, 88/89, and the same goes for the dogbone length? I keep reading that 86 is longer, while 87-89 use the same length dogbone, but have different shock lengths. Reason I'm asking is because the 86 had a nice ohlins shock on it, and I already have a nice dogbone/linkage setup that I have had for a year, just need to compare lengths to see if I need to get an 87-89 dogbone. Just want to know if I need to get a different rear shock, or have the length changed when I send it in for service/valving.

I think I may just use a factory 88/89 swingarm to save money for now, and I already have +2+1 laegers for the front, so my suspension should be a good set up.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help guys.

Honda 250r 001
10-10-2010, 08:15 AM
86-87 shocks are supposedly somewhere around 1/2 inch longer. and the dog bones on 86-87 are one inch longer.

88-89 shocks are shorter and use the shorter dog bone.

PRetty much every set up i have seen uses the 86-87 dogbone. Im betting your ohlins shock does too.