PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 AG's '86 250r winter rebuild

4x4 AG
10-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Farily new to the forum and to 2 strokes. After searching and debating I picked up an 86 250r. I am looking forward to rebuilding and replacing things over the winter, and racing it in the spring.

I will post some better pictures after the weekend. I posted a few in my other thread.

Help that I am soliciting. A couple of things that I need to get right now, that I know of:

Head Stay
+2 a-arms
Bolt Kit

Any help on the best place to get these is much appreciated. I am figuring that most use Ebay to pick up things.

trx250racer
10-08-2010, 12:21 PM
i have one of those stainless kits that sell on ebay for $119
only thing i pulled out of it is the bolts for the handle bar clamp.
make an offer on it.

or i could put together a complete kit of OEM BOLTS if you prefer.

atvmxr
10-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I wouldnt worry about the head stay... I dont run them on the trx or the zillas...

Im an old school guy, and still run my motors like we did back in the day in the mid 90s. Which, yes was in fact a Wednesday.. :) there were 2 reasons not to run a head stay
one was the 87 rod/86 piston/spacer plate setup moved the jug up some and the head stay didnt fit. the spacer plate motor was THE set up back then
the other was chain torque, motor torque, i forget, but caused the motor to twist slightly. no headstay the cylinder moves inline with the motor twist. supposedly if you run the head stay, it holds the cylinder in place- when the motor twists and the cylinder doesnt, it puts a side load on the piston and you lose a few hundred topend rpm and hp..

Im sure there have been a great many improvement the past 15 years to make the above completely out of date. point being if you find a headstay great, but I wouldnt worry about if you dont

mxduner
10-09-2010, 02:44 PM
for mx i would run the head stay. my motor mount tab broke off with out 1. it was on an 88 frame however. I also heard several others have the same problem. jmo

mineralgrey01gt
10-10-2010, 08:36 AM
dont get that bolt kit off of ebay, try to go OEM if you can. Trust me, ill never run another one

4x4 AG
10-11-2010, 08:06 AM
So after tinkering with it some this weekend, I ripped up the neighborhood and had a blast. it has a lot of top end, but studders bad in the low end. unforetuneately for me the flowt got stuck and i poured fuel all over the place. so i took it off and fixed it, to only have it break again.

So the re-build starts early.

Question for the 250r wizards, as i am a noob to these. I am probably going to leave the engine fairly tame for the time being. I think that it is going to need a rebuild, but what way should i be looking to go for MX. I don't need a radical motor, just tame and reliable with a little low end. What should I be looking for? cyl, pipe, carb, air box?
current set-up, stock cylinder and carb, oe airbox sealed, and fmf fatty pipe.

Second, what about a good +2 front set-up? doesn't have to be top of the line, middle is fine, and doesn't have to be LT.

Thanks for the help. pics coming.

4x4 AG
10-11-2010, 08:10 AM
pic 1

4x4 AG
10-11-2010, 08:12 AM
pic 2

89trx250r
10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
nice buy man that thing looks clean and like a good platform to start from as far as for mx you can run anywhere from 265-330 and still be in goodshape anything over 330 and it starts to not be as long lasting if that makes sense. as far as low end power you could either get a pipe thats low-mid range (most mx pipes are mid-top i believe) or you could get a coolhead with interchangeable domes the lower the dome size the more bottom end and more compression and higher octane you need to run the larger the dome the more top end less compression and lower quality fuel most 250r's come stock witha 21 cc dome so i would assume thats still whats on your bike and i would also assume that is more of a mid-top pipe if your quad if feeling flat on the bottom

4x4 AG
10-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
nice buy man that thing looks clean and like a good platform to start from as far as for mx you can run anywhere from 265-330 and still be in goodshape anything over 330 and it starts to not be as long lasting if that makes sense. as far as low end power you could either get a pipe thats low-mid range (most mx pipes are mid-top i believe) or you could get a coolhead with interchangeable domes the lower the dome size the more bottom end and more compression and higher octane you need to run the larger the dome the more top end less compression and lower quality fuel most 250r's come stock witha 21 cc dome so i would assume thats still whats on your bike and i would also assume that is more of a mid-top pipe if your quad if feeling flat on the bottom

yah, i can get ahold of race fuel here in houston. so if i need to run that, it is fine. but as for upping the compression, do you have the same issues as you do on 4 pokes. the higher the compression the harder it is on the bottom end? I just don't want to push the bike too hard at first, as i am not going for really competitive right now. more just learning MX and fun.

As for the pipe, i am not sure, but if does lull at the bottom and absolutely screams at the top.

4x4 AG
01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Ok, it has been a while since I updated this. But alot has been going on.

I have purchased:

Head Stay
+2+1 LSR arms - then sold them again
+3 Houser LT arms and TCS shocks - what I have now.
Paul Turner Eliminator cylinder and new piston kit

I am about to order all new clutch assy. and upgrade kit.

Once I get all this in a ready to go, I will put it all back to gether.

Here is an update pic.

sameltoe
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
looks good!...
I like those arms!

JoePA
01-16-2011, 07:25 AM
How's the project coming along? Did the clutch upgrade kit get to you yet?

4x4 AG
01-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by JoePA
How's the project coming along? Did the clutch upgrade kit get to you yet?

Yes I got the upgrade kit. Thanks for that.

As for the project, well I am still accumulating parts. I have a few more in the mail and Honda of Houston Racing is putting my Hinson basket together. I didn't want to mess it up. Once I get that and a few other parts in, I will put the clutch back together. Then I need to finish up the top end and I should be ready for break in.

How about yours?

Trxjim
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Where abouts in houston are you. I just moved into a new place in cypress and am looking to start my next build. My leager pro-trax front end has been sitting in a box waaayy too long. Let me know if you need any parts, I have lots of extra odds and ends.

JoePA
01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Good deal! That clutch kit is amazing compraed to the 86 setup. Much smoother and easier.

Mine is coming along. Waiting on the arms from Burgard, Shocks are at WORKS getting resprung and revalved, Still didn't install the new swinger and I have to pull the engine and replace or repair the left side case!!!!

Keep us posted on the build. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

4x4 AG
01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Trxjim
Where abouts in houston are you. I just moved into a new place in cypress and am looking to start my next build. My leager pro-trax front end has been sitting in a box waaayy too long. Let me know if you need any parts, I have lots of extra odds and ends.

I live prety close to Tomball. Yah, I could use a few parts. I will start with your Leager...:)

Shoot me a PM on any good parts you are looking to sell. Finding 250r parts anywhere around here is tough. Most anything I get is off members on the sites and shipped from up North.

-Justin

4x4 AG
01-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by JoePA
Good deal! That clutch kit is amazing compraed to the 86 setup. Much smoother and easier.

Mine is coming along. Waiting on the arms from Burgard, Shocks are at WORKS getting resprung and revalved, Still didn't install the new swinger and I have to pull the engine and replace or repair the left side case!!!!

Keep us posted on the build. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Same to your Joe. I can't wait to ride it when it is done. Looks like I am not going to make the first race of the year though. It is Jan. 31st. and the second is Feb. 16th. That will be tight too.

atvmxr
01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Trxjim

wow, several years on here with nobody from TX and now have 4-5 of us in Houston area. good stuff :)

4x4 AG
05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Worked over the long weekend to try and make some progress. It is taking a while, but i am slowly getting there.

4x4 AG
05-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Another of the front.
Sorry I haven't posted as many pictures as I should of the total build.