View Full Version : 09 grizzly too light on fr axle

kjw1961
10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I have a 2009 700 yamaha grizzly without power steering,it is easy to steer but found it to be too light on the front end,6 weeks ago,2 friends one with a 2003 grizz and other 500 polaris went up a some what sttep hill,I had extra weight on front and still my quad went over back wards breaking 3 ribs fracturing 2,does anybody else have this problem or know how I can rectifie it,my 2003 grizzly works great,did manufactures change something,to lighten front ends on newer grizzes????

Regular_Joe
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Sounds like operator error. Front end weight should barely come in to play. Stand up, lean over the front, steady on the gas, combined with a good amount of momentum you can climb just about anything without issue.

CJM
10-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes, driver error. You want to lean as much far forward as possible while attempting something like climbing a hill to center enough weight over the front and not fall backwards.

kjw1961
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM
well unless you guys own one,you don't know,I have friends drive this thing and say the same thing,I also had a 230 lb guy on front rack when it went over,so if some who owns ones can tell me he is having no difficulties,I have a problem machine.I'm in BC and ride in steep torain and have lots of experience,so I assure you it was not driver error......

CJM
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Then that just seems very odd that it tipped over so easily.

Perhaps it was due to the machine, idk for sure.

LTandRaptorider
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
First thing that stood out in the second post of your story was... You had a 230lb friend riding on the front rack while climbing a steep hill??!! Not being a wise-*** here, but that's not smart.

For climbing hills you need two things, speed and momentum. Maybe you were climbing the hill too slow since you had someone on the front? I doubt the Grizz 700 is any less capable of climbing hills the the 660. Some hills are just too steep, and rider experience is most important.

Ride fun, but ride smart. :cool:

kjw1961
10-06-2010, 07:24 PM
obviously nobody is following the real problem here::confused:

CJM
10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by kjw1961
obviously nobody is following the real problem here::confused:

I have ridden many atvs, bikes and go karts. Every single one is different in way they handle. I have flipped a few times and yea it sucks-BUT there has to be a reason why it flipped over. Not enough speed, poor weight distribution, improper handling, misjudging something, etc.

My 400ex is much lighter than your grizzly and has WAY less weight on the front period and I havent ever flipped backwards. You probably were going to slow, or caught a rut, or misjudged something or perhaps the person on the front (WHICH YOU SHOULDNT EVER EVER EVER EVER DO!) threw the weight distribution off. Or maybe it was your expierance?

I dont know why it flipped, but your talking to a bunch of guys who generally ride much lighter quads than a grizzly and dont flip them much if not ever so you cant say we arent getting it.

I dont know how I can make it anymore simpler to understand-it is not the machines fault-its yours!

kjw1961
10-07-2010, 02:38 AM
you'd whistle a diferent tune if u rode this thing................

TCracin440ex
10-07-2010, 06:18 AM
not trying to be a dick or anything, but if you know the answer to your problem then why did you come on here and ask? seems like everybody here has offerd their opinion and you reject it and say they dont know. well imo if you know whats wrong and what happened then whyd you ask?

300ex_#387
10-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I own one. Never have a problem getting up hills.

250x_kyle
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
my inlaws have a few and they never seem to have any problems getting up hill. most likely didnt have enough momentum with the wrong body position and over you went.

Sjorge450R
10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
i raced XC for years. I dont care what you are riding, if it has 2 wheels or 4, you need speed and you need momentum to get up a hill. Otherwise the torque from your rear wheels is gonna flip that quad right up into the air, Its physics. Just learn to ride before hitting stuff like that.

Honda5
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
On the warning badges there is a picture of a stick man sitting on the front with a line across it that means no skinny guys. Maybe the guy sitting on the front wasn't fat enough.

honda400ex2003
10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
nothing moves on its own. gotta have an input to get it to move.

no offense but:

stupid in=stupid out
gas+hill= flip over

not calling you stupid but paying attention will get you a long way compared to just pinning it at the bottom of the hill to try get up. im not saying that is what you did but something has to happen for it to flip over. steve

kjw1961
10-07-2010, 05:59 PM
actaully you r being a dick,all I wondered is if anybody had same problem or knew why it was light......i'll leave it at that,thank you all for your replys.

TCracin440ex
10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
you are not leaving a good taste in the other members mouths with your attitude. your just a newbie. you asked a question, you got an answer. might not be the one you seeked but you got one.

honda400ex2003
10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
easy buddy... no need to be like that. it is a yamaha what do you expect? the performance of a honda? should have bought one of them instead, all the hondas i have go up hills just fine. leaning up the hill instead of off the back usually helps keep the front end from getting light also. maybe give it a try although it is tough to do with a buddy on the front rack. these are 2 important things learned at an atv safety course which you obviously have never taken. :rolleyes:

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/sign0024.gif (hattp://www.smilieshq.com)

steve

ZSK
10-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by kjw1961
actaully you r being a dick,all I wondered is if anybody had same problem or knew why it was light......i'll leave it at that,thank you all for your replys.

Take your bathroom scale to it and get a weight from each corner. I'll compare it to my Polaris.