PDA

View Full Version : Truck shopping.

k4f5x0r
09-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Me and my dad are browsing around at some trucks lately(for me) and We've narrowed it down to the Tacoma and Colorado.

Pro's and cons of the colorado

pros and cons of the tacoma.

In either car were going for the larger engine(i5 in the colorado and i think the tacoma has a 6?)

were looking at 06+. Thanks guys.

CJM
09-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Im not really a GM fan, the build quality is only so so even these days. They ride way to low even for a 4wd truck.

The Tacoma will be a reliable truck, the only issues with them is you must get it undercoated b/c for whatever reason toyota doesnt believe in coating them from the factory.

TGW_400ex
09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Colorados sit lower and have less cab room. I was originally looking at both and ended up geting a Tacoma. One thing though, your going to be paying alot more for a Tacoma compared to a Colorado.

k4f5x0r
09-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Wel I think I have a choice right now. Right now I'm using my dads 06 jeep liberty crd limited(Mercedes 4 cylinder diesel) and I think he will let me keep it, while him and my mom get a new car. That or I could get the Colorado or Tacoma. Opinions?

goldfish
09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I just picked up an 03 tacoma a few months ago. I just have the 2.7L 4 cylinder. It does a fine job hauling the quad around though.

About the undercoating..it only applies to the first gens and it is TOTALLY free. I took my truck to the local dealer and they inspected it, they said it just needed to be recoated and that they'd be calling me to setup an appointment to get it done. If it is bad enough they will literally replace everything under the truck that is affected by the rust.

Anyways.. I'd recommend going with the tacoma. They may cost a little bit more but will run forever!

CJM
09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by goldfish

About the undercoating..it only applies to the first gens and it is TOTALLY free. I took my truck to the local dealer and they inspected it, they said it just needed to be recoated and that they'd be calling me to setup an appointment to get it done. If it is bad enough they will literally replace everything under the truck that is affected by the rust.

Yes and no, the old ones had a defective frame. most of the problem was a design flaw of where the gas tank skid traps dirt and moisture and the frame rots.

New ones are rusty with ease b/c of the cheap coating they use and road salts among other things. It needs to be sprayed with rust converting paint and then painted over with black.

I just did my buddies 06, it has 23k on it and he bought it used and it had more surface rust than my 200k 96 T100 does.

Im a toyota man thru and thru but they aint painting the frames good like they did about 20 years back.

levonskinator
09-29-2010, 02:32 PM
between the two, go with the tacoma for sure. Why did you rule out a ranger?

k4f5x0r
09-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Ford ranger is far too small and.. un accommodating for what i'd like. Its just a very basic truck. Believe me i'd prefer ford in every other instance then this :p

I might stick with the jeep. It depends on my dad really, the jeep is his, so if he wants it back and we pick up something for me to drive im fine with it either way.

Tacoma's come with a five speed right?

EDIT: browsing through, found some that are nice.

EDIT: also it would need to be ext cab or crew cab.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/1980359975.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ctd/1979604541.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/1974457000.html

goldfish
09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
Tacoma's come with a five speed right?

Yes both the 1st and 2nd gens come with the 5 speed option.

Not sure if 4x4 is a priority for you or not but that first link is actually the X-runner so it is NOT 4x4

k4f5x0r
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
yeah 4 wheel is a need for sure.

slightlybent47
09-29-2010, 04:54 PM
I drove a 4x4 Tundra with the big motor that the company supplied me with and it ran great. The motor is strong and revs way faster then a chevy 350.
But the things I didn’t like are that the transmission has no place to add fluid or even check it. It’s sealed and can only be serviced at the dealer. The other thing is that even with a light load in the back it would bottom out the rear suspension when you hit a bump unlike my chevy ½ witch will carry a much heavier load and still not bottom out like the Tundra did.

k4f5x0r
09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I drove a 4x4 Tundra with the big motor that the company supplied me with and it ran great. The motor is strong and revs way faster then a chevy 350.
But the things I didn’t like are that the transmission has no place to add fluid or even check it. It’s sealed and can only be serviced at the dealer. The other thing is that even with a light load in the back it would bottom out the rear suspension when you hit a bump unlike my chevy ½ witch will carry a much heavier load and still not bottom out like the Tundra did.

