PDA

View Full Version : rm, yz, kx and etc. ignitions

jcs003
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
do any of the other manufacturers 250cc ignitions work with our trx?

its highway robbery what thr cr set-ups sell for. just seeking alternatives.

Honda 250r 001
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
your best bet would be to look on ebay and see if any look even close, then buy it and try it out. ITs not going to be simple bolt on. your gonna have to build an adaptor plate. But if your gonna go that far, i assume any igniton would bolt on thats not 02 or newer...

mxduner
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
do any of the other manufacturers 250cc ignitions work with our trx?

its highway robbery what thr cr set-ups sell for. just seeking alternatives. 1 thing i'm just guessing, the crank taper might change a bunch between the makes. I wonder if it has been tried before.

10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
It’s going to cost you to go the CR route, even the 1-2 other manufactures that still make (or made) CR type or similar ignition systems, charge a hefty price.

Buy new not used; not worth taking the chance on electrical systems..

Then again why listen to me, like Rodney Dangerfield use to say: “no respect”…

Carlos.
:D

jcs003
10-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
1 thing i'm just guessing, the crank taper might change a bunch between the makes. I wonder if it has been tried before.

i would assume there are standards for the tapers as you stated. but it has alot to do with ignition curves/timing.

im just after an economical alternative to the weak stock ignition. i will go out on a limb and say most of the ignitions are baseically the same. i just dont want to run into a situation like woodsracer ran into. i dont really want to put a top end on the line until i can find out more about the differences in manufacturers systems.

jcs003
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by acecarlos
It’s going to cost you to go the CR route, even the 1-2 other manufactures that still make (or made) CR type or similar ignition systems, charge a hefty price.

Buy new not used; not worth taking the chance on electrical systems..

Then again why listen to me, like Rodney Dangerfield use to say: “no respect”…

Carlos.
:D

i cant have respect for a pompus fool who comes on here and plays the role of a salesman for BDT motorsports and claims to have no official affiliation. BDT can do as other advertisers of this site and pay for an ad. you whore yourself out and are misrepersenting BDT with your daily arguments and bad attitude.

10-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I don’t speak for BDT Motorsports, I voice my opinion based on what I know and have experienced. So the real issue with you finally comes out…my mentioning BDT Motorsports is a thorn in your side, does not matter if the information presented is valid and of value.

Your one out of 2-3 negative voices; the many others that have expressed positive yet private agreement on my posts, outweigh the negative response you dish out many times over.

If you have an issue with me misrepresenting BDTM, contact them and tell them what you think, otherwise; accept the fact that if I post on any topic that utilizes BDTM’s knowledge & experience, I will give credit as is due…

Carlos.

Honda 250r 001
10-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by jcs003

im just after an economical alternative to the weak stock ignition.

Why dont you just get a nology coil then??? makes spark as strong as a CR ignition with no other mods.

10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Good suggestion…

Are the Nology Coils or Hot Wires plug and play”? They are supposed to put out a higher voltage, hotter spark and allow you to leave your plug at a higher gap setting. I have also seen the Nology coil work well with Iridium Plugs…

I while back the rumor was Nology Coils produced a “flat” spot in the ignition curve, maybe just rumors or I am sure fixed by now…
Also, look into the “Profire coils”, not sure if they supply them for off-road vehicles…

Carlos.

woodsracer144
11-03-2010, 03:57 PM
JCS. I'll admit it that it takes alot of work. my top end was fine, (thank god) i pulled it out today to start working on it again cause i needed a break from it. just like you i didnt want to spend the $$$ on the set up that i feel is way over priced. I've gotten closer to making it run. I'll make a vid of it here shortly and post it for you all on my thread for ya. best of luck

latheboy
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
JCS-

I have a 1998 CR ignition that i used for quite a while on my 350PV. I was having trouble with it running hot. So, as an experiment I put my stock ignition back in. I didnt see any change in engine temps. I actually didnt notice any difference in the attitude of the engine. Maybe it started better, and maybe it reved quicker. Maybe. It has so much power, its hard to tell. Point is, if you want to try out a 1998 CR 250 ignition, let me know. $200 shipped to your door with an esr adapter plate.

I know its the older analog ignition, but it will perform better than your stock ignition. Noone has been able to tell me for sure (via dyno sheets) that is is any worse than the digital ignions.

1promodfan
11-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Well I'll agree that they are over priced. Now I got mine off ebay for $130 shipped. Then all I had to buy was the adapter from ESR. But even if I had to pay full price, its WELL worth the money.

And to Carlos, keep doing as you are bro. If you have someone that you're happy with, I don't have any problems with you mentioning their name. Its hard to find a good builder thats dependable these days.

As a matter of fact I talked with someone today that gave me a lot of advise, and as soon as I get some work done from them I'll be promoting their name.