PDA

View Full Version : 400ex help! Troubleshooting but can't find an answer

sheweezy
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I have a 2001 400ex. Pretty much all stock motor besides a aftermarket header and jetted carb. My bike was slipping slightly at high rpms but drove fine through all gears if not gettin on it real hard. I was just ridin not hard when it just cut off. I've checked all the obvious but don't know what my problem is. I'm guessing the slipping eventually resulted in the inability to run. One thing i noticed is when i try to start with my bike in neutral and holding in the clutch is that the rear wheels are trying to turn. I'm guessing it has to do with transmission or clutch so if you have any ideas please let me know

CJM
10-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The following could be possible:

Bad clutch cable, check for wear and stretching, replace if needed.

Neutral safety switch is not bad, it wouldnt start if it was.

Your clutch is bad (VERY possible)

Transmission is bad (possible but unlikely)

Slipping is usually the clutch and now that it wants to move when you start even in gear leads me to think it is indeed the clutch.

Take off right side cover and have a gander what your clutch and basket look like.

4reeds
10-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I would point to the clutch.It is normal for your wheels to spin in neutral with them off the ground.On the ground could be your cable needs adjusted or replaced.But I would replace the clutch and cable.

416racer
10-09-2010, 07:05 PM
The clutch is on the right side

CJM
10-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 416racer

oops you are right.

tri5ron
10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 416racer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by CJM
oops you are right.

Hhmmm.....
mine is on the left,
up on the handle bars,
just forward of the handgrip.
:devil: :devil: :devil:

CJM
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
clutch is inside the case on the right side...

clutch lever is on left side lol...

sheweezy
10-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks a bunch! i was pretty positive it was something dealing with the clutch and or basket. I replaced the cable when it started slipping in high rpms and played with it until i could minimize but not eliminate the slipping and then it just quit running and hasnt started since. I'm retro fittin my 91 250x to a 250r and once i finish that project im gunna start foolin with my 400 starting with the clutch. Just was kinda hopin that it was something else haha. Thanks again