PDA

View Full Version : k10 is selling his crate trike

89trx250r
10-04-2010, 02:55 AM
oh man i was browsing ebay and first thing i see when i search for 250r is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Honda-ATC-250R-NOS-parts-OEM-crate-USED-/110593078762?pt=ATVs&hash=item19bfdc75ea

17,600.00 so far :0

TLR-Online
10-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Wow, i thought he would never sell that!

honda350r
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
It might not sell if his reserve is not met.

pretty neat though.

TLR-Online
10-04-2010, 08:57 PM
20K with 6 days left!

red88r
10-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Just seen that again in the latest issue of DirtWheels. I would love to have a TRX like that.

CorvetteZ06
10-04-2010, 09:20 PM
amazing

atv fan 28
10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Wonder how much a TRX would go for, if it was still in a crate?

norcalduner
10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Anybody know what was the msrp on those atc's back then ?

Rich250RRacer
10-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by norcalduner
Anybody know what was the msrp on those atc's back then ?

If I remember correctly, it was around $2298

Thumpin440ex
10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Holy chit. So this is for a complete trike?? The auction mentions PARTS.. But it is all the parts to assemble the trick? I can't believe it has that kinda bids and $$ on it.. Must be a very desired, collectible piece..

JohnBeton
10-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
Wonder how much a TRX would go for, if it was still in a crate?
I wonder how much a '86 or '87 KXT250 Tecate trike in a crate would go :eek2:

woodsracer144
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
89 TRX is what i would like to see, then a like 69 US 90, the ones with the HUGE floaty tires!

250rPRIDE
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
i think that a atc is worth more than the trx.. they are just way harder to find i guess

woodsracer144
10-06-2010, 12:04 AM
i wonder is a Air Cooled one would check in more then the 85 86?

89trx250r
10-06-2010, 02:27 AM
35,200 dollars this is getting to ubsurd prices :0

Black Sheep
10-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
35,200 dollars this is getting to ubsurd prices :0

you think that is bad it was as high as 75,000 but the bid must have been cancled. Whats worse...at 75,000 it still did not meet the reserve price.

It's actually pretty sad. This ATC will never see the light of day outside the crate. All it has done over the last 25 years is change hands for the sake of the ulmighty buck. greed, pride, and envy all at their worst.

If I had that thing the first thing i would do is take it out of the crate and put it on display in my shop so people could at least enjoy looking at it.

Ruf Racing
10-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
If I had that thing the first thing i would do is take it out of the crate and put it on display, so people could at least enjoy looking at it.

It belongs in the Smithsonian. :D

250Renvy
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
If the reserve is set at higher than $75000 then this is a BS auction and it's not trying to be sold, just possibly appraised.

IMO all it does is show people you have an item worth stealing - its the times we live in. Especially with background pictures of other machines.

There is a very small fraction of the population that would actually come through and pay the auction price once finished.

Based on the number of bidders, you can tell that they are just trying to see what the reserve is and just like the guy who bid $75000 then retracted it, that's all they would do, you would never see actual cash from them.

troybilt
10-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I guess if I was a collector of "things" and I had 75k+ to spend it probably wouldn't be on a crate 250r. more like a 63 split window vette or something... The crate atc is like a painting. you only get to look at it and show it off to other people that actually know what it is.

You throw a Pablo Picasso in front of me and I wouldn't have a clue until someone told me what it is. We Ooo and Ahhh about it cause we are that small select people that know what it is, but not alot of us "types" are running around with an over abundance amount of cash.

That bike should be kept by K10 who generally cares about the value of the bike or sold to American Honda.

Personally, that crate bike would take up space. I would want to ride it or asemble it but couldn't and I'd only get to show it off on a couple of forums to those like us that really appreciate it, once in awhile, but once that is done then what?

woodsracer144
10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
troy i totally agree with you and i agree with you 250renvy also!

this is total BS!

norcalduner
10-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Haha why do I feel that if I were to take this out of the crate and assemble it, its value would drop considerably.

troybilt
10-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Because it would... reminds me of trading cards. I used to collect cards when I was little kid and my mom bought me the 89 Score Football set with Aikman, Sanders, Smith, etc... rookies... but I was not allowed to open the set. Or even take the plastic wrapper off the box, mom said it would be worth more with the plastic wrapper on it... so there you go a 12 yr old has got a box of valuble cards in a box that I never got to look at. ...talk about a depressing Christmas present... now today that I'm older and wiser I appreciate the set now, that's never been opened from 1989..

...BUT regarding that ATC, I'd be like a little kid and I would want to assemble it and ride it!! hahaha!!!

Its a sweet find forsure, I wonder how many other quads/atc's etc are out there just waiting to be discovered. I'd love to find an old Tiger 500 behind a barn or something!! now that would be cool...

