PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on Aftermarket pipes......

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
I have seen so many posts about pipes, pipes, and pipes. I need to share my opinion on pipes now. :D

For the money that these companys are charging us for a pipe is insane. It has turned into a gimmick though-out the years. I have seen dyno after dyno and i belive that pipes are really a VERY minor improvment on HP. I mean where talking a couple horsepower..... I could see if you had a big bore kit, porting, and all the other ENGINE mods why u would need a pipe. But a stock quad with a new pipe is a waste of money. I mean think, its an exhuast pipe. Its AFTER the combustion. I think people in the Car world are also falling into this trap of "performance" exhuast. Well, i jsut had to get that out today. I am slighty poked about the relentless posts about pipes. If I'm wrong or screwed up, prove me wrong........

forum
02-07-2003, 11:20 AM
depends on the machine. Pipes do alot for any two stroke! i mean alot!. on a 400ex they do minamal. A slip on and some headpipe mods is all you really need. On a raptor a pipe does alot also.

wgbanks
02-07-2003, 11:30 AM
I will share a single thought on the matter. Let's use the "only a couple of HP" term. Let's assume that your quad has 35HP and your increasing it by 2HP. If you extrapolate that info and apply it to a car it is nearly the same as having a car with 350HP and increasing it by 20HP. I don't know one car guy that wouldn't spend $250 - $300, the cost of a good slip on for your quad, to get 20HP increase. It is a fact that when I put mt W/B E Series slip on pipe on my 400ex I was better able to beat my buddies 400Z that had always givin me a fit. HP cost money and a pipe was the first step into the money pit I call me bike. It is a never end battle to stay at the front. Spend the money and move on or just ride it like it is. IT IS ALL GOOD:)

Quadfather
02-07-2003, 11:40 AM
It's relative to what you're starting with. If you were adding 2-4 HP on a 250 hp machine, yes, it would be a waste. But we have 27 hp machines (stock), so 2-4 hp isn't really a waste. Some people like every little edge that they can get.

I had a Yoshi slip on, ground out header welds, and a K&N. Compared to a stock 400EX, there was quite a difference.

brian400ex
02-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Don't forget about the weight difference. Those stockers are heavy.

PHIL_B54
02-07-2003, 01:02 PM
i agree, when i decided on my wb R4 i basically said which one is the cheapest, i have very seldom (except DG) heard people complain about a pipe that they got, true some add more hp than other or put it in a different spot, but for extra money over my $200 pipe that big name pipe would cost, i bought a used edelbrock quicksilver. i also never liked the (insert pipe name)makes me so fast arguement that everyone always uses to answer questions about pipes. i like hard evidence
so basically my decision was if im going to love either pipe i get i might as well save some cash in the process.
i dont mean to flame or offend anyone, and i do appreciate the help everyone was when i decide on my pipe, but thats my $.02

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Wow, i thought i was going to get trashed out for this post. Thanks for the replys guys. I agree on 2 strokes that the capturing of the ultra sonic sound waves improves performance ALOT. Yes i agree stock is heavy. But.......I dont think there are ANY pipes that are stock sound and add performance. ALL pipes carr the SAME concept. Letting the maximum amount of exhuast flow with out flowing too much.
-Ben

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 01:49 PM
BTW here is a dyno for my quad. With the E sereies and then stock. Was it worth $400??? Can't you get some big bore kits for that money and REALLY have a fast quad?????

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 01:58 PM
im not flaming by no means. BUT, u mentioned about it not being tha timportant because its after the combustion. Well on ANY combustion engine, get the spent gasses out, is almost as important as getting gasses in. U have to allow the spent gasses to flow out properly for it to run right. Maybe someday try running yours without a tail piece and see how good it runs, lol. I never knew how importnat a silencer was until mine came loose on my R one day at a race. It was just flopping around back there, and i literally had to fan the clutch going down straightaways to get anykind of good power out of it. and 2-4 hp on anyhthing under even 40hp is ALOT!

Ex'r Marlin
02-07-2003, 04:27 PM
I too agree about your opinion of Aftermarket pipes. For the money on a stock atv is a joke.

For a slightly modified to a fully modified engine, definetly a must though. I found that going to a higher compression than stock may require the need of the aftermarket exhaust for proper exhaust flow, or the engine may bog under load.

My 2 cents... For a stock engine with just an aftermarket air filter and a jet kit... Or less than that for matter, no need for the expensive "loud" exhaust pipe... Not worth the gain in my opinion.

Teufel
02-07-2003, 04:29 PM
To get best results you have to have the aftermarket pipe attached to a motor that' s gonna make it work.
IMO :cool:

AtvMxRider
02-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
im not flaming by no means. BUT, u mentioned about it not being tha timportant because its after the combustion. Well on ANY combustion engine, get the spent gasses out, is almost as important as getting gasses in. U have to allow the spent gasses to flow out properly for it to run right. Maybe someday try running yours without a tail piece and see how good it runs, lol. I never knew how importnat a silencer was until mine came loose on my R one day at a race. It was just flopping around back there, and i literally had to fan the clutch going down straightaways to get anykind of good power out of it. and 2-4 hp on anyhthing under even 40hp is ALOT!

I agree with you Extremeracer. The more air you get in and the faster you get it out your ARE going to make more power. And 2Fast when you say you only get a minor improvemnet in performance.....any improvement is good when it adds power.

lilpoppy
02-07-2003, 06:39 PM
If you don't have a pipe that is allowing the exhaust to exit as quickly as possible then your engine is acctually using power to push the exhaust out as opposed to the exhaust sucking it out. I know this is how flowmasters work on trucks and I assume that the same concept is used on atv's. Basically the only people I have found that say the exhaust isn't worth the money are people that didn't buy a Sparks x-6 exhaust. Dyno's don't mean anything the seat of the pants test is the one that I go by.

02-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Teufel
To get best results you have to have the aftermarket pipe attached to a motor that' s gonna make it work.
IMO :cool:

I swapped out my aftermarket exhuast and put my stocker back on for hunting season so it would quiet it down....well it ran like crap and it MOST definitly lost power when i did this..

Teufel
02-08-2003, 10:45 AM
I am not saying that a pipe won't help on a stock motor, however it is not going to have as big of an impact as if it was on a modified motor. :huh

Steve-o 400EX
02-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Also jetting can make as big a difference as the pipe, if it is not jetted properly, you will not see all the hp that you could get out of it, actually, you can lose horsepower if it is not jetted properly.:chinese: