PDA

View Full Version : Walsh and laeger?

Yfz245
10-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I was wondering if there was any difference between a laeger narrow 250r frame and a walsh hybrid frame I'm am just curious because walsh don't offer the narrow frame for the 250r or at least the website does show it. Does anybody know?

Lasher
10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I see that Walsh is changin their site around and nothing comes up for the 250R...but you can always call them for the answers. But here is what I know...

Walsh does offer the narrow frame 250R. I have one (from 02) and it just came back from getting a check up (passed with flying colors after all these years).

I have the Walsh narrow 205R chassis and Walsh crf chassis in my garage right now.

Differences...
Rear swingarm/linkage is different. My 02 250R (not sure about newer ones) is based on the 91 CR500 while the 09 CRF is based on the 02 CRF linkage. The CRF uses trx450 parts (axle/brakes etc) while the 250R uses....250R stuff. You can get the CRF chassis using 250R stuff...

The front end is basically the same between the two chassis.

Now between Laeger and Walsh....they are close but different. I remember reading that Laeger helped Walsh when he was designing the chassis years ago. I always heard that Walsh took the best of the Lobo chassis and Laeger chassis and made is own.

Call them up and ask...great people and will answer all your questions.

10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I, too, have heard that early on Walsh borrowed some ideas from Laeger. Whether it was from Mark Laeger directly or just from his chassis I'm not sure.

I'm not sure about the idea of Walsh taking the best from the Laeger and Lobo chassis, though. The Lobo is really a beast of its own.

Yfz245
10-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks I appreciate y'all help I was just looking at other options besides a pro trax because the price is a little out of my budget for now

Lasher
10-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Price....

If you spend the money on any of the three...

Roll Design Lobo chassis
Laeger T-pin
Walsh

it is money well spent.

My vote goes to Walsh, not from experience on all three...but availablitly and customer service. My dealings with Walsh has been A+ and going from a modded 89 chassis to the Walsh chassis has been night and day.

Yfz245
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Really well I have a walsh front end on my yfz and it is the best front end I have ever rode on but I bought a laeger narrow cr500 link frame and I need a front end for it and I found a +4 walsh front end and wanted to try it if it will work

Lasher
10-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Not 100% sure since I have not run the Laeger chassis, but from my understanding, any of the big three need to be run as a complete unit. You may be able to "bolt" a Walsh front end to the Laeger (not clue if the arms are the same width at mounting points) but will it handle like it was designed?

Laeger had the T-pin front end, which included the steering stem and a-arms. You could not take a T-pin set up and bolt it to a stock frame...it needed the Laeger chassis.

Just like the Roll Design swingarm for the Lobo chassis is made for the Lobo chassis.

IMHO...when you get to the big three chassis...stick with their parts. All three are top of the line and should be run as a complete unit. If you have the frame, run the Laeger swingarm and Laeger T-pin that were designed for that frame. I highly doubt you will regret it.

steve250r
10-05-2010, 06:33 AM
A Laeger T-Pin can be run on a stock frame or any aftermarket frame that is designed as a stock replacement.

SilverLake250R
10-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
Just like the Roll Design swingarm for the Lobo chassis is made for the Lobo chassis.

Actually the Lobo swingarm is the only part of a Lobo that can be run on a stock chassis...with a different shock.

Lasher
10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Interesting...

I always thought that the Lobo swingarm and Laeger T-pin were designed for their chassis only....

Live and learn...

Yfz245
10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Ok thanks for yalls help I'll keep looking for a +4 protrax so everything will match and work properly thanks

rayman375
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm sure you can run different arms on the Laeger frame. There is a Laeger narrow frame on this forum for sale that has Gibson arms on it. You would probably need to run a stock style steering stem too.

figair
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Yfz245
Ok thanks for yalls help I'll keep looking for a +4 protrax so everything will match and work properly thanks

I am in the same boat!! But I gave up looking for a protrax. It would be great to have it. But, good luck finding parts for it when something goes.. It sucks, But what ya gonns do?

Yfz245
10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
True personally I've never rode a pro trax or any aftermarket framed 250r so I really don't know how well they work or if one is any better than the other so I'm just going on what I'm told lol

Lasher
10-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I raced a 89 frame with Laeger parts (stock travel) and TCS shocks. Last summer I picked up a Walsh 250R with custom axis shocks.

Night and day difference. Kick myself for not doing it years ago. I never thought it would be that much of a difference.

Yfz245
10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah I have alway been told nothing works as good as a aftermarket frame for the 250r

10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Yfz245
Yeah I have alway been told nothing works as good as a aftermarket frame for the 250r

that's not necessarily always true. proper setup is more important than individual components. Tim Farr and Mark Baldwin were winning a lot of races on STOCK Honda frames, well after everyone else switched to aftermarket stuff. and believe me, they could've used whatever frame they wanted.

