PDA

View Full Version : 400ex engine build tutorial

rubbersdown
09-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Is there an engine build tutorial on here for a 400ex yet? I do not need one but am in the process of building my motor and figured id see if ppl are interested I can take step by step pics of the process and maybe a mod can make a sticky of it or somthin for ppl to use. there may already be one but if not do u think itd be worthwhile to do for ppl on here or should I not even bother?
The only thing I have done so far that I did not get pics of is install the crank itself. cases are still split and whole motor is apart still so id be starting from just about the beginning. let me know what yall think.
Oh and I do know what im doing, so it will be done right. Ive rebuilt TONS of 4 stroke motors and this is my 3rd 400ex motor and is my personal (wifes) motor.

honda400ex2003
09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
get nuts man! sounds like a decent write up to have around if needed. take lots of pics. steve

CJM
09-29-2010, 06:58 PM
It would be awesome!

I say you put it all into a word document or something and put it up for download, I know I would appreciate such a thing!

rubbersdown
09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
aight, I am going to assemble the whole bottom end tomorrow and the top end a day or so later probably. I will take lots of pics and write it up and post it all at once. If anyone can think of any particular areas I should show extra focus on let me know now and ill be sure to do it.
Its going to take me longer to write it up then it will to rebuild it so bare with me, will probably have it up sometime next week.

rubbersdown
09-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by CJM
It would be awesome!

I say you put it all into a word document or something and put it up for download, I know I would appreciate such a thing!

Not really sure how to make it a download, im not super tech savvy when it comes to stuff like that but I do know how to post pics so i can at least post it up on here any maybe itll be made a sticky or something.

CJM
09-29-2010, 07:32 PM
The problem with posting pictures here is your limited to a file size and actual picture size limits as well as how many pics per post. Even if you were to host them elsewhere it would take up alt of space. Places like photobucket also may block the pictures after many have viewed them.

The simplest of terms:
1. Open a word document
2. Start writing up everything
3. As you go along copy and paste each picture you want into the document.
4. Save it
5. Upload the file somewhere or send it to me or whomever volunteers and we/I can host it for ya and make a nice compressed zip file as well.

hellshot00
09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
This would be most definetly appreciated! but def. use the word document idea

IMSROLL450R
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Not really sure how to make it a download, im not super tech savvy when it comes to stuff like that but I do know how to post pics so i can at least post it up on here any maybe itll be made a sticky or something.

That's what id do. A word document maybe nice but it wouldn't be exclusive to this site as I and many others would want it to be so I say post away man!!!! Very interested...... hope you get that cylinder soon...

rubbersdown
09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
That's what id do. A word document maybe nice but it wouldn't be exclusive to this site as I and many others would want it to be so I say post away man!!!! Very interested...... hope you get that cylinder soon...
yah tracking said it will be here tomorrow so thats why I went to my shop (where my press is at) and put the new bearings and crank in today so that I could put the motor together at my house and take my time with the pics and stuff without worrying about packages being left at my door lol. I should have the cylinder, piston , gasket kit, timing chain and new valve springs all coming in tomorrow.

Tloc
09-30-2010, 08:53 PM
I really appreciate when peoples take the time to share their knowledge with others. It's really helpful when someone want to learn how to work on his own things.

Thanks!

MtnEX
09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
That would be a nice useful thread...

rubbersdown
09-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Got the bottom end 99% together today and took TONS of pics, have a pic of every step so far (i.e. installing tranny, sfhit forks, drum, linkage, clutch inner outer and hub, oil pump, main gears, flywheel and all the washers and what not and how they go in their respective places). Got all the top end stuff in the mail today so im hopefully going to be putting the cylinder and head on tomorrow and documenting that. Only thing I forgot is to order new gaskets for the clutch and stator cover :mad: so I ordered them today and will finish up the bottom end when they get here. Should be done next week for sure as long as the gaskets get here quick enough and then am going to post it all up at once so theres no interrupting posts in the middle of it. Anyone know the limit of length or pics that can be in one post? trying to plan out how to write this up when I do it. Also, it will be done in a new thread, not this one.