PDA

View Full Version : will 20 x 10 -8 kenda scorpions fit on rear?

yophilly
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Thinking of ordering a new pair of rear tires for one of the kids' bikes, but it looks a little tight. They will be mounted on oem steel wheels. I currently have the 20 x 7 -8 scorpions, but they seem a little small. I'm trying to get as much ground clearance as possible, as well as soften the ride with a taller tire. BTW, it's a 1999 Suzuki LT80, basically all stock.

Thanks, YO

LT80
10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I understand that tires vary a lil but how would going to a 20" tire from a 20" tire improve height?
I've never been a fan of wide tires on a LT80.

yophilly
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
the variance in diameter is exactly my question, and I don't want to order tires that won't fit. Just hoping someone on this forum has done it already....to save some possible aggravation and wasted $$$$. Thanks for the response LT....

LT80
10-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I doubt tires will vary more than 1/2 inch. (1/4" more clearance).
Maybe look into a 22 inch tire.

yophilly
10-06-2010, 07:33 AM
****UPDATE*****

I went on Kenda's website and looked up the exact specs of the Scorpions:
O.D. Width
20 x 7 - 8 18.9" 6.82"

20 X 10-8 20.12" 9.18"

So, it looks like the 10" wide tire is 1.22" taller total (.61" diameter) and 2.36" wider (1.18" on each side). I think mounting it on a stock steel wheel may gain me some more height and minimize the width issue. I have read LT's posts regarding cracked cases with wide tires and I think I'm pushing my luck a little. But I'm a bit of a risk taker and I already did a case swap on a bike I built to sell...(and it wasn't too bad)....So one more question.....If the tires hit the exhaust can I massage it a little for clearance or are there baffles in the very end of the silencer???

Sorry for the long post but I think the members will find this helpful.

YO

LT80
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
So you'll have 1/2" more clearance plus a lil from the stock wheels.
That enough for what your wanting?

Pipe: to be honest, I've never chopped a pipe up to see exactly how the baffles are. :(

Maybe get 10" wheels and razors. :)

hasbeenttduner
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by LT80
Maybe get 10" wheels and razors. :)

There you go. For this he could cut out/groove the middle rib a little on a razor cross front to get a good xxxtall rear lt80 tire.
Used ltr450 stock fronts or Quadcross fronts also may fill this desire.

yophilly
11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
So I got the scorpions all mounted up and they work great. Definitely the tallest tire that can fit with the heel guards still in place, and they clear the exhaust without flipping the wheels or using spacers. The 20 X 10 -8 is quite a bit taller than the 20 X 7 -8 that I now have on the front of the bike. This size has a taller knobby than the smaller sizes also (bonus!). I rode saturday with my daughters and we all had a blast. With the tire pressure set at 3 psi it was definitely a smoother, more comfortable ride.

So all-in-all, two thumbs up. Low in cost,good traction,more ground clearance, no tire clearance problems, and Dad's back isn't nearly as sore after bouncing around on the back of an 80cc kids quad all day!

Ride on! YO

hawaiianbasshed
11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
edit: didn't see the last post that they're already on :) post up some pix please :D

there are a few options for tires that will work and are LIGHT enough for a mini to actually run I have CST 20" fronts on my sons LT80 trail rims and on back they would do good imo, they're light, and tho they have a round profile they have a knobby pattern similar to a turf tamer (we have those on back on the trail rims)

here's a shot of the CST 20" fronts maybe look into a taller front as well like a 21 or 22" btw, these are gonna fit the stock steel wheels as they're 8" rim tires ;) those are snow hog 18"s on the side and turf tamers on the back 18x9.5"

ground clearance with this set is well over a soda can, even out back iirc... have the track tires on now so can't just go outside and measure 19x6x10 holeshot MX and 18x6.5 snow pigs are on it atm...