PDA

View Full Version : Decompressor replacement...

mebcop
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm finally sick of push starting my ds and I am gonna have to dig deeper into the decompressor issue.

BTW, I've replaced the battery, and even on a booster it doesn't turn over great.

It was suggested that my decompressor wasn't doing it's job, and I see on the parts diagrams that the parts are all listed seperately, but all the sites say that you can only get it by buying the whole exhaust cam...

Do I really have to buy the whole exhaust cam to check if the decompressor is my issue???

Thanx for the help guys!

manuzl_
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
one day i wanted to start my quad and the engine sound bad, like battery was dead. i think that the battery was dead but after one day having problems i dissarmed it and saw that the descompressor doesn't working good. i replace it with a new one and the quad start inmediatly, i dont know why but.. that was my problem

mebcop
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by manuzl_
one day i wanted to start my quad and the engine sound bad, like battery was dead. i think that the battery was dead but after one day having problems i dissarmed it and saw that the descompressor doesn't working good. i replace it with a new one and the quad start inmediatly, i dont know why but.. that was my problem

Im a tad confused... disarmed what? replaced the cam? replaced the decompressor spring and arm?

TNT
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM
The decompressor has a centrifiugal weight you need to check and see if it moves freely and returns to it's starting position, if not you'll need to replace the camshaft that lifts it and is offset by a spring. It's dependant on the valve bucket sits above it and is independant of the valve below, and is operated by it and valve lash and should have a .0256-.0354 inch gap. So I doubt your decompressor issue itself which looks like is replaceable is the issue, maybe check it, more than likey your exhaust valve gap or cam shaft if anything. Pull it apart it will make sense when you see it.

It allows the exhaust valve to stay open little longer automatically and air to escape prior to the next compression stroke for starts.

I put together that post looking at a bad pic in the manual and reasoning, u may wanna call BCS or one of the motor builders that have more hands on experience with it....

DS1026
10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Just went through this with my quad. Sounds like the same problem. Call BCS and he should be able to get you just the decompressor.