PDA

View Full Version : keep LRD adj exhaust or change

mkt
10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
hi, had my 250r for about 8 yrs now and the only pipe i had was the lrd adj. Stock jug but been ported pretty well from a gentlemen by the name of jerry hall in phx (awsome guy). Anyways runs on straight race gas with 39mm carb. I like to fart around the track sometimes and then show off at the hills in the dunes. Is there an all around pipe? looking at maybe the esr 5 or 9? Or just keep what i have it's in excellent shape.

10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I will suggest the TRX9 or TRX11 from ESR with some reservation. It has been my experience the TRX9 is an awesome pipe for 310CC-370CC engines, showing a very good HP output on the larger displacements. On smaller displacement engines like a 250R, I have had better results from some of the older pipes like Paul Turner High Rev pipe, CT Mid-High Rev pipe, and the TRX5…

Carlos.

riggsracin
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
if u want to sale the lrd let me kn ow

JTRtrx250r
10-01-2010, 10:17 PM
been wondering the same question myself, and another about Jerry Hall...

Is he the "HPR" guy? name sounds familiar , and I got HPR on my cyl...if I remember right, it was Hall Performance Racing...or somethin'. Totally possible Im way off too:D

fx4pitrone
10-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes, HPR is Jerry Hall's... he does really good stuff.. gets some crazy power out of quadzilla motors too... def. know his stuff!

mkt
10-02-2010, 08:25 AM
yeah, the dude is a magician, i also added the 4mm long rod in it. not trying to toot my own horn but i just couldn't believe the power of this motor and i raced several 310 kits out there and it did very very well but i dont know with technologies these days if it worth changing.

JTRtrx250r
10-02-2010, 05:52 PM
thanks guys

wasn't trying to HJ the thread, most of this lately is a refresher for me

been pretty happy w/ my HPR top end, makes decent usable power and been real reliable for me

lately Ive been wondering about the pipe, dont have alot of experiance w/ it, but where I had it set didn't make me real excited...and that's coming from a DG

the LRD seems like it might be a little more time comsuming trying to get it dialed in, who knows...maybe I'll get lucky

10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I have used HRP in the past with good results; Jerry is a good builder!

Seriously; pipe tuning is very difficult without access to a Dyno, mostly hit-n-miss unless the difference is great enough to feel while riding. Most performance gains will be incremental, small amounts of HP here and there will add up to a significant improvement.

Try to find a local shop with a Dyno, take 2-3 of your favorite pipes and be prepared to port, flow & match your pipes, engine, carb jetting to your set up. This is really the only way to see how each pipe behaves and dial in the one that best fits your performance goal.

Carlos.

Ruf Racing
10-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by mkt
hi, had my 250r for about 8 yrs now and the only pipe i had was the lrd adj. Stock jug but been ported pretty well from a gentlemen by the name of jerry hall in phx (awsome guy). Anyways runs on straight race gas with 39mm carb. I like to fart around the track sometimes and then show off at the hills in the dunes. Is there an all around pipe? looking at maybe the esr 5 or 9? Or just keep what i have it's in excellent shape.

Your LRD is a good pipe. I like my ESR 5. Switching over may be like apples and oranges.

mkt
10-03-2010, 08:39 AM
thanks ruf racing and thanks carlos, your right now i remember when i had this jug ported he wanted to know what pipe i was using and he wanted my carb and few others things. i guess i'm like the other guy just trying to find that sweet spot on the pipe is a pain especially when you go thru tubes of rtv so it doesnt leak lol

Honda 250r 001
10-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by mkt
thanks ruf racing and thanks carlos, your right now i remember when i had this jug ported he wanted to know what pipe i was using and he wanted my carb and few others things. i guess i'm like the other guy just trying to find that sweet spot on the pipe is a pain especially when you go thru tubes of rtv so it doesnt leak lol

Find that sweet spot, and weld the adjustible part up! no more leaks!

10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Now if we could all have our very own Dyno’s sitting in our garage, think how much more tinkering we would be doing, not to mention the increased performance.

Carlos.

atvmxr
10-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
Find that sweet spot, and weld the adjustible part up! no more leaks!

yeah, good luck ever getting the pipe off or motor out of the frame! ;)

I like my LRD, but its the way old Team A pipe, I tried a "new" LRD Team B back in 95 or 96 - didnt really notice any difference and went back to the Team A pipe. I could be wrong, but I believe that is still they same pipe the offer these days.

I have heard that Sparks MX is a good all around pipe for a 250 as well.

trx250r 88
10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
i have had a few different pipes on my r.the sparks mx and the lrd adjust. worked best for me.