PDA

View Full Version : Hang on stands

ZeroLogic
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
What are your opinions on them? I have an Field and stream climbing stand and I hate it. It is noisy uncomfortable and dangerous. I slid all the way down a tree opening day. I was looking at the Rivers edge hanging stands. Are they secure? Comfortable? Stable? Are you limited to what kind of trees (bark) you can hang it on?

Pappy
10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
The RE stands arent bad at all...most hang on stands infact are fairly decent.....just not my cup of tea.

1) They need to be hung way before season as it really is a fair amount of work to hang them, level them etc. 3 of us used to go out and hang them.

2) They are not an easy mid season change...see #1

3) I dont like carrying and installing steps/ladder but in a high theft area it can work to your advantage.

4) I never felt comfprtable climbing from what ever means I used to get to the stand

Other then that they are stable, usually offer a larger foot print and the seats are about the same as the rest. I use an Ol' man climber thats probably 15 years old. It has a netted seat and I can catch some serious sleep in it! Its fairly quiet, easy to set up and is pretty steady. There is another company out there that offers an all aluminum unit that, to me, looks like a copy of the Ol' man line.

http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/

ZeroLogic
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the info there Pappy. That was one of my concerns about the mobility of the stands. But I figure they will stick around that area til rifle season. (they have for the past three years) That stand looks to comfortable!:p I want to hunt not sleep!
I'm goin to take a ride up to Gander Mt, (Cabelas is to far) Friday night and see what they have.

I'm not afraid of climbing ladders or the sort, I do it everyday for work. So that isn't really a problem for me. Its just the self climbing really isn't dependable.

Pappy
10-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Just take a good hard look at the ladders and climbing sticks...imaging them covered in slime, ice, etc. Then figure you only get a portion of whats there to actually hang on to:p

We wen the ladder stand route years ago and bought like 20 of them. They are the easiest for most of us on the farm and here, but they arent always the easiets to get in a dang tree:ermm: :D

ZeroLogic
10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I'd buy a ladder stand in a heart beat, but I hunt on public property so it would disappear in a heartbeat, they sick out pretty well. I'm not to crazy about climbing sticks, So I was leaning more towards the ladder and attach it to the tree and lock it.

How exactly do the hang on stands attach?

Is there jaws that lock on the tree and a a cable wrapped around the tree?

Pappy
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Most use a cable/chain or even ratchet style strap and some include a screw device to further anchor it (probably not allowed on public land, neither are the screw in tree steps)

I saw GM had the new aluminum Ol' Man on sale:devil:

What ever you buy, invest in one of the new style safety vests.

ZeroLogic
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Most use a cable/chain or even ratchet style strap and some include a screw device to further anchor it (probably not allowed on public land, neither are the screw in tree steps)

I saw GM had the new aluminum Ol' Man on sale:devil:

What ever you buy, invest in one of the new style safety vests.
I guess we gotta take a ride up to Gander Mountain then Pappy!

That's one of the main reasons for me choosing the RE stands. They come with a full body harness. :macho

Latemodel32
10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Get a doublebull ground blind they work awsome i use it on stateland. I have over 3200 acres of stateland around me plus i own 30acres. I have hanging stands and ladderstands all over my property. It would be a pain in the butt putting a hanging stand up on stateland and taking it back down that night. Doublebull takes a few sec. to set up and take down... Just another option for ya. :D

VTredneckgames
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Personally, Id buy another climber.

You can always permanently hang a climber, but you cant climb a hanger.

I love my API stands.

838xcracer
10-22-2010, 05:55 PM
We only use a ground blind. They are the bomb!! Set up in seconds, Keep your noise and smell down. Plus in the cold we use a Mr. heater it and you will be down to your boxers no matter how cold it is. Plus in the snow and rain and wind you are cozy warm and dry. The boy has killed a ton of animals in it. He just shot a nice 6 pointer yesterday at 10 yards and he didn't even know we were there and it was a VERY VERY windy day. Last year a huge 8 point was 4 feet from us and he didn't even know it.

Last year a little buck was eating grapes that had fallen on the roof and slid down the sides. His head was pushing in the sides of the blind and Michael was poking him in the head and laughing. He didn't know what was going on.

Try 1 u will love it here is a picture of the 6 point that he just shot at 10 yards,he didn't even know we were there.