PDA

View Full Version : Tranny

CBRSLIDER
10-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Well only put about 3 hours on my boy's newly purchased 08 DRR70, when mayhem erupted. The quad was running like a champ when all of a sudden it started revving to the moon, but wouldn't go anywhere. I shut it down and it wouldn't roll backwards so I figured the tranny broke.....well I was almost right. The bolt on the back side of the tranny cover, behind the clutch, worked loose and punched a whole in the bottom of the case into the cvt area. I pulled the cvt cover off and it was full of gear oil so I just figured a seal had went, but I found the quarter size piece of aluminum case in the bottom of the case. Then I found the whole when I pulled the tranny cover off. Oh well, that's part of riding. I was just wondering if anyone else ever ran into this problem?

I really appreciate the help that Chris, at Hetrick Racing, gave me over the phone. Not knowing a thing about cvt clutches, he walked me thru what to do. He'll be working on it here soon.

Boys won't stop bugging me to get it back up and running. Heck they want to ride it, without the motor, down our driveway....

Thanks

Ray

ToddL
10-09-2010, 06:39 PM
we never ran into that, but one thing I have found is that when you replace the tranny cover consider the one by Shawn at DS Modz. It has the extra bearing and the oil flow is much better than a stock cover. Ours has never leaked and it is rock solid.
Cost is reasonable too. Most all of the guys on here stock them so give your choice of dealers a call. Shawn makes great stuff.
Todd

CBRSLIDER
10-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey thanks. I'm going to have to look into that cover. Here is a pic of the hole. Unfortunatley I'm going to have to replace the whole case half.........expensive.

Ray

CBRSLIDER
10-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Sorry for the picture size. I tried several times to make it smaller but I guess that I'm just too computer illiterate.

Ray

mydirtkids
10-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Yup, my son broke his tranny (4th) two races ago. He borrowed a friends 90 Kasea (same day) and that tranny broke too! Looked JUST like yours. Wheels totally locked up. Had a bolt work loose and get caught just like your pic. Had to replace the cases (tear-down motor). I have never used loctite on the tranny cover before, but do now!

Bummer man, hope you can get back together, kinda sucks just rolling around the driveway :D

selbygirl
10-10-2010, 04:29 PM
if you still have the piece you may be able to weld it my freinds boy blew a hole in the trany and broke the gears and he sent it to dave carter and fixed it and did a tranny mod and he is still running the bike good luck tommy

jakesdad6
10-10-2010, 05:09 PM
what bolt works loose i need to no befire this happens to me thanks

quadrider79
10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Had the exact same problem when we purchased our new quad back in '06. Bolt backed out and started rubbing the rear pulley. Thankfully that is all that happened.
And you are most definitely right. Chris, at Hetricks, is one hell of a guy.

quadrider79
10-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by jakesdad6
what bolt works loose i need to no befire this happens to me thanks
Don't worry. It seems to only happen to the new quads. And it's the bolts that are for the tranny cover, behind the rear pulley.

jerkyboy
10-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Don't need new cases it can be welded.

CBRSLIDER
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Well decided to try and get it welded. Hope it works. Thanks for the responses.

Ray

mmsoup
10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
My pilot was in second in class at the Yadkinville GNCC when a bolt backed out of the cover and locked up the Malossi Overrange Pulley, bent the drive wheel and caused an expensive belt to burn down when she tried to push through.

Clean the threads thoroughly and use Red Loctite, that one was expensive!

CBRSLIDER
10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm learning quickly that these are a little more maintenance intensive otherwise it becomes expensive to repair them. After tearing it apart and pulling the motor out, they really aren't that complicated. Learning the names of each part is going to be the toughest part. But having my boys there helping me, asking questions about every bolt we remove is priceless.:D I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Ray

mydirtkids
10-14-2010, 06:40 PM
The weld will usually do the trick. If they are really riding hard, please do yourself a favor and check out slipper sprockets and the double wide needle bearing in the tranny. Over time well worth the investment!

Good luck:D