PDA

View Full Version : grinding header welds

trxex
02-07-2003, 01:44 PM
i am thinking about grinding the welds on my stock headpipe to increase airflow a bit .does this weaken the pipe in any way? have uni air filter and mod snorkel

dariusld
02-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Some people are going to say "no" , but obviously it does. But I have had mine ground down for over a year and no problem and I doubt there will be.

TRXEX2
02-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by trxex
i am thinking about grinding the welds on my stock headpipe to increase airflow a bit .does this weaken the pipe in any way? have uni air filter and mod snorkel best bet, leave well enough alone, your looking for trouble

trx400ex
02-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by TRXEX2
best bet, leave well enough alone, your looking for trouble
lmao your kidding right? i dont think you know what welds hes talking about.....really it doesnt weaken the pipe anyway that matters...i mean thats one of the last things that will ever break on a quad...

quadgod440ex
02-09-2003, 12:33 PM
ive herd of this before can you guys tell me exactly what your talking about like what welds and what this actually does for a quad ??

Sparks425Ex
02-09-2003, 12:47 PM
If you take your header pipe off the jug you will see that there are welds down in the header pipe. They can be 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch tall. All ppl do is grind them down so that the air will flow smoother and not make so much resistance.

It will weaking the pipe. When ever you take out somthing it deff takes away from its duribility. But in this case it isn;t going to weaken it enough for anyone to ever havea problem with it.

And if everyone left well enough alone then no one would have modded quads and this site would be boring as can be with everyone talking about their stock quads. Quads are made to be modded. If more performance can come outta them then we should do it.

quadgod440ex
02-09-2003, 12:50 PM
hey nacs are you racing rausch creek march 2nd?

JOEX
02-09-2003, 04:43 PM
here are some pics here...
http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37901&highlight=header+welds

Joe