PDA

View Full Version : Rider size?

gorpracing
09-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Ok dads how big or old do you think your rider should be befor racing a raptor? Mine is 12yrs old and 70lbs. He is a class champion on Apex 70 and 90. He can ride the bike on the trails and practice track without issue and is getting faster. What do you think is a good measure to say he is ready for the race track? I am thinking of size of kid and size/weight of bike. Thanks

Hetrick300
10-06-2010, 08:08 AM
I got on a 250 when I was 11 and about 70 pounds and never faced an issue with bike size and weight as long as you ride within your ability until you get better.:macho

gorpracing
10-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks, I think when kids get on the track they may push them selves harder. Just a worried dad I guest.

Hetrick300
10-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Ya sometimes I think I get more worried than my dad lol!!!!

nordic quad
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Up here in Norway our kids start racing the stock 250cc class at age 10 both localy and at the national races.

Stein A

gorpracing
10-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Nordic quad, do you worry about the size and weight of the bike for a kid that size.

hwf-racing
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
My son is 9 and he has been practicing and just started racing the Raptor at one of our less competitive tracks. He's getting a good feel for the bigger bike. He has been working on his shift points and shifting off the bigger jumps to be in the right gear when he lands. He rides his Raptor a lot more aggresive than his Apex. However, we plan on him being in the mods next season then race the Raptor full time in 2012. Good luck Derek

Adams granddad
10-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I don't think age comes into it, it's more size and physical strength! Adam raced a 250 standard Raptor when he was 12, but he was probably about 4' 10" and weighed about 75 pounds, the bike was in control of him!
Last year we dropped the 250 and he just raced a Cobra shifter, which he could throw about without any problems. This year Adam turned 14 and had to move up to the 250 mods. Still only weighing about 85 pounds and a shade under 5', it's taken the full season for him to grow (now 5' 1") and gain full control and confidence, but I would still say he needs more upper body strength to be able to push the Raptor to it's limits...... Can't wait for next season!!

nordic quad
10-07-2010, 08:23 AM
The kids i have seen have no trouble with the Raptor as far as i have seen,the most competitive ones come from Apex 100s and once the get the shifting down and get used to 4-stroke powerband they fly.The less competitive ones or beginners uses speed govenor to begin with.Sondre is turning 9 next year and i plan on doing the same thing as hwf-racing and let Sondre Race the 250 Raptor in 2012.After racing Worcs your son should have the strenght and if he also has the size it should be no problem introducing him to the 250.IMO

Stein A

hwf-racing
10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Another thing that will help the smaller riders is to shave the seat down so the kids can have a lower center of gravity and be able to come off the seat in turns. Something I have been working with my son but he still wants to do it his way until our neighbor who races sponser cup gets on him LOL. Derek