PDA

View Full Version : question about an edlebrock carb

Brian112233
10-09-2010, 04:36 PM
hello, i just installed an edelbrock carb that i received with the purchase of my quad. After I installed it and got it running it does seem to run really good, my only complaint is the throttle is really stiff, to the point of with in a five min quick test ride my thumb is starting to get soar, i could just imagine after riding for a few hours. Basically i am looking for a way to make the throttle have less tension to physically push. if anyone knows of anything to help let me know. thanks Brian

IRISH-RACER-14
10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
mabey use the spring from the 450r carb. or else get a longer throttle lever

450r07
10-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I also had one of the edelbrock carbs. it had a stiff throttle pull too i think that is just the way they are. Im not sure if there is anything you can do about that.

Ruf Racing
10-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Make sure the cable is well lubricated. Try a weaker spring.

desratt
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
the accelerator pump rides on the wheel that the cable goes on. disconect it ( the accelerator pump) and see if that releives the stiff ness. if so call them up they will have you send it to them and they will rebuild it for free. the first few generations of their carb had this problem.. I have been using their carbs for 10 years now, they did have their share of issues but when running right they are dang fast. in the worcs series this year I have pulled 10 holeshots using this carb.

Brian112233
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
cable is fine. works good with stock carb. i will try removing clip for accelerator pump and calling edelbrock, thanks for the help.

as for the power with this carb, i agree it is great. it was easy to tune as well. it is much faster with this than the stock.

Brian112233
10-15-2010, 08:56 AM
talked to edlebrock yesterday, they told me to take a wrap off the spring on the throttle wheel. that should take care of it. i will do this and lube cable tomarrow to see what happene. i am going to work on tuning it in and getting a lighter throttle on sat. i will post back and let you know how things go.

Langbolt
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I had the EXACT same problem with my Hybrid XR650R - I rode for about an hour and my thumb was killing me.

I unwrapped the return spring 1 turn and it helped.

I found out my Accelerator shaft was bent and was hard to depress....got a new one and that helped.

The best was swapping the thumb throttle for a MOOSE Thumb Throttle.

It's still not light as a feather.....but it's rideable now

I wonder if they came out with a larger wheel that the cable resides on.....that would make it easier to turn ???

But might make the stroke to open/close longer....

:devil:

Brian112233
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
well, i look at the spring and it was only wrapped 1 time so if i took it of there would be no assist to return, i was not to confident with that so i backed it off about a quarter turn. that along with lubing the cable has helped. if i disconnect the shaft for the accelerator pump its light as can be, but it does not appear to be bent or distorted. as for the bigger wheel, i know the one my buddy has on his 440- 400ex has a wheel about 1.5-2 times as big as the one on mine, i will contact eldlebrock to see if i can put that one on.

Brian112233
10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
if anyone has a good knowledge of dialing one of these in, let me know. right now if i just ride around at about half throttle it breaks up a little, i get on it and it clears up and runs good. thanks again

desratt
10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
put the dial in the top of the carb. with bike shut off. give it all the gas push down on the dial and wiggle till it locks in and turn clock wise one click. this will raise the needle. richening the mid range a bit..

brewster426
10-22-2010, 06:37 PM
you can also put the spring on a belt sander and turn the spring with you fingers to make the spring a little thinner. just be careful and not take too much off.