PDA

View Full Version : 86 i am looking to pick up

4x4 AG
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
in this pic, which is all i have at this moment, doesn't it look like the rear brakes are not in working condition?

Also, at the bottom of the engine it looks to be missing a bolt? or am i wrong.

thanks.

250Renvy
10-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Those are minor issues, depending on the price.

Since it has been refurbed, I'd look closely at the frame for welds that are in odd places. The factory welds are not that nice, so some times it's hard to tell, but you just want to make sure it wasn't welded a bunch of times improperly then powdercoated to cover it up.

Look for other issues of bad fix ups as well.

4x4 AG
10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Yah, i am going to look at those kind of things. it has been looked at by a welder, supposedly, and it was powder coated. they are asking 1400.

here are a couple other pics. let me know if you see anything i should be suspicious of.

4x4 AG
10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
another.

250Renvy
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
It doesn't look too bad or have any things that just jump out. If he's asking 1400 see if he'll take 1100 - that would be a pretty good deal and give some room for fix ups.

atvmxr
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
$1400 for that - in/near Houston?? you better buy it before me or Justin do!!

LOL

4x4 AG
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
$1400 for that - in/near Houston?? you better buy it before me or Justin do!!

LOL

back off. hahaha... i thought you were out of the r's. didn't you part all of yours out.

Justin, you mean Lawson? I thought he bought one already.

atvmxr
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 4x4 AG
back off. hahaha... i thought you were out of the r's. didn't you part all of yours out.

Justin, you mean Lawson? I thought he bought one already.

what?? out of Rs? parting them out? hell no! :eek2: must have misunderstood my response to you, when you asked me if I wanted to sell one to you and I wasnt willing... :D

confusion might have come from me either mentioning Sean in San Antonio that was parting one out, or a couple that I had bought off a guy that were in boxes of parts...

Justin (Lawson) contacted me recently about the same thing, wanting to buy an R from me. Seems he found one pretty quick though. have you seen pics of it?

4x4 AG
10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
what?? out of Rs? parting them out? hell no! :eek2: must have misunderstood my response to you, when you asked me if I wanted to sell one to you and I wasnt willing... :D

confusion might have come from me either mentioning Sean in San Antonio that was parting one out, or a couple that I had bought off a guy that were in boxes of parts...

Justin (Lawson) contacted me recently about the same thing, wanting to buy an R from me. Seems he found one pretty quick though. have you seen pics of it?

I thought you were selling some parts on here or the net site. I mean, you have a plethera of r's to choose from. ha.

Yah i thought Lawson had bought this one. but it seems it is still out there. I am going to look at it closer this afternoon. hopefully it will be a good project. He admitted that a welder has touched up some cracks that were in the frame. So we will see. I need a good foundation for a project quad.

rageatvlawson8
10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
nope not the one that I bought....you planning on racing it?? Be nice to see a couple R's show up. I should have mine ready for the north vs south if I can find some rear plastics. Mine are pretty thrashed but they wont stop me from racing it. I'll try to get some pics up in next couple days but ya 1400 in houston area is almost a steal right now.

turboTony
10-07-2010, 12:11 AM
That's in MUCH better shape that the one I paid $1400 for. And it looks like both case saver bolts are even intact! lol

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by rageatvlawson8
nope not the one that I bought....you planning on racing it?? Be nice to see a couple R's show up. I should have mine ready for the north vs south if I can find some rear plastics. Mine are pretty thrashed but they wont stop me from racing it. I'll try to get some pics up in next couple days but ya 1400 in houston area is almost a steal right now.

Yes, i am planning on racing in SORP next season. I will not be ready for N vs. S, the rear is widened. But i need +2 a arms and to rebuild the front end. it is pretty wore out.

I ended up paying 1200 for the bike. it is pretty much completely stock. even the original plastics. It has some issues here and there. but it is an 86. so that is to be expected.

Yall do any two stroke work over at Rage?

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 06:18 AM
another pick.

purchased for 1200.

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 06:23 AM
I will probably start another build thread in time. I am new to the R scene. I rebuilt my 86 TRX125 a while back and loved it. so i am excited about the chance to rebuild this one and take it racing with the local organization.

I will be selling some of the parts that i replace. So i will post them up here when i do.

