PDA

View Full Version : More Anti-Quad BS READ!!!!!!!!!!!

rocketman528
10-06-2010, 04:59 PM
More so called experts telling the world how atvs are death traps
MSNBC ARTICAL (http://health.newsvine.com/_news/2010/10/06/5243378-atvs-more-deadly-than-motorcycles#comments)

CJM
10-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Yea sure, cause motorcycles are far safer...

finsteratv
10-06-2010, 06:30 PM
you cant blame a machine for being the reason for a crash unless its somthing mechanical. many of the deathes from atv's ive heard of are from as some said in that article lack of common sense and good judgement.

chucked
10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Its because anyone can spend a couple hundred bucks and get a quad. motorcycle's require a license and a few grand, plus tags, insurance, and it must pass an inspection

99400esex
10-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Really stupid. I hate hearing that quads in general are dangerous. If you think about it a lot of things are dangerous, I mean anything can happen at any time right? Not that I think about or worry about that all the time but its true, im sure some of you could agree that sometimes tragic things can happen instantly without control. For example look at vehicles, people die tragically in accidents all the time all around the world but we rely on them every day to get us where we need to go, I know I don't worry about getting in an accident every time I have to drive somewhere because that would be ridiculous. What makes our favorite hobbies any different? The people that write these articles obviously have never grown to love and respect quads and riding as much as the people who have enjoyed it all their lives. Sorry for the rant.

CJM
10-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Its just like the anti-gun people, if they dont like it no one should be allowed to do it.

jgar
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Its just like the anti-gun people, if they dont like it no one should be allowed to do it.

Dont worry I know what is best for YOU....

CJM
10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by jgar
Dont worry I know what is best for YOU....

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. -Ronald Reagan

scary aint it?

Such as the way it goes these days, sooner or later we will only be able to eat with spoons cause knives and forks are to sharp dontcha know.

NED441SUZ
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
MSNBC is against anything American. Just watch it for a few minutes. They are anti-freedom.

J.Brown121
10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
This doesn't even make sense:
"In a presentation this morning, the researchers said that even when the severity of injuries was the same, the patients who had been riding ATVs were 50 percent more likely to die, and 50 percent more likely to need treatment in an intensive care unit and mechanical ventilation, compared to the motorcycle riders."

If it were the same severity, then why would one injury be more likely to cause death than another?

CJM
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by J.Brown121
This doesn't even make sense:
"In a presentation this morning, the researchers said that even when the severity of injuries was the same, the patients who had been riding ATVs were 50 percent more likely to die, and 50 percent more likely to need treatment in an intensive care unit and mechanical ventilation, compared to the motorcycle riders."

If it were the same severity, then why would one injury be more likely to cause death than another?

Cause its cooked up bravo sierra..thats why.

Canadian144
10-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Being both an ATV and a dirtbike guy now, IMO they are both about equal in terms of dangerousness, while riding off road.

But an ATV compared to a street bike... there is no comparison. Thinking about riding a street bike scares the hell outta me. Look at ATV and dirtbike injuries - they are almost always self-caused injuries (ex going to fast into a corner). With streetbikes, 99% of the time, it's not the riders fault - its the fault of the car that has cut them off or merged into their lane.

I think if we looked at street bike accidents that were 100% the motorcyclist's fault, and compared that to ATV or dirtbike deaths, obviously the street bikes would have a way lower number of accidents.

All three - dirtbikes, ATVs, and street bikes - all three are definitely dangerous. But is one dangerous than the others? I'd say yes, street bikes are much more dangerous, again because you can't control what other drivers around you are doing.

quad2xtreme
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
given the number of bicycles ridden on the road, they are far more dangerous. Comparatively speaking, you have a higher chance of getting hit by a car on a bicycle than even wrecking on a streetbike. The damages are way worse...almost always some form of brain damage. Nobody seems to try outlawing bicycle riding on the roads.

Canadian144
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
^ +1 on that, bicycles must have slipped my mind!

Just last week a guy was coming down the big hill that runs in front of my school (on one of the busiest roads in Toronto, Yonge Street), and the guy was going near full speed in the rain (not sure if he had a helmet on, he must have, I didn't see the actual crash). There was a delivery truck (UPS) parked at the bottom of the hill, on the road, and the delivery guy was inside a building dropping off a package. I'm sure you guys can guess what happened - the cyclist went straight into the back of the truck.

The had to shut all southbound lanes down in front of my school, had like 4 ambulances on scene, etc etc. Apparently the guy lived... he must have gotten really lucky.

KXRida
10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Working in the trauma field, I almost have to agree with that article. First off, rural Pennsylvania is populated with more quads than bikes. No arguing about that. The injury rate I personally see resulting from quads is unreal. We see some pretty serious bike related injuries (mostly on road) but in an atv related crash you're more likely to have an increase in the severity of your injuries, especially if it's a roll over. Why? The sheer crushing force can easily cause pulmonary trauma (collapsed lung, severe contusions, hemothorax, etc) that would require more intensive interventions (chest tubes, ventilators, surgery). The two most common atv related injuries I personally see working at a trauma center are traumatic brain injuries (both helmeted and unhelmeted, but more from option number one) and rib fractures. To add insult to injury, with pulmonary injuries you're also predisposed to an increase in complications during your recovery, big one being pneumonia. Our trauma center published an article last spring on atv/motorcycle injuries. It's not a bashing "anti-quad bs" seminar, it's informing people of the risks associated with the sport. If they can't accept them and control themselves responsibly, stay at home and play chess. Most people (mainly parents) are in the mindset that atv's are safe. With this mentality, it's not hard to get carried away and I'm sure we've all been guilty of that at one point or another when we're picking ourselves up off the ground saying that was stupid lol.

