PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Weight For Aftermarket Shocks

wgbanks
02-07-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm looking for some real life experience. I weight 235'ish when sitting on my 400ex. I almost feel that a set of aftermarket shocks might be a waste. Will some good shocks make a difference for a robust rider such as I or will I just be overloading them? Will it make for a better ride? Probably not the most pressing question submited but I am looking do for some input. Thanks:ermm:

forum
02-07-2003, 11:13 AM
they will definately make the ride alot better. more so for you then the average guy. becasue a 400ex stock shocks are set up for someone 160 -200. An aftermarket shock company can build the shocks exactly for you!. Give Elka suspension a call.
450 655 4855

they can give you some price qoutes and answer all you questions. When you call expect to be greted in french. just say. " Hi I'm interested in some shocks for my 400ex" and she'll put you over to Yahn most likely.

I think Yahn is the best person i've ever talked to over the phone hen calling about parts. He's not pushy and sometimes he'll just call you back outa the blue wondering if you had any more questions or if he forgot to tell you somehting.

Pappy
02-07-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah what forum said....

im 225 and i will never run the stock pogo sticks again...lol i run elka and they are awesome:p

nuttynewt
02-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Yeah, you will notice a world of difference with aftermarket shocks. I weigh in about 250 and believe me, you will not bottom out nearly as much, if any, after you get shocks calibrated for you. When I first got mine, I caught myself over running corners because I didn't realize that I was riding so much faster than I was with my stockers. Shocks are probably the single best investment you can make. Elka makes some excellent shocks, and has superb customer service. I highly recommend them.

wgbanks
02-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess I am gonna have to get up off my wallet and get some shocks. Good info.

Ex'r Marlin
02-07-2003, 04:48 PM
To answer your question, No... I do not think you would be "overloading" your aftermarket shocks as long as you get the shocks set to your weight.:) But like "Forum" stated, it is always best to call and find out with the aftermarket shock of your choice first.

Note: I am a 215 pound rider and noticed a very noticeable difference with my aftermarket shocks over the stockers. Only problem now is... I will not go back to stock shocks!:D

nick23
02-07-2003, 05:02 PM
MARK BALDWIN BUILDS UR SHOCK TO UR WEIGHT...I WIEGH ABOUT LIKE 170 AND MY SHOCKS RIDE NICE...I GOT ON A GUY WHO WEIGHS 300 AND HIS QUAD RODE SO STIFF FOR ME..BUT I WATCH HIM RIDE IT AND IT IS SO SMOOTH

02-07-2003, 06:28 PM
u will see a bigger difference if u are a big guy goin from stock to aftermarket. stock are set up for a 180lb medium paced rider. if u weigh 180 they wont seem that bad but if ur a 230lb hard mx/xc rider u will notice a huge difference.

Ryan
02-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by nick23
MARK BALDWIN BUILDS UR SHOCK TO UR WEIGHT...I WIEGH ABOUT LIKE 170 AND MY SHOCKS RIDE NICE...I GOT ON A GUY WHO WEIGHS 300 AND HIS QUAD RODE SO STIFF FOR ME..BUT I WATCH HIM RIDE IT AND IT IS SO SMOOTH

Hey Nick.... How much is Baldwin paying you :huh You do enough advertising for them :o .

Anyways.... Your going to see a HUGE difference with the new shocks... Set them up right for your weight and you are set :D . I recomnend Elka's.

nick23
02-07-2003, 07:07 PM
U HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH SUPPORT I GOT FROM HIM MAN....IT IS AMAZING

wgbanks
02-07-2003, 09:54 PM
It all makes good sense. I knew that once again the forum would set me in the right direction. Only problem is I wind up spending more money. Maybe I should have taken up smokin crack...it might have been cheaper in the long run. LOL:confused2

Glamis400ex
02-07-2003, 10:05 PM
I got Works triple w/ rezzie and weigh 225. They aren't the best but work very well for the money, and I don't bottom them out either.

Glamis

racin 400
02-07-2003, 10:11 PM
PAPPY:i will never run the stock pogo sticks again.

Lmao.

02-08-2003, 07:18 AM
We have a member on her that weighs around 350,,,used to be around 500 lbs..he put aftermarket shocks on his 400 and had lots of good things to say.. they won't be a waste of money,,

DGR Designs
02-08-2003, 07:22 AM
i want elkas.....:( i hate pogo stick stockers

bongwater200
02-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by wgbanks
I'm looking for some real life experience. I weight 235'ish when sitting on my 400ex. I almost feel that a set of aftermarket shocks might be a waste. Will some good shocks make a difference for a robust rider such as I or will I just be overloading them? Will it make for a better ride? Probably not the most pressing question submited but I am looking do for some input. Thanks:ermm:

Talk to smith. He's a big guy and his suspension seems to work just fine.