Here is a pic of the 125 I re-did. It was mine as a kid. and down right indistructable.

atvmxr
10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
pretty damn good deal AG. although, those are not OEM plastics, hood maybe. no big deal though, just FYI

Dee @ Rage did a pretty good job with an R motor I had him rebuild some 6-7 years ago, maybe even longer. it was before he blew up on the 450r scene. the price was damn good for the work done. He basically got Arlan on the phone and figure out how to recreate the port work on a LRD jug that I thrashed.
Now days, I dont know. I hear that Dee is really busy building pro motors these days, especially in the off season. Justin would know better about their work load..

I have since got really familiar with the R motors and rebuild them myself now. so I can help you out with alot of it and have Rage do porting and boring/hone or I know other places too. guess this was just a long post to say I can help :)

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
pretty damn good deal AG. although, those are not OEM plastics, hood maybe. no big deal though, just FYI

Dee @ Rage did a pretty good job with an R motor I had him rebuild some 6-7 years ago, maybe even longer. it was before he blew up on the 450r scene. the price was damn good for the work done. He basically got Arlan on the phone and figure out how to recreate the port work on a LRD jug that I thrashed.
Now days, I dont know. I hear that Dee is really busy building pro motors these days, especially in the off season. Justin would know better about their work load..

I have since got really familiar with the R motors and rebuild them myself now. so I can help you out with alot of it and have Rage do porting and boring/hone or I know other places too. guess this was just a long post to say I can help :)

I thought that they looked original, but i am a noob. so i can be easily confused.

I will definately be soliciting help in the near future. i plan on taking it out and ripping it up this weekend, and then rebulding over the winter. i am pretty sure the engine will need work. he said it had a 270 bb, but it is still the stock 246 jug. so i am sure it is on its last bore at 270. and who know when that was. also, it sputters some so i am sure there is some carb issues there. But it does start up first or second kick. But the kicker catches sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. so i will be looking into that.

all in all, i plan on wider front suspension and a motor more built and fresh for MX. maybe a 310 with an trx5? who knows.

wilkin250r
10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
It's a great deal, but there are lots of little things I'm noticing (and you've noticed as well, I'm sure).

The fact that it has SO many missing bolts and things (bottom motor mount, rear airbox, grab bar, bushing on seat mount, bushing on fender mount, front bumper, just to name a few) would make me a tad nervous about how it was put together. I would go through every nut and bolt, replace any that are missing, and check each and every single one for tightness. And I mean EVERY one.

Still a heck of a deal, though.

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's a great deal, but there are lots of little things I'm noticing (and you've noticed as well, I'm sure).

The fact that it has SO many missing bolts and things (bottom motor mount, rear airbox, grab bar, bushing on seat mount, bushing on fender mount, front bumper, just to name a few) would make me a tad nervous about how it was put together. I would go through every nut and bolt, replace any that are missing, and check each and every single one for tightness. And I mean EVERY one.

Still a heck of a deal, though.

Yah i noticed that. I am planning on getting one of the 'bolt kits' that replaces all the bolts. i am going to do that as i tear it down and put it back together. It is definately not a totally complete quad, but a good project.

any bolt kits better than others?

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 4x4 AG
Yah i noticed that. I am planning on getting one of the 'bolt kits' that replaces all the bolts. i am going to do that as i tear it down and put it back together. It is definately not a totally complete quad, but a good project.

any bolt kits better than others?

he also gave me the OEM bumper, and the rear brake set-up for it. plus, he gave me the Clymer manual for it. so that was a help.

atvmxr
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM
good grief, man it sounds like you got a killer deal. you only paid a couple bills more than I did for that 87 that was a complete basket case.

so when/where you ridding this weekend?? my ankle is kinda healing up and I think its about time to go for a ride.

4x4 AG
10-07-2010, 01:39 PM
good grief, man it sounds like you got a killer deal. you only paid a couple bills more than I did for that 87 that was a complete basket case.

so when/where you ridding this weekend?? my ankle is kinda healing up and I think its about time to go for a ride.

Oh, I am taking it out to my moms place near austin. I am going to see her and my sis on sunday, so i will buzz it around there some. Then after that i am going to tear it apart and try to have it ready for MX by spring.

You still got parts you are selling?

mxduner
10-09-2010, 02:35 PM
ag, that is a good deal imo. and on the bolt kits, do your research on them. There is some okay ones and there is 1 out there somewhere that is a great one. i think there is a thread on the .net site if my memory is correct.