Yes, streetbike injuries can be serious no doubt about that, but what is causing the ATV injuries to be more complicated is the crushing force in a roll over. You're more likely to have multiple trauma in a motorcycle collision (fractures, lacerations, abrasions, etc) but it's easier to recover from those seeing that they are not as life threatening. Being on a ventilator is no fun kiddo's I see it everyday and have taken care of a few of my buddies in the same situation.

Ichoptop
10-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I would agree with KXRida. After riding both quads and bikes I would say quads are more dangerous. Bike are much easier to get away from and dont weigh nearly as much.

But I also look at the people riding both. How many people do you see riding a dirt bike without a helmet vs. how many people ride quads without. Im not talking the racers or hardcore trail guys but the guy in his back 40 screwing around on his grizzly. Most of the deaths we here about in my state arent from the trails but from a farmer flipping a rincon without any gear.

All in all, I'll be damned if they tell me what I can and cant ride. I love my quads and understand the issues. Wear the proper gear and dont do anything stupid and there is no need to worry.

Lasher
10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
KXRida - Interested to hear is most of you ATV accidents are from 4x4 quad (heavy beasts) or sport quads?

I race MX and there is not a race where an EMT never has to run onto the track. Most accidents result in "minor" injuries. Now, there have a been a few serious and fatal injuries but those seem to be far a few between.

When you talk of quads rolling onto people, I assume that the 4x4 quads are causing the damage. Every race I watch people have quads on top of them, and a large percentage just get up, push the quad back on its wheels and finish the race.

wilkin250r
10-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
Our trauma center published an article last spring on atv/motorcycle injuries. It's not a bashing "anti-quad bs" seminar, it's informing people of the risks associated with the sport. If they can't accept them and control themselves responsibly, stay at home and play chess. Most people (mainly parents) are in the mindset that atv's are safe. With this mentality, it's not hard to get carried away

This is what I would truly love to see the media focus on. Not a message of "ATVs are dangerous, let's ban them", but more along the lines of "Just because an ATV feels stable, doesn't mean it's more safe. It's a very dangerous machine, proper precaution must be taken"

quad2xtreme
10-07-2010, 09:34 AM
My wife works in trauma too. She is more comfortable with me riding mx track than riding my Cannondale bicycle on the country roads here in NC. Both bikes are sitting in our storage unit...waiting for me to post on craigslist. There aren't any bike trails within 30 minutes of our house.

jcs003
10-07-2010, 02:20 PM
i think they should ban cancer. more people die from cancer than anything. sarcasm aside. people who are not cautious doing whatever it is that they do will put themselves in harmes way. people should be able to do what they like within reason, as long others are being considered. if you put your child on your ATV while your drunk or goofing off you should be punished by the full extent of the law.

bottom line is: all this government sanctioning and law making is tearing our country apart. the safety guidelines are so strict people cant earn a living for the threat of the job getting shut down because some idiot fell or was not paying attention and hurt a co-worker and etc. we all just ned to take responsibility for our own actions and keep the government in check.

KXRida
10-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Lasher
KXRida - Interested to hear is most of you ATV accidents are from 4x4 quad (heavy beasts) or sport quads?

I race MX and there is not a race where an EMT never has to run onto the track. Most accidents result in "minor" injuries. Now, there have a been a few serious and fatal injuries but those seem to be far a few between.

When you talk of quads rolling onto people, I assume that the 4x4 quads are causing the damage. Every race I watch people have quads on top of them, and a large percentage just get up, push the quad back on its wheels and finish the race.

Most of the crushing injuries are related to the utility quads. Given the area (we are one of only two trauma centers in central pa) we get a wide variety of backgrounds. I've got a few guys in the trauma unit from bpg as well so not to discriminate against the sport quads. I think it's mostly due to the comfort one can gain so quickly on a quad. When that happens you lose respect for what the machine can really do and end up hurt. I'll say this, just wear your helmets. I can't tell you how many traumatic brain injuries could have been reduced or even prevented by the use of a helmet.

Originally posted by quad2xtreme
My wife works in trauma too. She is more comfortable with me riding mx track than riding my Cannondale bicycle on the country roads here in NC. Both bikes are sitting in our storage unit...waiting for me to post on craigslist. There aren't any bike trails within 30 minutes of our house.

I'd have to disagree personally. My non-offroad oriented co-workers joke every spring by saying it's trauma season because atv's and bikes are out. With motor vehicle accidents and geriatric falls aside, atv's make up a large portion of our ICU beds every year. I wish I would have saved the article from last spring. It had some great statistics and real, unskewed facts from our trauma center.

Tommy Warren
10-08-2010, 07:46 PM
With 2wd bikes you usually fall off and roll a few time then the bike happens to land on top of you....with 4wd bikes people think they can scale walls and try steep hills with no momentum...the bike usually lands directly on top of them...

hypersnyper6947
10-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Everything can be dangerous if not respected. Firearms, atv's, dirtbikes, vehicles, women etc... ok just kidding about the women but you get the point. People just need to know their's and their machines limets and take the proper precautions like wearing the proper safety gear. My friends like to talk shyt about me wearing my leatt, but i tell you what it only took one good spill at the track for me to realize i should always have it on. People are dumb and do dumb things to cause themself injury, bottom line. Im not saying every accident is because of this, but most probably could have been avoided.