PDA

View Full Version : Should i go with High Compression or NO????

BUBBA Livesay
10-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Hey guys im plannin on throwin a new top end in my bike come winter time. Im goin to throw on new oem cylinder and i have been debating on whether just throwin a regular oem piston back in or to go with a high compression piston for next year?

I ride mostly woods and race xc races and plan on hittin a few more of the Gncc's next year.

My bike is a 06 Trx450er with a Motoexperts head (Port & Polish) and i have a stg 2 Hot cam in the bike as well...
If i run the high compression piston i will have to run race gas i assume? And does it really make that much of a difference??!! Is there really more power or just a empty wallet for me??
I ve never had a bike with one so i dont know lol Anyone have any PROS or CONS about this? Im open to suggestions or thoughts on the topic!

Thanks,
Brent

4reeds
10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I love the highcompression on my 416.Depends on how high you go whether or not you need race gas.I originally had 11:1.Went 12:1 and ran 110.Well worth the money.My 450 is about to get the upgrade.

BUBBA Livesay
10-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Yea im kinda thinkin with the head work and cam it should be pretty sweet if i go with the high compression?? Well hopefully it will be!! lol The only thing that ll be tough is keeping the race gas around and hidden so my dad doesnt run it in the zero turn mower on accident haha!!

eastside 400
10-02-2010, 01:34 PM
you can safely run up to 12.5:1 on 93 pump, after that you need to atleast mix your gas... If you dont care about running race gas then go with a 14:1, the honda motors love compression and reliability isnt hurt from it

Baileygunns
10-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Depending on elevation and cams you can run 13:1 on pump gas... But if you are willing to run the race gas do what ^ he said and go 14:1.

BUBBA Livesay
10-02-2010, 05:03 PM
thanks for the input guys!

300racer
10-02-2010, 07:00 PM
hey brent i was thinking maybe we could go 50-50 on a 55 gal drum of race gas there is a place in breese that sell's it. it's $50 for 5 gal but said he would cut a good deal on a drum of it.

BUBBA Livesay
10-03-2010, 08:49 AM
We could do that mikey, that way we could go ride whenever we want lol plus it would prolly cut the cost down at least a dollar or two a gallon so we wouldnt really be payin anymore for it than we were payin for regular gas a few summers ago when it was $4 a gallon for 87 octane!! lol

DnB_racing
10-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I absolutely love the way the high compression feels!! the only problem you will have is everything you do will be faster, you have to become a better rider, I had to gear mine differently so I could still do wheelies at 15mph instead of 20mph
how much did your head cost and what did they do? im looking at getting one of my heads redone and im still considering what to do with it

BUBBA Livesay
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I bought the quad with the head already on it but he told me it was just a motoxperts port and polish and it is deffinately noticeable! I looked on their website and i think you can get one done for around $400???
ask 300racer about it. He liked the power alot!

Im thinkin with a higher compression and some race gas should really make it mean... Guess we will see once it gets to cold to ride out, then il tear it down and throw one in it!