Yfz245
10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Really I did not know that I thought everybody that could afford to was using aftermarket frames. Was they using them for mx? Tt? Or both?

doc-bones
10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I have had at least 2 of each WALSH, ROLL and Laeger.
I can tell you from experience that, that is exact order i rate them from 1st to third. With that being said i can also tell you that you can not go wrong with any of them and any other set-up is second rate in comparison. All three give a tremendous ride and i will also tell you since switching to 4 strokes...... The only competion is the same. I have a narrow chassis Laeger Cr500 link YFZ450 that is the only thing that comes close. I have a fully built long travel 450R and have had long travel LTR`s and YFZ`s and they can not compare in ride!!!
I am sure there are a few on here that still want argue that fact, usually because they never rode one..... But i am sure that there are many pros that switched due to sponsor ship and still miss the ride of the aforementioned above big three
The only reason to not buy a TRX or YFZ WALSH or LAEGER for recreational riding is racing rules, sponsorship etc. One more thing is T-pin set-up although very strong turn like crap, spindle set-ups are much better!
IMHO
Docbones

You are on a different planet if you feel a properly set-up TRX250R wide frame with 250R linkage is even in the same league.
Being a 250r nut that i was....... I guarantee that the best set-up stock framed TRX250R is one machine i would never ride again as they ride like crap after being spoiled for many years on rides light years ahead of them like WALSH RACECRAFT, ROLL DESIGN LOBO and LAEGER. Nothing compares to a narrow chassis with CR500 or No-Linkage set-ups...............
Stock 250R`s are horrible in comparison that i guarantee!!!!!!

10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by doc-bones
I have had at least 2 of each WALSH, ROLL and Laeger.
I can tell you from experience that, that is exact order i rate them from 1st to third. With that being said i can also tell you that you can not go wrong with any of them and any other set-up is second rate in comparison. All three give a tremendous ride and i will also tell you since switching to 4 strokes...... The only competion is the same. I have a narrow chassis Laeger Cr500 link YFZ450 that is the only thing that comes close. I have a fully built long travel 450R and have had long travel LTR`s and YFZ`s and they can not compare in ride!!!
I am sure there are a few on here that still want argue that fact, usually because they never rode one..... But i am sure that there are many pros that switched due to sponsor ship and still miss the ride of the aforementioned above big three
The only reason to not buy a TRX or YFZ WALSH or LAEGER for recreational riding is racing rules, sponsorship etc. One more thing is T-pin set-up although very strong turn like crap, spindle set-ups are much better!
IMHO
Docbones

You are on a different planet if you feel a properly set-up TRX250R wide frame with 250R linkage is even in the same league.
Being a 250r nut that i was....... I guarantee that the best set-up stock framed TRX250R is one machine i would never ride again as they ride like crap after being spoiled for many years on rides light years ahead of them like WALSH RACECRAFT, ROLL DESIGN LOBO and LAEGER. Nothing compares to a narrow chassis with CR500 or No-Linkage set-ups...............
Stock 250R`s are horrible in comparison that i guarantee!!!!!!

Several TOP pro's switched back to a wide front frame after running the narrow fronts. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. They stuck with the superior CR500 link rear end, but more than a few went back to a wide front end. A friend of mine that worked as a mechanic for Curtis Sparks in the heyday of the 250R told me that the narrow frames definitely were nice, but they couldn't keep the front end from diving and rolling over. He said they tried to compensate some with the shock and other suspension settings but in turn that threw off other areas of the quad's handling. And this guy is no Joe Shmoe. He was around the best in the business. Period.

And believe me, the altered geometry frames are bad as hell. I have a Lobo, a Laeger narrow CR500, and a Walsh narrow CR500. They're sweet as hell. I'm just trying to bring a different perspective to the table.

Maybe a couple of this forum's members that were on the national scene 10-15 years ago will jump on here and clear some of these things up. (Dustin)

dustinshuler
10-13-2010, 07:41 AM
OK Ill chime in, I to have had Rolls and Leagers no Walshes and I to agree that they are by far the three best that money can buy. With that being said,If you check up on your history you will find that what (8686) has said is true. Tim Farr did run stk frames long after anyone else with a t-pin front end on it. After that he switched to leager stk replacement frames for a couple years before going to hybrids. He could have for sure had anything he wanted. It just goes to show if suspension is set up right any of them will work.I know that im old and out of shape now but I have results that show I used to be fast and Ill say that you give me a nice stk frame R with a pro-trax with ZPS PEPs and a Leager swingarm with a Stk rear shock revalved and sprung by Baldwin and I am sure it will be just as plush as any aftermarket chassis. My 2 cents!