PDA

View Full Version : car help..

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I will try to make this as short as possible..
My fiances 96 mustang (3.8l) started to run hot. I checked radiator water lever (good), and checked if fans worked properly, they do, so I pulled out the thermostat, looked okay, so I put it in pan and boiled water to boiling poing (about 212f) and did not see it open since it is supposed to open at about 190-198f. Bought a new one, started screwing in one of the bolts, and to my luck one broke and is sticking out only about 1/8". I will try in the morning toget it out, I doubt I will be able to, there is no room to work with. But if I do get it out, when I go to put it back in, would it be okay to just put a bigger self tapping screw since the threads are probably screwed? and any tips on getting out broken bolt would be helpful..thanks

wilkin250r
10-06-2010, 07:06 PM
It seems whenever I work on something, some bolt somewhere breaks off.

The BEST tool I've found to get out broken bolts is a set of reverse-cut drill bits. You can find them on Amazon.com, search for reverse drill bit or left-hand drill bit.

And I've got about a dozen different helicoil sets over the years because of situations just like yours.

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I looked at autozone and they had some type of bit with threads on the end, but I wasn't sure if it was small enough for my small bolt. And the have a pulley in the way thats connected to the alternator, so theres no way I will be able to get a drill in the tight space..

CJM
10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Gotta take it apart and try and get it out or drill it out and tap it or use a reverse drill bit. Might have to get a right angle drill, milwaukee makes a really nice one.

A self tapping screw aint gonna cut it.

wilkin250r
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
You might be able to get something like this. They're made to grip rounded heads on bolts, but you might be able to get one small enough to actually grip the shaft of the bolt and twist it out.

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Those might work, if I can find one small enough. I only have about 4 or 5 inches of space to work with to fit something in there. Looking at it to take it apart, seems like something I won't even attempt, don't even see how I would start taking it apart. wilkin- what are them things called? so I know what to ask for at the dept. store, thanks

CJM
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Remove the alternator, just a few bolts.

wilkin250r
10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
All types go by several general names. Bolt extractor, stud extractor, bolt removal kit, ect. I don't even know if that particular type has a specific name.

The type that you were describing earlier, the bits with the threads on the end, generally go by the name easy-out or something similar to that.

But if you ask for bolt extractors, you'll get all different styles. The bits with the threads, the square type that are essentially the same thing (used the same way), and the socket type like the ones in the picture that are meant to grip the stud from the outside.

wilkin250r
10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Remove the alternator, just a few bolts.

It's not the alternator, it's a pully that's in the way. Sometimes they are pressed on, can be tricky.

CJM
10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's not the alternator, it's a pully that's in the way. Sometimes they are pressed on, can be tricky.
I thought he said the pulley was on the alternator?

Sometimes pressed on, most are bolted on. Wish I could see it for myself.

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
looking at the pulley itself, I have no idea how it would come off. I might have to bring it to show down the road see what they can do, if they can just get ithe damned bolt out.

Sjorge450R
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
you said you got a1/8"? thats enough for some vice grips to go on there. Put em on, clamp em down and turn it out. If you dont have enough room, run to sears and pick up a mini set of vice grips. Best things to have laying around for these tight calls.

fasterblaster09
10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Finally got it, we tried 4 different kinds of vice grips lol, just wasn't enough. I ended up being it to a small shop down theroad from my house, and welded a bolt on it and unscrewed it for me for 15 bucks, I can live with that lol. I thin what broke it was it was it was pretty tight screwing one of the bolts in, so I took the thermostat housing off and was going to work the screw in and out by itself, and didn't realize the hole wasn't deep and was all the way in and it broke. But it's back together now, wound up being the hose that needed to be changed, noticed it collapsing after we were testing. O well at least I know the thermostat is new. thanks for the help