PDA

View Full Version : indiana

notsolow400ex
10-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey all I live in monticello indiana Im looking for people and places in my area who ride and have a place to ride. I also wanna see what we can do to get it legal in indiana so if anyone is interested or has tried and has imformation about it please let me know.

ATV Chic
10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Idk what you are wanting to get legal in indiana, but there are certain counties here where you can register your quad with the bmv and ride it on the roads. We ride in attica at the Badlands. Only person I know of on here that has their own land to ride on is derekhonda.

notsolow400ex
10-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I wanna be able to ride on the road i didnt think you could ride on the road anywhere in indiana. Its my understanding you can ride beside and cross over just like snowmobiles and i also heard you can ride on gravel roads....and i do plan on going to the badlands.

3400ben
10-03-2010, 06:43 PM
It will never happen state wide in Indiana. Atvs and roads don't Mix. If you want to work on an project try to open a trail system in your area. Talk to landowners in your area.

notsolow400ex
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
It will never happen state wide in Indiana. Atvs and roads don't Mix.

why do you say that? you can get a street legal dirtbike! as long as you abide by laws and have the proper equipment on your atv. how would it be any different?

3400ben
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
You are right, i misspoke you can make them street legal. I don't think most people are going to spend the money to do it.

jesshamner
10-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Its legal to ride on the road in several counties in our state. You have to register your OHV with the Indiana DNR and in some counties you need to register with the county as well. In clark county, the registration doesn't cost anything. I can ride in clark, scott, and jefferson counties. The only drawback is that I can only ride on county roads and cross state roads.

danthrop
10-04-2010, 05:52 AM
does anyone know where to find the laws on making a quad street legal? i live in tippecanoe county and checked the bmv site and couldnt find anything about it? i had heard awhile back about a guy on myspace or something who was selling kits and everything to get a plate and registration for it but turned out to be a scam. anyone got anything?

jesshamner
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
The problem is that Indiana considers everything with 4 wheels to be the same. So you would need every safety feature that is required for autos, including some form of seatbelts. Anything with 2 or 3 wheels can be licensed as a motorcycle.

ATV Chic
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by danthrop
does anyone know where to find the laws on making a quad street legal? i live in tippecanoe county and checked the bmv site and couldnt find anything about it? i had heard awhile back about a guy on myspace or something who was selling kits and everything to get a plate and registration for it but turned out to be a scam. anyone got anything?

It's my understanding that you can ride on the road there in tippecanoe county. From what I understand, there's a large ethnic (mexican) group of enthusiasts who ride on the street quite often in Lafayette on 350 S lol :D That's all I got lol

i.e.

example (http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=48480&id=100001322167651&ref=fbx_album)

notsolow400ex
10-04-2010, 06:33 PM
im in white county.....where can you find county laws?

jesshamner
10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Start here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/4278.htm

Then follow the link on the page or this one (Its boring but necessary to know the laws): http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title14/ar16/ch1.html

I can't find anything for your county specifically. You could call the sherriff's office anonymously and ask about the laws. Chances are though, that you could call and talk to 10 different officers and get 10 different answers. I might be able to get some info about getting a campaign to legalize ohv registration for your county. A friend of mine got it passed for Clark County which was a very very anti-atv county.

tclapp
10-05-2010, 07:06 AM
to the orginal poster, I am really good friends with the owner of Tall Timbers Marina and his daughter and I was acutally just up there about two weeks ago and he and I were talking about ATV's on the road.... he said no its not legal on the roads but he has never had a problem with any of the locals as long as you drive like you've got some sense on the roads....

I got this legailized on the roads in Clark county, as jess said, I started a petition and had over 700 signatures, and once I had the signitures I submitted them to the commissioners and asked to be put on the agenda for the next commissioners meeting, once I got into the meeting I had to give a presentation as to why we as a community felt it should be legal to operate ATV's on the road. I presented them with a powerpoint presentation and submitted the number of counties in the state which was legal to operate an atv. I also pointed out that we were asking to ride the ATVs on county roads not asking to be able to drive into city limits and children of any age were allowed to operate mopeds in the city without so much as a drivers liscens. After the orginal meeting I was asked to speak again at the commissioners meeting this time with the sheriff of the county being present and this time I was asked a series of questions as to what guidelines I felt there should be and I set up a meeting with the sheriff to draft rules and regulations outside that of normal traffic laws. Once this was approved by both the sheriff and commissioners board it was put on a one year probation and if things went ok with minimal problems it would be fully approved....after one year everything went off without a hitch and we have been legal to operate on the roads in clark county since 2005..... You must register your quad with the DNR and get the indiana DNR tags which allows you to operate on the roads...

if you guys have any more questions feel free to ask I'd be glad to help you guys get something rolling

Balaz_73*00
10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ATV Chic
It's my understanding that you can ride on the road there in tippecanoe county. From what I understand, there's a large ethnic (mexican) group of enthusiasts who ride on the street quite often in Lafayette on 350 S lol :D That's all I got lol

i.e.

example (http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=48480&id=100001322167651&ref=fbx_album)

Nope, you can't ride them on the road here. I live right off of 350S....and that is not true.

notsolow400ex
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
thanks for all the help. im gonna do my best to get it done here.

TORO1968
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Nope, you can't ride them on the road here. I live right off of 350S....and that is not true.

I believe she was joking... :p