Conant19
10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Its up to 36 thousand now still climbin

steve250r
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Awesome- I remember getting the '89 Score set when I was younger as well. Still have it in the box too.

woodsracer144
10-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I'd love to find an old Tiger 500 behind a barn or something!! now that would be cool...

i second that...

hawaiiysr
10-08-2010, 03:42 AM
i still have unopened boxes of TOPS baseball bubble gum packs.

troybilt
10-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Do yourself a favor and read the questions and answers sections on that listing... they are hilarious!!! :D :D

..especially the one about the stripper... I know, just go check it out... still cracking up about it.

speedfreek
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Why is it listed as used if it has never been assembled?

atvmxr
10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by speedfreek
Why is it listed as used if it has never been assembled?

because of the 3 wheeler ban. no new ATCs allowed to be sold after 86. that was why the dealerships literally destroyed their inventory of 86 ATCs when the 3 wheeler ban went into effect. and why this is really such a rare and incredible piece of history. it is completely and totally illegal for this thing to be in existence....

or at least after seeing your question multiple times that was the answer I came up with...

slamdak8782
10-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I personally feel that my set of 89 tops are going to be opened by me soon because they have been sitting in my attic for the past 21 years so screw it Id have more fun than the money is worth and that trike would be my winter project if it were here right now. Next step would be blasting across the fields and probably shortly followed by rollong it over on myself as i used to do on my atc 110. I only had it for a about a week but it was awesome. unfortunately dad said it was to dangerous. But to me it added to the fun never knowing when youd get to roll again. Ive never liked seeing old awesome stuff in museums. Case in point my trip to the US Air Force museum in Wright Patterson in Ohio. I remember seeing SR71 and thinking damn Id love to take that baby for a spin. So anyways Id rather be out riding the piss out of it like it was meant to be used. What good is a trike in a box. Dumbest thing ever what a waste. You only live once. Live it while you can.

mxduner
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
because of the 3 wheeler ban. no new ATCs allowed to be sold after 86. that was why the dealerships literally destroyed their inventory of 86 ATCs when the 3 wheeler ban went into effect. and why this is really such a rare and incredible piece of history. it is completely and totally illegal for this thing to be in existence....

or at least after seeing your question multiple times that was the answer I came up with... yea he answered that in the q & a section the same way. again those are a good read, as stated above.

this is the same reason, i have a feeling someone is gonna get involved and block the sale. Just my gut feeling. I have to believe american honda has there entourage of lawyers watching this happen.

Rich250RRacer
10-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
yea he answered that in the q & a section the same way. again those are a good read, as stated above.

this is the same reason, i have a feeling someone is gonna get involved and block the sale. Just my gut feeling. I have to believe american honda has there entourage of lawyers watching this happen.

He's a private owner and I don't believe there was any law ever passed stating an individual couldn't sell a three-wheeler. I think there could be a potential liability case if someone put it together and got hurt riding it though.

Black Sheep
10-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr

WRONG!!! but nice try.

3 wheelers were not "banned" in the 80's. There was a concent decree act that was an agreement between the 5 manufactures at the time that they would not sell new three wheelers for a period of ten years. Any other manufacturer was allowed to make three wheelers if they so chose to.
After 10 years the agreement was over. Several manufactures agreed to a new "ATV action plan" that effectivy continued the concent decree act of 1988. Interestingly enough Honda was not one of them.
Up untill 2009 any manufacture that did not agree to the ATV action plan could make a new three wheeler, and even the ones who did sign it could if they gave a 3-6 month notice in writing.
In 2009 the wonderful chinese manufactures decide it was time for a new three wheeler. what they made was a piss poor design kids trike and that is when the C.P.S.C. piggybacked legislation banning 3wheelers in a bill that was about lead paint. ( it was one paragrah lost in hundreds of pages dealing with lead paint.)
However, this only banned "production" 3wheelers untill industry standards could be made.

The listing for the crate 250R as "used" is becuase it has changed hands many times over the years. Once it left the dealership it became "used" whether it was ridden or not.

mxduner
10-10-2010, 10:58 AM
does anyone know where i can find the history behind this machine? i looked around 3ww but i am not a member, so i don't think i have search privileges

woodsracer144
10-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
WRONG!!! but nice try.

3 wheelers were not "banned" in the 80's. There was a concent decree act that was an agreement between the 5 manufactures at the time that they would not sell new three wheelers for a period of ten years. Any other manufacturer was allowed to make three wheelers if they so chose to.
After 10 years the agreement was over. Several manufactures agreed to a new "ATV action plan" that effectivy continued the concent decree act of 1988. Interestingly enough Honda was not one of them.
Up untill 2009 any manufacture that did not agree to the ATV action plan could make a new three wheeler, and even the ones who did sign it could if they gave a 3-6 month notice in writing.
In 2009 the wonderful chinese manufactures decide it was time for a new three wheeler. what they made was a piss poor design kids trike and that is when the C.P.S.C. piggybacked legislation banning 3wheelers in a bill that was about lead paint. ( it was one paragrah lost in hundreds of pages dealing with lead paint.)
However, this only banned "production" 3wheelers untill industry standards could be made.

