PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover carnage.

flyboy1294
10-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Seems like I'm hitting every snag possible. Finally got engine in, finally got exhaust put together finally got jets installed.

Then, when I tried to adjust the valves, yet another problem rears its ugly head. The previous owner used a pipe wrench to tighten the valve caps. Because of this, the caps were not only weakened, but WAY too tight.

Anyway, I got two loose. Attached is what happened to the 3rd cap. Sadly, the 4th isn't much better.

Does anyone have any idea how to get these off? I know they get stripped, but this is a bit more extreme :eek2:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Photo0143.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Photo0145.jpg

IMSROLL450R
10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
If it breaks I have a cover ill ship ya pretty reasonable....

flyboy1294
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
You've got a PM.

CJM
10-04-2010, 07:27 PM
grab the actual outer part of the cap with a channel lock. should work.

If not you could always use a brass punch.

IMSROLL450R
10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
You've got a PM.

Replied. If u get em out ill just throw some caps in an envelope n ship em if u give me your address. Let me know what happens.

flyboy1294
10-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I'll let you guys know. I guess I'm going to take the cover off and put it in a vice, then try to get a pipe wrench around the caps. Doesn't really matter if I destroy them at this point.

just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a cap this FUBAR'd before? :scary:

10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Seems like I'm hitting every snag possible. Finally got engine in, finally got exhaust put together finally got jets installed.

Then, when I tried to adjust the valves, yet another problem rears its ugly head. The previous owner used a pipe wrench to tighten the valve caps. Because of this, the caps were not only weakened, but WAY too tight.

Anyway, I got two loose. Attached is what happened to the 3rd cap. Sadly, the 4th isn't much better.

Does anyone have any idea how to get these off? I know they get stripped, but this is a bit more extreme :eek2:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Photo0143.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Photo0145.jpg

WTF HAPPEN ?!!!

supraloud84
10-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Im at the same point with mine now. I just snug them up when i put them in but a guess the expansion and contraction of the metal got the best of me. I got 2 of them off and the other 2 just want to strip. Im not looking forward to getting them off of there. I just put this valve cover on at the beginning of the season. i hope i dont need to do it again.lol

IMSROLL450R
10-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I'll let you guys know. I guess I'm going to take the cover off and put it in a vice, then try to get a pipe wrench around the caps. Doesn't really matter if I destroy them at this point.

PM box is full. Let me know dude hope you can get them off. I have lots of caps....

4reeds
10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I found that when you put your socket or wrench which ever you use.Instead of constan pressure on it,give the end of the wrench acouple of good taps with a hammer and they come right off. Stripped two before I thought of it.Alittle slow I guess.lol

NacsMXer
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 4reeds
I found that when you put your socket or wrench which ever you use.Instead of constan pressure on it,give the end of the wrench acouple of good taps with a hammer and they come right off. Stripped two before I thought of it.Alittle slow I guess.lol

Yep, this is a dirty little secret I learned myself as well. When I install the caps I always put oil on the threads. Then I take a big 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet and a 24mm impact socket and tighten the caps ever so gently. I choke up on the ratchet as much as possible while tightening (basically holding the ratchet at the very top).

But even though I barely tighten them, they are always somewhat tight to get off next time. So what I do is I take my very same 1/2 drive ratchet/socket combo and place it on the caps like i'm about to loosen it. I then take a small brass hammer and start tapping on the end of my ratchet. As you are tapping, the caps gradually loosen up and come off very easily.

The tapping from the hammer is almost like putting a small impact wrench on the cap, and removes it without chewing the cap up.

bkb88
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Yes this has happened to me before. I was using a crescent wrench and broke off a piece of the cap. Learned my lesson on that one and will never touch a project without the correct tool. That cap cost me $15 at the dealer!!

BlasterEaten250
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Possibly get vice grips around the outside edge?

flyboy1294
10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
PM box is full. Let me know dude hope you can get them off. I have lots of caps....

Inbox is cleaned out. Thanks man, the head is off as of 20 minutes ago. Unfortunately I stripped two headbolts getting, but was successful in removing them. :macho

__

And yes, to answer several questions, the previous owner used a pipe wrench to install them. They were WAY too tight.

Before what was pictured happened, I was trying to use a 12" ratchet and a hammer and heatgun to break things lose. (Tap, try to turn, tap, etc. Then tried heating and cooling it, but no luck.)
However, after 15 minutes of finessing the thing, it went ahead and stripped. Then I figure wth and pipe some vice grips on it, just trying to get the dang thing off. Barely applied any pressure and pop. Cap broke.

Anyway, I will be able to say if the cover is salvageable by this time Wednesday. I expect it will be.

hypersnyper6947
10-08-2010, 03:57 PM
heat around it,

flyboy1294
10-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Sorry for the slow reply. I was able to get all 4 caps off. The first two came off no problems. The 3rd one ( the one you see destroyed in the pictures) I removed with an industrial set of vice grips. The 4th one I had to cut a grove into the cap and knock it loose with a hammer and chisel.

Special thanks to IMSROLL450R, he really jumped in there and helped me out.

IMSROLL450R
10-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Sorry for the slow reply. I was able to get all 4 caps off. The first two came off no problems. The 3rd one ( the one you see destroyed in the pictures) I removed with an industrial set of vice grips. The 4th one I had to cut a grove into the cap and knock it loose with a hammer and chisel.

Special thanks to IMSROLL450R, he really jumped in there and helped me out.

Bolts should be there Tuesday or Wednesday coming usps.

flyboy1294
10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Bolts should be there Tuesday or Wednesday coming usps.

Alright man, I'll let you know.