PDA

View Full Version : This is embarrassing but someone please help

99400esex
10-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Can someone please tell me how to hook up the arm correctly to the clutch cable. I had to buy a new clutch lifter pin and I installed it earlier today but I still cannot get the cable to hook up to the arm the right way, when I hook the cable up there is no tension on the clutch lever on the bars whatsoever and its really frustrating me.

rubbersdown
10-02-2010, 03:21 PM
i am not 100% sure as I have never taken the shaft out without taking the cover off but I think you may have to take the cover off, then you turn the shaft a bit counter clockwise from its set position which will let the lifter fit inside of the lil slot and then put the cove back on.

99400esex
10-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok Ill try that but yeah the cover is already off so thats not a problem. any other advice will be appreciated because I plan on getting this thing running early tomorrow morning. Thanks guys

rubbersdown
10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
oh yah if the covers off just rotate the shaft counterclockwise so that the open part is facing forward and put the cover on and the spring will twist it back around into the right position grabbing the lifter.

NacsMXer
10-02-2010, 05:28 PM
It also helps to pull the lifter out enough so that the notch on the shaft can grab it as you turn the clutch arm. If the lifter is too far in, it will not engage the slot in the shaft.

CJM
10-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I spent 20 mins getting it on, you gotta line up the lifter to the arm. I started with it in one spot, with the opening facing so that when I would turn it the right way it would engage.

Took me literally like 10-15x before i got it, so dont feel so bad.

togup
10-02-2010, 08:19 PM
If you turn it too much the little spring will come undone and youll have to reset it so be careful. My favorite ex mod is the xr clutch case because you dont loose your oil when working on the clutch

NacsMXer
10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by togup
If you turn it too much the little spring will come undone and youll have to reset it so be careful. My favorite ex mod is the xr clutch case because you dont loose your oil when working on the clutch

what do you plug the kicker hole with?...that would be a nice mod.

togup
10-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I took a stainless fender washer trimmed it to fit the hole then tig welded a bolt to it made a gasket put the washer in the recess on the outside then used a lock nut and a washer to secure it on the inside.

NacsMXer
10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks, you have any pics you can share?

99400esex
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Well I got the arm hooked up just like you guys were telling me to do it, but now I am thinking that it is a problem with the cable adjustment. Is this possible?

CJM
10-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
Well I got the arm hooked up just like you guys were telling me to do it, but now I am thinking that it is a problem with the cable adjustment. Is this possible?

Might be, cable could be snagged or no good. Might also not be on there exactly right too, make sure of that before anything.

Whats it actually doing?

togup
10-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Thanks, you have any pics you can share?

sorry for the hijack

togup
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
one more

99400esex
10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Might be, cable could be snagged or no good. Might also not be on there exactly right too, make sure of that before anything.

Whats it actually doing?

Well there is just no pull on the clutch lever, I mean yeah it has a tiny little bit but it doesn't feel like there is nearly enough to get the clutch to engage.

CJM
10-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Well there is just no pull on the clutch lever, I mean yeah it has a tiny little bit but it doesn't feel like there is nearly enough to get the clutch to engage.

Have you adjusted the clutch cable? Try adjusting it, if you still have issues replace the cable with a honda oem one.

99400esex
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Have you adjusted the clutch cable? Try adjusting it, if you still have issues replace the cable with a honda oem one.

Yea I tried adjusting it but cant seem to get anywhere, im gonna get a new cable and go from there. Quad wont start either after the hotcam install. This is the first time I attempted to start it and it wont fire, im thinking its valves. An other suggestions?

CJM
10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Did you remove the decompressor and spring when you put in the hotcam?

Check for basics: fuel and spark.

99400esex
10-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Did you remove the decompressor and spring when you put in the hotcam?

Check for basics: fuel and spark.

Yeah I removed them man. its got fuel and spark too

CJM
10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Is it turning over with enough oomph? perhaps try putting jumper cables on it and see?

Could also be jetting off, dirty carb, etc.

Is the gas good, friends of mine stored thiers with some stabil in it and the dang things wouldnt run much unless you were on throttle-fresh gas and no issues.

99400esex
10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Is it turning over with enough oomph? perhaps try putting jumper cables on it and see?

Could also be jetting off, dirty carb, etc.

Is the gas good, friends of mine stored thiers with some stabil in it and the dang things wouldnt run much unless you were on throttle-fresh gas and no issues.

Oh yeah, it definitely has enough oomph and yes we charged it and even tried to start it with the cables on it. Gas is good as well. I dunno what else to think of

CJM
10-05-2010, 08:28 PM
pull the airbox off and spray some carb cleaner in it, if it turns over you know you got a fuel issue.

Thats where I would begin at this point.

99400esex
10-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
pull the airbox off and spray some carb cleaner in it, if it turns over you know you got a fuel issue.

Thats where I would begin at this point.

Tried that man and still nothing, what next?

CJM
10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Tried that man and still nothing, what next?
If it wont run on carb clean than it may not be getting spark.

Take your plug wire off, take a phillips head screw driver and stuff it in there. Then take the screwdriver and lay it on metal and crank it over-you will see it arch if its getting spark.

If it gets spark, its getting fuel, then you have have the timing off or the valves arent adjusted right.

Does it just keep cranking and not even turn over for a second or what?

99400esex
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If it wont run on carb clean than it may not be getting spark.

Take your plug wire off, take a phillips head screw driver and stuff it in there. Then take the screwdriver and lay it on metal and crank it over-you will see it arch if its getting spark.

If it gets spark, its getting fuel, then you have have the timing off or the valves arent adjusted right.

Does it just keep cranking and not even turn over for a second or what?

It just keeps cranking and cranking and cranking and nothing.:confused:

CJM
10-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Hmm... Something doesnt add up, like I said you gotta verify its getting fuel and spark. Without those 2 it wont run period.

Have you tried changing the plug yet?

99400esex
10-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Hmm... Something doesnt add up, like I said you gotta verify its getting fuel and spark. Without those 2 it wont run period.

Have you tried changing the plug yet?

yeah brand new plug is in it

CJM
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Hmm, you did spray the carb cleaner directly into the carb itself?

It sounds like its not getting fuel. im running out of ideas besides the carb jetting being off is my last guess-but if everything is totally the same as before besides a cam it should turn over.

Check your timing, cam gear marks should line up with the top of the cyl and the cam lobes should be facing down.

99400esex
10-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Hmm, you did spray the carb cleaner directly into the carb itself?

It sounds like its not getting fuel.

no I didnt spray any directly into the carb, where on the carb should I spray into?

CJM
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
no I didnt spray any directly into the carb, where on the carb should I spray into?

Remove the airbox so you can get to it, spray the carb cleaner directly into the carb opening itself. Could also remove the air cleaner and do it that way but its harder to spray in.

it fires up its not getting gas. The gas valve is on right, have you tried the reserve switch.

99400esex
10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Remove the airbox so you can get to it, spray the carb cleaner directly into the carb opening itself.

it fires up its not getting gas. The valve is on right, have you tried the reserve switch.

As in starting it with reserve on? no I havent tried that

CJM
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM
As in starting it with reserve on? no I havent tried that

Yea, try that. I thought I had an issue too with it not starting once. Turned out for the actual fuel selection area to work it has to have a certain amount of gas in it, switched to reserve and it fired right up.

99400esex
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Ok cool I will try that too. Thanks again man. Ill let ya know how it goes

CJM
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
no problem, good luck with it.