PDA

View Full Version : 05 won't start

Pacheco_450r
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
ok so, I've had my lights out of my bike for a while now and decided to clean up the handlebars and take out the light switches. I cut out all four wires for the lights but left the stock kill switch wired up. Now the bike won't start, it'll just turn over and backfire every once in a while. It started up fine before i messed with the wiring. Any ideas?

DnB_racing
10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
here is a schematic hope it helps, the only thing I can think of is the black wire is some how going to ground.

if its been sitting around all summer with old gas it could be another issue. did it run that day before you removed wires?

Baileygunns
10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Chase the wires back to the harness and unplug them completely and try to start it. That will eliminate any guess work about the cut wires. You don't need the kill switch/light housing at all to run the bike. If it starts with everything un plugged you can bet you have some how grounded the wires when you cut them.

Pacheco_450r
10-07-2010, 01:51 PM
thanks guys, yea, I'll try to unplug it and see if it'll start up. And yes it ran before I cut it, I ride it about twice a week so it's definitely electrical, the grounding of one of the wires may have been it, I'll check it out!

Pacheco_450r
10-07-2010, 02:03 PM
alright so i just checked it out both of you guys were right, it was the black wire that was grounding, i taped it off on its own, and my bike fired up with one kick! thanks for saving my weekend! haha