PDA

View Full Version : how do I check my oil pump for proper pressure please read !!

arsenal35
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM
I just rebuilt my whole valve train(valves seats seals guides cam springs keepers ) on my quad I had 25 easy minutes on it and the valves are chattering again. its not the normal 400 tap. So I took my caps off and check my my valves again exhaust side was a little loose tightened it up good to go. So I still have this overly loud ticking problem. When I had the caps off I started it up and it really didnt look like it was getting the proper oil to the top end like it should be. So then I took the clutch cover off and was cranking it. The pump seems like it was sucking lightly but no air was coming out I would think with the pump having to push oil the up through the engine and up to the oil cooler. It should of had some pressure behind it can any one enlighten me on these oil pumps at all it would be appreciated

togup
10-01-2010, 06:33 PM
i doubt its the pump ,you say you only worked on the head , was it making the noise before the head work? Could be just the wrong valve adjustment. What is your valve lash ?

arsenal35
10-01-2010, 07:02 PM
it was making the noise before the head work. Thats why I tore it apart to begin with my rockers where trashed and as far as the valve lash goes its set to hot cam specs .005 intake and .006 exhaust

arsenal35
10-01-2010, 07:04 PM
when I have my caps off the top where I adjust my valves if I start my quad up should I have oil shooting or spraying out

togup
10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
no you should only see oil flowing

NacsMXer
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Upload a video of the ticking sound on Youtube, and post it here. I did the same thing when I had a stage 3 Hotcam and thought I had excessive ticking noise. Turns out the noise is normal for a Hotcam.

This could be the case here...