Im talking about smaller trucks.. s10 size.

440racer66
09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
mine is a 5 speed and it does great you would love a taco there great on gas and the v6 is nice but its not a must.

BLU82
09-29-2010, 06:58 PM
You can get the 5.3 v8 in the colorado :devil:

CJM
09-29-2010, 07:04 PM
FYI: 05-06 tundra, sequoia, V8 4Runner and landcruiser all use the same trans, and your right it doesnt have a dipstick but they say the fluids good for at least 80k.

brian76708
09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
You can get the 5.3 v8 in the colorado :devil:

5.3 Colorado FTW

why not a full size there almost the same price and wouldn't doubt if fuel mileage is not to far off.

k4f5x0r
09-30-2010, 03:54 AM
zero full sizes around here for any good prices. Most likely going to stick with the jeep after talking to my dad.

goldfish
09-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 440racer66
mine is a 5 speed and it does great you would love a taco there great on gas and the v6 is nice but its not a must.

Looks really good man!

What kinda lift you got on it?

As of now my taco has a 3inch lift and I'm wanting a little bit more but the 6 inch lift kits are insanely expensive. Thinking about adding a 3" body lift onto it but worried about it looking kinda goofy

Here's mine...
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4619/truck5s.jpg

DEAL
09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
I just bought a 2010 tacoma 4x4 v6 sr5 6 speed (the v-6 come in 6-speed, the 4cyl come in 5 speed) and I love it.
You cant compare this truck to a colorado, Quality is way better, drives nicer , suposibly easier on gas.
The v-6 is also pretty peppy.
The reliability of the colorado is pretty questionable as well.
While I've heard nothing but good things about the tacoma.

DEAL
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im not really a GM fan, the build quality is only so so even these days. They ride way to low even for a 4wd truck.

The Tacoma will be a reliable truck, the only issues with them is you must get it undercoated b/c for whatever reason toyota doesnt believe in coating them from the factory.

when I bought my tacoma I had the option of getting undercoating through them and they warrenty the truck for 10 years from rust.

CJM
09-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
when I bought my tacoma I had the option of getting undercoating through them and they warrenty the truck for 10 years from rust. Probably a dealer thing, maybe toyota finally got a clue tho.

They did replace tons of frames or buy whole trucks and then eek scrapped them with ruined engines and trans's cause of frame rot. The old ones the body mounts rotted off too (pre tacoma 85-95.5)

brian76708
10-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Probably a dealer thing, maybe toyota finally got a clue tho.

They did replace tons of frames or buy whole trucks and then eek scrapped them with ruined engines and trans's cause of frame rot. The old ones the body mounts rotted off too (pre tacoma 85-95.5)

its not even a coating issue its the fact they used ****ty metal why all those tacomas got recalled for there frames rotting out. and i think its occurred in truck 2004 and older not positive on that though.

DEAL
10-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
its not even a coating issue its the fact they used ****ty metal why all those tacomas got recalled for there frames rotting out. and i think its occurred in truck 2004 and older not positive on that though.

I think it was until 98 , I see alot of 99+ still around.

As for gm putting a 5.3 in a colorado .. Kind of brings back memories of when they stuffed the 6.5TD in the 1500 pickups in the mid 90s ... and failed to beef up any of the suspention or drive train.
I really hope they didn't make that same mistake again ..

DEAL
10-01-2010, 05:03 PM

I believe it was something to do with water laying in the frame rails and rotting from the inside out.

mineralgrey01gt
10-01-2010, 05:05 PM
watch the gas pedal on the toyota

CJM
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Its really hard to say in all honestly, they are keeping it kinda with disinformation..

What I do know is part of the fault is on US Dana corp who made the frames for them, Toyota has a HUGE lawsuit against them..something about a quality control issue. Then there is the issue of the rear leaf spring area where the gas tank is holding dirt and water, the frames arent sealed like most trucks, etc, etc. The recall is from 95.5-04 actually. Im a huge toyota guy and was very disappointed in them. Even the newer tacomas, 1st gen tundra and new truck/suv line up has rust issues. Like I said, they dont coat them and liquid road salt eats them.

BTW, for those who dunno: the older toyotas (pre tacoma and 4runners) also rotted out the frames, mostly the body mounts tho.