PDA

View Full Version : 400ex making weird noise...please help

philly1212
10-02-2010, 08:26 AM
i have a 2001 400ex that is completely stock except for a k&n air filter. I have had the bike for almost a year and have had no problems until lately it started making this squeaking sound. It will only happen after ive been riding for at least an hour and a half then when i really get on it in mostly 3rd and 4th it makes a squeaking sound only when i am on the gas accelerating. Squeaking to me means not enough lubrication so i checked the oil the next day after it squeaked for the first time and it was low. I used 10/40 valvoline atv oil but when i noticed it burning a little i switched to 20/40 valvoline motorcyle oil and it seems to burn a little less but it still makes that squeak sound after about an hour and a half of riding. It doesnt smoke at startup or when riding so im thinking the rings and valve seals should be ok but i dont know. Im really stumpped here. I am about to tear the whole engine apart because i know something is not right and further riding will only worsen the problem. Someone told me it could be my clutch because when it makes the squeak sound i am going through the gears engaging the clutch, but like i said i dont know. If anyone could help id greatly appreciate it.

4reeds
10-05-2010, 09:00 AM
a clutch can get alittle noisy when it needs replaced,thats pretty easy project.How olds the quad.You might replace it anyways.I used the tusk heavy duty springs kit and loved it.I didn't realize how much power was lost with the old one. Could you post a video of it squeaking?

woodsracer882
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM
To help with the cause of any future problems ditch the k&n

rooster300ex
10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer882
To help with the cause of any future problems ditch the k&n

lol

brian400ex
06-05-2013, 06:12 AM
did you figure out your problem? mine is doing the same thing once it warms up and only when moving with clutch out.