PDA

View Full Version : magnetic drain plug

nwi45
09-30-2010, 09:33 PM
where can i find a magnetic drain plug for an 05? all i can find is a tm designs but 06+ only.

Baileygunns
10-01-2010, 05:45 AM
The only thing it will pick up is crank bearings, everything else is aluminum... By the time your bearing start to show up on the magnet it’s too late. The best way to keep track of what's going on inside there is cutting open the filter and looking at what's inside.

baja74vw
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
It might be mostly aluminum, but the cylinder sleeves and rings are still steel. These still wear and create the very small particles that a magnetic drain plug catch.

eastside 400
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
i wouldnt suggest using the magnetic plugs, ive seen a bunch of them fail, the magnet comes out of the bolt and then that goes into the engine. The filter will take care of the very minimal amount of debris from the piston/cylinder, under normal conditions you really shouldnt have anything shaving off that would cause a problem to anything

baja74vw
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i wouldnt suggest using the magnetic plugs, ive seen a bunch of them fail, the magnet comes out of the bolt and then that goes into the engine.

Wow, that is a junk magnetic drain plug if the magnet comes out. There are good quality ones out there.