PDA

View Full Version : kicking hard

bean2080
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
first of all, i really dont think that it is the decompression switch. i have checked it many times and its in adjustment.

heres the story, a while back i was having alot of trouble with shims. it wouldnt start at all so i re shimmed it and ended up having to put the smallest shim in (i know i have some head/valve trouble but i think thats besides the point as of now) anyway, before i reshimmed it, it would kick over fine, wouldnt start but would kick over really easy. after i reshimmed it, it would start the first kick, but it would kick over really hard. it kind of felt like it had one hard spot in it and the rest of the kick is easy like its suppost to be.

im positive that the decompression is adjusted right, you wouldnt think it would be kicking hard because of the thin shim do you? there is no knocking or grinding of any sort in the motor so i dont really think it is the crank.

like i said everything seemd perfect before i re shimmed it and now after i re shimmed it its kicking hard. but after just kick it once it starts up and runs like a charm. i was just a little worried about it kicking hard. it dont really bother me that it is kicking hard but i know something is wrong and i want to fix it. plus after i do all my motor work and replace some bearings im thinking of selling it, so i want it to be right for when i sell it.

thanks alot

Ruf Racing
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
If it runs well after started, I would think it still might be the decomp. Make sure you are checking it properly. Good luck.

bean2080
10-06-2010, 10:46 AM
thats the only thing i could think of too, i acually took the set screw clear out and screwed it clear in just trying different settings and it still didnt help.

Ruf Racing
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
If it is running like you say, go ride. Maybe start doing some leg squats. lol! :D

Baileygunns
10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Time for new valves... Once they start to wear they go quick... Seeing you have the smallest shim in there, you can be rested assured that they are worn.

bean2080
10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
im in the process of getting things together to get ready to do it. im not sure if its the valves or the seats so i need to find that out yet. i may have to get my head machined anyway. just trying to get some prices from different companys. thanks for the replys guys, i guess ill just ride it and see where it goes from there.

eastside 400
10-06-2010, 07:20 PM
the valves going would do the opposite of what your complaint is, if they are worn out completely then you wouldnt have compression and it wouldnt start up by kicking it. If you have the smallest shim then you do need valves and a valve job though, but that isnt your problem with the kicking. Also anytime you put valves in you NEED to do a valve job... if this is only the first time for a valve job then you shouldnt need new seats, they can usually be cut a couple times. Are you sure the decomp mechanism is assembled right? the springs break sometimes, i doubt thats the problem but you might wanna check it out to make sure

bean2080
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
as far as i know this will be the first time that the valves have needed replaced, its a 08 but i bought it used. i wasnt sure if the seats needed cut or not but ill just go on the safe side and do it. all the valves i have done in the past i have just lapped them and went with that but i want to go it good on this quad. since we are on the topic does anyone recomend any companys that do a good job that also dosent cost me a arm and a leg? also, im just wondering but if i just got it cut wouldnt the same problem just happen again? wouldnt i have to go all TI or all SS, i believe that the way it is now that stock that the valves and seats are made out of different types of metal, which causes the problem. i think? lol

as for the decomp, i really dont have any idea what could be wrong, it could very easly be the spring. as long as you all dont think its a major thing that needs fixed right a way i might just let it go untill i fix the valve problem, im trying to make it hold off untill this winter but i will have to see i guess.

hrc450er
10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
stock has ti intake as ss exhaust. ti wears out fast for a few reasons. the metal is a little softer and once they start to wear they go quick , dirt in the head will also wear them fast. the stock seats arent good with ti valves. id just put ss valves in it the 05 valves will fit espectially if your going to sell it. they are alot cheaper

eastside 400
10-07-2010, 08:51 AM
yea its not really the valves that are the problem, its the seats, they are not meant for Ti valves, they are too hard. If you put copper seats in with Ti valves they will last a long time without adjustment. Throw a set of SS valves with a valve job and new springs meant for the SS valves and your set. Call Toby at Moto-Xperts, great work and service

bean2080
10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
thanks for the replys guys, hopefully i can get the valve and decomp all fixed at the same time.

bean2080
10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
thought i would post you all a little update. i looked into the decomp issue just because i am a perfectionist and it was driving me crazy. but anyway, i went in and checked the springs and they were fine, checked the gap again, it was still at .0010 and from what i could tell everything looked good to go. i got to thinking though, i wonder if it is kicking "normal" now and the guy that had it before me had it adjusted so it would kick alot easier? anyway, i guess its ok, like i said before the quad runs great so i guess theres no more stuff to check lol i also drained my oil and cut open my oil filter and there was no metal shavings at all in it, so i think its safe to say that my crank is in good shape.

IdahoMX
10-11-2010, 06:47 AM
My bike was doing this same thing, went back to check the timing and I was off by 1 tooth. Ran fine this way, just a pain to kick

quadman21
10-12-2010, 12:47 PM
So between the two of you having the same issues, what do you determine the actual cause to be? I have an 05 that I had torn l down last month to replace the countershaft bearing and it's doing the same thing. It is hard as heck to kick over. Like described, when the kicker is at the top of the stroke if feels like i'm gonna break it, but once I get past the hard spot it kicks over fine and runs well...EXCEPT... that it does feel a little flat. It also hiccups a little on the top end. It's very rideable just annoying. Before the tear down it kicked over VERY easy but ran great.
I have the left side cover off right now as I am replacing the cam chain. While i'm here, can someone refresh my momory of the valve clearances are on the 05?

Scro
10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by quadman21
So between the two of you having the same issues, what do you determine the actual cause to be? I have an 05 that I had torn l down last month to replace the countershaft bearing and it's doing the same thing. It is hard as heck to kick over. Like described, when the kicker is at the top of the stroke if feels like i'm gonna break it, but once I get past the hard spot it kicks over fine and runs well...EXCEPT... that it does feel a little flat. It also hiccups a little on the top end. It's very rideable just annoying. Before the tear down it kicked over VERY easy but ran great.
I have the left side cover off right now as I am replacing the cam chain. While i'm here, can someone refresh my momory of the valve clearances are on the 05?

.004-.006 Intake
.008-.010 Exhaust