The listing for the crate 250R as "used" is becuase it has changed hands many times over the years. Once it left the dealership it became "used" whether it was ridden or not.

thank you so much for posing this stuff i didnt want to, as he said it wasnt banned, TPC sells a New ATC450r

theres a link to their stuff... http://www.tpctrikes.com/

SRH
10-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
thank you so much for posing this stuff i didnt want to, as he said it wasnt banned, TPC sells a New ATC450r

theres a link to their stuff... http://www.tpctrikes.com/

black sheep is the owner of tpc lmao

honda350r
10-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
It might not sell if his reserve is not met.

pretty neat though.

Wow who'd of thunked ?

mxduner
10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
So it didn't sell? it went back down to 44k and reserve not met. anyone surprised?

fastrnrik
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
It was over 50K before I thought?

Just a question, not trying to be sarcastic, but 44K isn't enough?

mxduner
10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
It was over 50K before I thought?

Just a question, not trying to be sarcastic, but 44K isn't enough? it was over 50k but there must have been a bid retracted. and the reserve, i think, was at 45k.

Fear250r
10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Hey guys, late night argument, please, do tell, if this atc had gas and oil, would it run after all these years?

I already know, but my girl wants to argue....help a brotha out!!

JohnBeton
10-13-2010, 03:39 AM
it depends in which shape the seals are. After + 20 years they probably are kind of bad, but it could also be they are preserved quite well.

Last year I bought a complete NOS ATC250R engine from a trike rescued from a garage-fire back in '86. The back of the trike was bad, but the front-end looked brand new.
I didn't believe it was NOS, but after inspection and cleaning up it turned out it had never ran before, just a little dusty from sitting + 20 years in the garage.
Well, it still had the original oil in, and the seals look perfect.
I didn't run the engine yet, and for now I'm not planning to do that because I have other engines available. But even I am wondering if it would just run if I bolt it in :p

rsss396
10-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Fear250r
Hey guys, late night argument, please, do tell, if this atc had gas and oil, would it run after all these years?

I already know, but my girl wants to argue....help a brotha out!!

Yes it will,
we have a couple of 86 motors that were taken out of the 3 wheelers in 86 that sat on a shelf until a couple years ago.
Only thing we found was some of the coolant was still left in the water pump and kind of gummed up.
The topends were not used since a 330 and 310 kits were put on them but besides the water pump flush nothing else was changed.

trx250racer
11-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Here we go again..... good luck Andy!!!!!

BCTRX
11-14-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crated-NOS-1986-Honda-ATC-250R-Complete-PARTS-ONLY-Vintage-OEM-Hondaline-/110775289109?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cab8c515

ah665
11-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Wow. That is amazing that there is an ATC 250R still in a crate. A TRX would be so awesome too. Either way, the current and future owner of that are very lucky.

k10seibel
11-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Lest any confusion.... There is only one crated ATC 250R. Made a listing error and hope to get traffic from other my "other auctions". Hope to just let this ride without having to start all over again.
-Andy

danhung11
11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
You are famous Andy... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFCVG8GbHnk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

honda400ex2003
11-17-2011, 10:44 PM
sorry to hear you have to get rid of it :( man that is just amazing. no words can really describe how i feel after reading that description and seeing those pictures. Im not a real big fan of the trikes but wow it still amazing. I wish i could get my hands on a 87 trx250r, old style 400ex, and a 450r all in crates still.

:D

steve

Gapper
11-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Best of luck to you!

2-330s
11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
dammit andy! why didn't you tell me you had a black and purple spree! is that for sale? lol sorry to see you letting this rare piece move to a new home. i know how much you like it.

sangheraent
11-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I think this is ATV history right here, Its the first time a stock bike is going for high dollar.
I think it would be cool to see a collector ATV market. but we only have like 10 models where there are tons of different car models.

I wonder when the first mint shape car was auctioned off at high dollar.

k10seibel
11-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the condolences and well wishes, guys!

Its the first time a stock bike is going for high dollar.

Second rather......It ran up to just over $50K last year in Oct, but ended after the many retractions at $44,600. I highly doubt it'll get anywhere close the second time here. It's hard to catch as much attention and excitement the second go round. Really though, there have been many low hour original bikes up for auction over the years. Not just mine....Not too many in the crate I guess though.....
Gotta move on with life and pull the nose up here. Family first. Hope to keep the rest of my Rs, but I might be listing more after the outcome of this trike.
Thanks again, guys!