PDA

View Full Version : Ice riding, (Lake) any tips? Have you done it?

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey guys. This month i am making a trip up to WI for a few days. I have a lake house up there and the lake is 10inches thick and has "clear" ice. There has been no snow up there so its a just a big ice rink. :D Anyway, I went on my river a few times and there was snow and i had a horrible time getting traction. Once i got going i could shift all the way up and get to about 50, maybe a lil more. But as soon as i turn or something the thing does a 360 and then im just spinnin um. If i had older tires I would use ice spikes. But there new black waters. I have hole shots on the front. Should I fill the front tires up and deflate the rear ones??? What less, or more air should i run in the tires to be able to opertate my quad on the ice better? I also have chains for the tires. I may use though. Not sure if they fit though, they came off a lawn tractor tire that has the same rim size. Thanks for any help. I'm thinking right now about pumping the front ones up a bunch and then running the rears nice and squishy. :D
-2FAST

JLanphear
02-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Hmmmm...I think it would be a lost cause without studs...I rode with RedRizza (on here) and another guy a couple weekends ago...they were running studs and it's amaizing how they hook up. Just like they were on pavement...I was shocked.

-Josh

DEAL
02-07-2003, 12:33 PM
the grips of blackwaters should be large enough so you can stick in a few studs without going past the grips and loosing air.

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 12:40 PM
How do the studs work? I thought about that option. The tread is VERY thick. I think I can put studs in without loosing air. Where can you buy them? Dont you have to take the tire OFF to screw them thought the back of the tire???? Please let me know where i can get some. Sounds like thats what iam going to do if that chains i have dont fit.......................

JLanphear
02-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Some Pics of the ice riding....

RedRizza

http://www.xtreememotorsports.com/SDice/SDic024.JPG

Our friend Ryan doing a stoppie

http://www.xtreememotorsports.com/SDice/SDic224.JPG

Me

http://www.xtreememotorsports.com/2_7_03/Josh1.jpg

RedRizza again

http://www.xtreememotorsports.com/SDice/SDic054.JPG

Me again

http://www.xtreememotorsports.com/2_7_03/Jan3103Josh04.jpg

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 12:44 PM
OMG. AWESOME!!!!!! I love endos and wheelies. Man thats some KICK arse riding there. I hope to get some to u as well. Ok, here is a link to some studs. Which length is good? http://www.mfgsupply.com/ATVStuds.html/mv_session_id=m3fDkbDs

I see how they work now also..... Thanks its jsut a matter of which ones now..........

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 12:52 PM
There kinda pricey, What SUPER small sheet metal screws??? I could load the tires up with a ton of those and the sheet metal screws i have, have a really good looking head un um.

JLanphear
02-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks...Those Klymax studs look cool....The guys I was riding with are running the other type of studs on that page and they seem good...I'm not sure of the lenght. Maybe RedRizza will comment.

-Josh

redrizza
02-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah, the little black ones were what I was running that weekend. It's fun. I don't know about puting them in a tire other than the really hard rubber chinshin's but, you can give it a shot. I have a feeling that after rippin around for a couple hrs. that you may find half your studs gone though. Good luck!

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm gonna buy a bunch and mess around and see what I can do. I saw the video on the cv site. WOW! AMAZING!!!!!!!!! You guys have been riding along time huh? Man, thats nice. I have broken 2 grab bars. I need to get a new one now or the exhuast pipe is going to suffer. Thanks for the help. NICE riding guys!

redrizza
02-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the props man. Hope you have fun on the ice!

TheX1992
02-07-2003, 01:23 PM
where in wisconsin are you going to? im from chippewa falls which is in the middle almost. your more than welcome to come chill here for few days, ill show ya the good ridin spots :cool:

mysticfalcon
02-07-2003, 01:24 PM
sweet pics guys. I think im gonna have to go try that this weekend. too bad no studs I'l just have to stick with doin donuts.

JLanphear
02-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by mysticfalcon
sweet pics guys. I think im gonna have to go try that this weekend. too bad no studs I'l just have to stick with doin donuts.

I'm not studded either...just have to find a spot with a layer of snow on it and you'll be all set :D.

Watch out for the drifts. :eek:

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 01:31 PM
I found that donuts where even hard to do. The quad did'nt want to move at all. STUD time :devil

Rip_Tear
02-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Get your self a sled JK :devil I can do over 110mph on my MXZ! :D Good luck with the studding the tires, I know it can get real boring, I would definately suggest having the studs in tires, and rims you dont care about.

flyin#5
02-07-2003, 05:01 PM
yeah where in wi are you going? its hard to get traction on ice but i dont think they will be glare anymore like they were a couple weeks ago. well deff. not up here anyways. if you keep spinning out its just becuase you probably arent used to handling on ice. its wierd but youll get used to it. you wont go very fast on ice but its fun messing around finding huge snowdrifts to try and go through.

DGR Designs
02-07-2003, 05:07 PM
studs rock. small sheetmetal ones might work but they will wear really fast. i have them in my bicycle tires for the winter.

BlazingYamahaYz
02-07-2003, 05:53 PM
do the studs work as well with quads as with bikes? i am planning on taking my bike(if it will fit IN the trailer), and i dont like the snow to begin with(slide too much)....with the studs, will i do better? i haev heard its like hooking up on pavement...thanks......i dont care if they wear fast, i am going to get a s hit load of them:scary:

DantheEXman
02-07-2003, 06:10 PM
I have a set of old warn stock tires and rims i want to put ics studs in... Will this work? Will i loose air? Thanks

300_14_racer
02-07-2003, 06:53 PM
the best ice traction that you can get that we do around here is you take snowmobile studs and put them in your tires they are sweet as ****!!!!

loganB
02-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Go for sheet metal screws i just put 500 in my razrs and they hook up like a mother. DantheExman it depends on how much lug is left if you lose enuf studs you will lose air i alwes put tire selent in my tires.:)

racin 400
02-07-2003, 07:36 PM
I gonna go do some lake riding tomorrow but no studs well i just gonna have to use small screws.

DantheEXman
02-07-2003, 07:50 PM
So.... If i have my stockers, i can get a set of 1/2 inch screws and 2 cans of tire sealant and ill be set? And the ones that happen to fall out or loose air i can pop some plugs in right? Thanks for ur help.

racin 400
02-07-2003, 07:56 PM
I have some screws thats has little screw thread and has larger tops that flare a lil fo i gonna try it.

racin 400
02-07-2003, 10:40 PM
O yeah i just checked our weather channel and it says it -9.Gonna put a lil extra ice on:D