PDA

View Full Version : got a problem

racer36
10-08-2010, 05:19 AM
So i took the plastics off the 400 to change out the steering stem, then put them back on the same way i took them off, when i first went to ride after i got it fixed, there was no power getting to the handlebars, i know for sure there is power at the battery, i was thinking id go along the wires checking for power, but wanted to see if you guys had any ideas.

thanks

honda400ex2003
10-08-2010, 10:02 AM
possibly one of the connectors for the front got missed or it is not connected all the way. that would be where i start looking anyway. check all three of the single connectors also as they have a tendancy to miss the correct spot in the boot too. I apologize for not remembering which wire the key switch is to look at that one. steve

racer36
10-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I messed with all the connectors, then i finally just checked for power, and there is no power even getting to those connectors?

tri5ron
10-10-2010, 10:22 AM
First verify that you have good fully charged battery.
Next, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

Pull the connector apart. Check each terminal, using a voltage meter. (meter turned on, with meter set to 20vdc).
Be sure you have a good ground for the meter ground probe, then check each wire/connector with the positive meter probe.

If no power, then check each wire going INTO the connector.
If you ARE getting power at the wires going INTO the connector, then you have found your problem.

If you ARE getting power at that side of the connector, then do the same process to the OTHER side of the connector. and start tracing it "Down stream".

If you are NOT getting power at the first connector or wire, then start tracing it "Up stream".

you will eventually find where you have an open circut.

Also check the condition of all t he wires. check for wearspots against the frame, agaisnt each other, or at any point of contact with other structure/hardware/tie-down points.
Check to see if any wires have been snagged or pulled.

Use your meter set to Ohms. (You will be checking for resistance), and check each end, of each wire, for continuity. you should read zero, (or near zero), Ohms for each wire.
You should also check all switches and connectors this way.

Make sure all ground points, and connection points, are clean, and free of corrosion, dirt, debris.

Careful, Methodical, process of elimination, and patience, is the key to finding the problem area.

Good luck.

racer36
10-11-2010, 05:29 AM
I got it fixed, it ended up being the dang fuse, it appeared to be fine, but when we checked it, it wasnt. thanks for all the help though guys

dan5
10-11-2010, 05:38 PM
WOW

After that great write-up from Ron about how to trouble shoot your wiring .

It's the fuse.

Reminds me of the time I turned off the fuel and my bike wouldn't start.

All's well that ends well :D :D

honda400ex2003
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
glad to hear that you got it all fixed up! Great write up also ron! steve