PDA

View Full Version : october dirtwheels. fuel injected banshee

jcs003
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
i liked the article. i see it working on an R without much work. seems they could do a set-up for an R too. cost is another story.

what do you guys think? do the benefits constitute the cost?

troybilt
10-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Your thinking like I am! Gigot racing, been mentioned on here before.... its on my atv bucket list.

http://gigotracing.com/

jcs003
10-03-2010, 08:37 AM
troy, this is what i found.

http://www.bigboremotors.com/engine-building.html

troybilt
10-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
troy, this is what i found.

http://www.bigboremotors.com/engine-building.html

Yes that's John Stallworth, (Wichita), Gigot makes or used to make the EFI. Even says in the article. Gigots are out of Garden City.

jcs003
10-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Yes that's John Stallworth, (Wichita), Gigot makes or used to make the EFI. Even says in the article. Gigots are out of Garden City.

yes, i was just posting the pics and info for those who dont have the article. 90+ hp is lovely:devil:

troybilt
10-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I hear ya. I wonder what a 250r with carb vs. EFI would be like. Just a heads up comparison. The MX guys and 4 strokers don't like EFI all that much. You can pick up LTR's EFI's all day long on ebay. Same with Can Am. Wonder why?

I did some searching awhile back and Gigot posted about on another site about a battery-less option. It was interesting. That would be the way to go. I realize the CRF's now are battery-less...

jcs003
10-03-2010, 09:01 AM
my buddies kfx450 is EFI and has a lil battery mounted up front at the bottom of the frame. funny thing is he has thousands in his quad and just the extra weight and such allows me to whoop on him through the woods, even though he is putting up big hp numbers.

C41Xracer
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
i would like to see the cost on a 250r set up for sure

rsss396
10-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I have had efi on my arctic cat sleds since 95 and love them.
But Arctic cat engineers have struggled with them over the years making them work great from the hole shot, corner to corner and 2 mile + wide open runs.
Not to mention temps from -30 to 40 degrees plus and elevations from sea level to 6000 plus feet
They have been battery-less since 97 and are super reliable hardware wise but the changing pipes, airboxs, compression or porting can wreck havoc on the fuel needs.
They make aftermarket box's that can change the fuel needs but many times there is allot of trial and error getting them dialed in.

A EFI kit that has not been tuned to a specific motor/pipe package would be way more work than the average 250R guy could handle.
But if somebody like ESR would come up with a tuned package and the rider never changed any of the components then I think it would be a pretty big seller for those that never want jet in any temp or elevation.

derby
10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by rsss396
I have had efi on my arctic cat sleds since 95 and love them.
But Arctic cat engineers have struggled with them over the years making them work great from the hole shot, corner to corner and 2 mile + wide open runs.
Not to mention temps from -30 to 40 degrees plus and elevations from sea level to 6000 plus feet
They have been battery-less since 97 and are super reliable hardware wise but the changing pipes, airboxs, compression or porting can wreck havoc on the fuel needs.
They make aftermarket box's that can change the fuel needs but many times there is allot of trial and error getting them dialed in.

A EFI kit that has not been tuned to a specific motor/pipe package would be way more work than the average 250R guy could handle.
But if somebody like ESR would come up with a tuned package and the rider never changed any of the components then I think it would be a pretty big seller for those that never want jet in any temp or elevation.

John setup a few 2 stroke motors with efi a few years ago. I spoke with him about it at little sahara and he quoted me $3500 but you send him the motor and he sets it up in a frame and rides it to get it right. May see a 6-8hp gain on a 350 pro-x he claimed. I am glad I kept my $3500. No telling what the cost would be now that was 10 years ago.

rsss396
10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
The one off stuff will cost you but I will guess that if someone was to do a bunch of them tuned to a certain motor package then the price would be much cheaper.
Arctic cat use to charge about 500.00 for the EFI option over carbs.

derby
10-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by rsss396
The one off stuff will cost you but I will guess that if someone was to do a bunch of them tuned to a certain motor package then the price would be much cheaper.
Arctic cat use to charge about 500.00 for the EFI option over carbs.

To be honest John probably did the EFI not for the hp gains but for tunning purposes. He is a pikes peak racer and that was his contribution to the atv world along with his efi setups. The pikes peak race is only about 13 miles long but there is almost a 5,000 foot change in elevation in that distance. Do you think he had time to rejet the bike half way up. The efi system he uses was less affected by the thin air and altitude changes as compared to a carb setup.

mxduner
10-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I will keep my carb and jets.jmo. Had them on some sleds, but seen many of them failed on the side of the trails. and i don't seem like they gain much on the sleds either.